Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

Thank you very much @paulo for this clear and honest explanation. I really appreciate the time and effort you spend on creating fairness for our Chinese Postcrossing friends and for everyone else.

19 Likes

Hi Paulo. Will you change this message?

Note the 2nd to last paragraph where he says he is working on this and it will take a few days to figure it all out. Since he created the site he knows how to add and subtract things.

14 Likes

Many thanks Paulo for your hard work trying to make this project run smoothly.

11 Likes

the graph is interesting, putting such a graph for every country on the postal monitor seems nice

1 Like

Based on my understanding of how Postcrossing works and the comment below,

my take is that the uniform 60-day expiry rule has become unwieldy and created a great amount of user dissatisfaction. Of course, the pandemic and large-scale, unpredictable lockdowns in mainland China are the external causes, but it doesn’t change the fact that the expiry rule is the internal cause.

As I responded earlier, the line has already been drawn by this suspension.

Glad to see substantive measures are in the works! The throttle will shed light on the current situation. To me, there is a fair chance that slow or unreliable mail delivery to China is the new normal at least for the coming several years. After all, it has never been fast compared to European and many other countries. And the China situation exceeds the limits of Postal Monitor.

So far we were supposed to tolerate expiry and non-registration as part of the process until this suspension. For those who do not wish to send postcards to China, which I think is understandable and justifiable considering potential time and money loss, they will soon be confronted with the same situation after 3 months. One direction that this suspension is leading to seems to be revision of the 60-day expiry rule by introducing a second category of slots or other better alternatives.

1 Like

Hello, now let me speak up :smile:

On September 2nd I sent a official second card (after the first card seems to have disappeared, not quite 200 days yet) to China, by registered mail. The card was recorded at least in China’s postal system on Sept. 9.

Now I’m very curious to see if the recipient will log in again after almost a month offline…

PS:
Normally I don’t send official cards by registered mail :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing this information, it is very interesting! It’s good to hear that your card was registered, though I suppose it may still be held (or take a long time to travel).

I have only one official card to China right now. It is expired with 174 days in transit. The most recent card the user registered is from April 2022. So this may not be a reflection of the postal system but rather, the habits of this user.

I am glad that the forum remains open for those who would like to send cards to China without the throttle. I am also glad that this is something that Postcrossing is monitoring on the official site.

May I add a few words of caution… Personally I am always irritated when some registered mail comes and I am not there to sign for it. These items are then kept at the main city post office, which is quite out of the way without convenient bus connections. It is OK if it is some very important documents or such, but once I was summoned to that post office to collect a registered item, it took me more than half a day to reach there and back, and what was it… a postcard from Brazil with only “warm greetings” written on it and the card of very poor quality…So please refrain at all means from sending registered postcards!!!
In your case, it seems that the card arrived to the Chinese postal system, but maybe the person was not at home when the mail person came around and cannot take the long trip to collect it. (I am speaking about Beijing, perhaps it is easier in other cities).
Thanks for sharing your experience.

7 Likes

Postcards I’ve sent to China in the last months (not officials) are all arrived in about one month as usual.
The only unexpected has been an envelope I sent in november 2021and that I’ve received back… now :open_mouth:, with “refused” ticked on a sticker put on, while another sticker says that mail has been disinfected.
The recipient said me that the envelope never arrived at his home (so he didn’t refused to receive) so I think there had been a problem in the sorting center.

5 Likes

Agree. I have the same experience.Expect that, Usually the post man deliver my mail once a week even the mail arrived early but will be delivered at the end of the week.

I have to say, I found some thing are really interest :joy: The postcard I send to the Slovakia was just took about 2 weeks, the cards I send to the USA were just take 20 days!!! It‘s so fast!!!

1 Like

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thats good news. Thanks to Paulo for reopening the way to China.

3 Likes

Yesterday I received a card from America(from 8.4 to 9.12), two cards from Malaysia(from 8.22 to 9.7) and a card from Russia(8.15 to 9.7). I was surprised by the fast postal speed. Hope that will be a positive signal that international mails are becoming normal again, maybe gradually, but better than nothing📬

5 Likes

Any updates on when we can expect to see China addresses being given out again?

I drew a China address on Sep 13, so the throttle is now in effect.

2 Likes

Same here. I suppose unpinning of this thread by Paulo is kinda signal of the reopen of the route.

According to my observation, import exchange office decides the delivery time. Among the three exchange offices in CHN, Guangzhou exchange office is the fastest one, Beijing is the following, and Shanghai is the worst.
In late August, I received 4 postcards from Macau/HK/Malaysia which were sent in February, and one of them writes “Happy New Year!” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It takes more than 6 months to travel to my mailbox.
I wonder when China Post can improve the situation.

5 Likes

Yesterday I received a Chinese address through an official postcrossing. Today I took a postcard to the post office. I hope that the postcard will arrive soon enough, up to 60 days.:blush::airplane:

7 Likes