Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

Stay strong, fellow Chinese Postcrossers. :heart: This suspension is very much temporary and you will receive all your due postcards. You guys are a major part of the Postcrossing community. I did a little calculation for the top 10 active countries in Postcrossing using a received divided by sent formula:

1. Germany: 11,161,410 received divided by 11,177,796 sent = 1.00 (rounded)

2. Russia: 7,873,914 received divided by 8,030,471 sent = 0.98

3. USA: 7,793,828 received divided by 7,833,920 sent = 0.99

4. Netherlands: 4,991,387 received divided by 4,929,911 sent = 1.01

5. Finland: 3,998,963 received divided by 3,969,663 sent = 1.01 (rounded)

6. China: 2,665,926 received divided by 2,800,179 sent = 0.95

7. Taiwan: 2,727,708 received divided by 2,780,211 sent = 0.98

8. Belarus: 2,602,046 received divided by 2,575,834 sent = 1.01

9. Czech Republic: 1,793,386 received divided by 1,763,915 sent = 1.01 (rounded)

10. Japan: 1,606,079 received divided by 1,593,953 sent = 1.01 (rounded)

I got these stats from each country’s page on the main website. You may also do the calculations. Now, if you look at the percentage points, unfortunately, China’s percentage is the lowest in that list and when only 5% of that 0.05 is arriving, it can get frustrating, right? Plus, you’d get an ugly warning for not registering postcards since there are postcards already traveling to you before this little suspension.

And please don’t worry that your address won’t be given out to others currently. As I have said, you will continue receiving the postcards stuck at your regional and local postal facilities! Just keep a little faith.

I hope you guys successfully ward off COVID and things get back to normal across the entire country. :heart: :heart: :heart:

22 Likes

I agree with most of your points, but I have a slightly different opinion on the “better way”.

In my own opinion, the result of the solution in this case must be the same, but the solution process can be different. (Like mandatory turning on inactive mode? Because many Chinese members turned on this option at the beginning) “Better way” can only refer to the method that can accept the result faster. It’s just based on the degree of acceptance and not what kind of voting, because the result is definitely not to invent postcards in China. It’s a must!

1 Like

Concerning expectations I wanted to add something, but couldn’t edit my post due to slow mode. :upside_down_face:

We all have to reconsider our expectations when we have recieved further information about a problem and are able to better understand the decision. It simply doesn’t help to stubbornly stick with our first expectations just because we don’t like the solution. We have to rethink our expectations when we can see the bigger picture, that’s what adults do. Sometimes we have to admit to ourselves, and to the parties involved in the discussion, that our expectations weren’t appropriate.

There’s a saying : “Wenn das die Lösung ist, will ich mein Problem zurück!” / "If this is the solution, I want my problem back! " :wink: Sometimes a solution sucks, but has to be made nevertheless because it’s the rational, responsible thing to do.

I’m absolutely sure that the admins have thought about solutions with lesser impact. But they had to find a responsible solution regarding the senders too - in my opinion, you can’t rely only on the receivers when the issue is so big and pressing.

14 Likes

I tried to make it pretty clear that I was only responding to the few vocal Chinese users. I do believe I said that exactly and followed it by thanking the majority of users from China for being reasonable in the way they expressed themselves.

I am not just bringing things up at random over and over again as you have accused. I am responding DIRECTLY to new comments being made and have been careful to hit reply and quote so others could see exactly what I am taking issue with.

I am sorry that you take issue with my approach. We are all different on how we choose to handle things. But I assure you, I have nothing against Chinese users. I have issues with some of the things that were said by specific Postcrossers, and many of the people I have replied to were not from China.

I have said a few times now that I feel badly for everyone affected by the backlog and hope everything is restored quickly. Of course, anyone is allowed to express their feelings and I hope no one heard me say that they shouldn’t.

7 Likes

I can understand the decision as I think it’s frustrating for those who can only send 5-10 postcards when they have to wait forever to send new cards because so many cards expire. I myself don’t care about some long-time-travelling cards as I don’t use all spots, I’m sending more cards through RRs and tags. But I guess it’s not possible to give Chinese addresses only to people that can send more than 20 cards or something like that.

In 2022 I received 16 official cards from China that travelled between 17 and 177 (yes, 177) days. I was a little bit surprised to receive a card in May with Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year on it :joy: Recently I got a card from China in a RR after only 7 days.

In 2022 I sent 7 cards to China. 5 arrived within 58-94 days. One is expired with 85 days so maybe will still arrive. And one is travelling for 24 days now.

All Chinese people can still be active in the forum and I think there are enough people who like to exchange cards with China.

6 Likes

Since I apparently quoted @littlesthobo wrongly in my post above ⚠️ Temporary mail suspension to China - #349 by Xute. I apologize, I would delete the tag there if I could. I never intended to say that she or any other users expressed bad opinions about all Chinese users.

What I meant and I can tell it again (not exactly in my own words):

• Yes, it is okay to condemn such overly rude and aggressive comments.
  • Yes, responding to these comments with further aggression is counterproductive.
  • Yes, Chinese users feel blindsided by the decision.
  • Yes, it’s okay for them to feel that way!

I was trying to make last two points as important and recognized as first two.

(I’m sorry to use your words, Rebecca, @PinkNoodle, but you formulated them perfectly)

7 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate that as well as the resulting discussion via PM.

I do not disagree with anything “you” said there. I especially think it’s fine for people to feel whatever they feel and to appropriately express it.

However, I do think you may be confusing assertiveness for aggression. I do think it is fair to speak directly (but politely) and hold someone accountable for inappropriate words and actions. I know tone is difficult through text and do think assertiveness can easily be mistaken for aggression, even when it is not how the poster is feeling.

4 Likes

I don’t mind if the postcards take awhile…I have had very few postcards that have really gone missing to or from china. Even if they are registered long after the expiration date. I trust the wisdom of the people in charge of postcrossing. That said, I don’t mind tagging people in China in the forum tags. I enjoy receiving postcards from China, it’s honestly sometimes kind of cool to get one that has taken so long on its journey.

7 Likes

If you have posted on this thread more than 10 times and are not an admin then you’ve already ‘splained WAY too much. Give it a rest at this point. I don’t think anyone cares about the excruciating minutia of your reasoning and what you meant or didn’t mean to say in order to “correct” someone else’s thinking. It is now just tiresome and nothing new is being added to the discussion.

21 Likes

It will be noticed when a large number of cards that have not yet arrived are registered.

18 Likes

I think here the point was not the children/age group, but the situation that a “rule” is taken in use, and not informed before the game, not even during the game. I think this is good example.

(I understand it’s hard to predict this situation what happened here, but still.)

And no, we are not a group of adults. (This was mentioned somewhere else too, so I think it’s important to remember: Even children can join, although with adult supervision.
But anyone over 13 is free to be here as themselves.
Even from adult members I don’t assume everyone being “fully developed” because it’s not something a person can decide. )

@TwoDoggies , your post above, what new did it add to the discussion? :slight_smile:
Are you in a position to tell what post amount is proper?
No, but seriously, in another topic it was highly complained that a person edited their post, not making a new post each time.
Let others write, maybe they feel they are not understood. Surely someone cares to read the reasoning, like me :slight_smile: :hugs:

3 Likes

This is probably quite a common problem, in my 5-year career on Postcsrossing, unfortunately, most of the cards that were lost to the ether after a year were to China. The users sent 2-3 cards each and they were never seen again… and how can I predict it, who will get bored of it so quickly? Everyone started once and when I see a new profile, I am aware of it. But it is an exaggeration that it is so common and nothing can be done about it :confused: The cost of shipping with a card is now huge thing, and wasting money on something that probably in fact - arrived - but was never registered is not very nice only just because I hit the “temporary trend”. Even at the moment I have such cases which will join to the ether soon plus of course these that are waiting somewhere now on the road.

4 Likes

Please tell me whether postcards already traveling to China and especially expired ones will be automatically registered? It’s not the senders’ fault that China Post works so badly.

8 Likes

I’m curious about these numbers,

• The number of postcards sent to China during the 60 days before suspension
  • Among those, the number of postcards still traveling
  • The number of active users in China (under various definitions of “active”)
  • The numbers of traveling postcards to active and non-active users in China

It doesn’t work badly, it’s under lockdown restrictions.
Not the same thing.

1 Like

everything I sent to China after August 2021 went into arrears. a couple of postcards were registered this year, but the rest was gone. So in general, nothing gets there and it’s not my fault. I have a lot of addresses in overdue and on the way there, and I would be grateful if the administrators would still register them automatically. All the postcards have been sent, if one day the participants in China will still be able to receive them, it will be a nice bonus for everyone

2 Likes

Just for my own interest I made a note the other day of the number of cards owed to the PXers to whom my cards are travelling - 97 cards were owed to four people. One card has since been registered (travelled 67 days) - mine! I hope this is a good omen for the safe arrival of of the rest of them.

1 Like

In my opinion, China Post could handle the situation better. Anything more would probably start arguments, so I’m leaving it at that.

6 Likes

Do your parents know what you write here?
According to your profile, your are just 11 years old, and the activities of minors have to be monitored by their parents (according to postcrossing rules).

11 Likes

Please look to the postal monitor - there is an information about it…

8 Likes