Lovely cards, ugly cards, boring cards - what is the difference?

@clubpostcards We swapped a postcard on this forum and I was really pleased to receive the Zen rock garden card and think many people on the official part of the site would enjoy receiving one too. For me, I love to do more research about the city/ country or landmark etc shown on the postcards I have received. It allows you to see and learn about places and traditions you may not be aware of so your card was very welcome.

4 Likes

Of course itā€™s your choice to do so and I donā€™t want to interfere with your decision. Iā€™ll just say that I wouldnā€™t mind so much if I was you. People are generally often way nicer than we think. :slight_smile:
(says the person with anxiety! XD)

9 Likes

@AWMC
yes, i remember of our exchange. i thought the Paralympics stamp on the Zen rock garden card would be the best match out of all cards i have. i am so pleased you like it. pleased to meet you again on the forum too. thank you so much for the comment, really.

@Axolotl_
i have recently re-started to send officials again after like 7 months break. officially or not, i have the impression there are so many young people who are busy seeking mostly their favourites. i just tend to think Zen themed cards are too difficult for them, generally. so again, i refrain from sending them officially.

thank you so much for your nice comment, though.

2 Likes

The only kind of card that I find boring are those pictures of something so nondescript that it can be used for any place. For example, there are those cards that show an ocean wave with ā€œGreetings from Floridaā€ on it. Then another postcard uses the exact same picture (not similar, the exact picture) and it reads ā€œGreetings from California.ā€ It wonā€™t bother me, though, if the sender writes something interesting, personal, etc.

1 Like

@clubpostcards, in the unlikely event you receive my name in Postcrossing, you are very welcome to send me a card about Ryōanji or indeed any rock garden or karesansui. Or any temple or shrine, too! I love such places.

I would suggest that if you send a postcard of Temple or Shrine X, then as @Schohema said, why not mention what about it is interesting to you? ā€œI spent a happy day in this temple garden escaping the summer heatā€ or ā€œmy nephew had his Shichi-Go-San at this shrineā€ or ā€œthis temple has the most beautiful tiny garden and almost no one knows about itā€ ā€¦ or whatever it may be. I visited SanjÅ«sangen-dō, with its thousand statues of Kannon, and overheard a tour guide saying that every statueā€™s face was unique. But this is how he chose to say it: he said, ā€œIf you look carefully, among them you will find the face of your mother-in-law.ā€ I thought that was very memorable!

Honestly, there arenā€™t many pictures that I find completely boring. I suppose if itā€™s a postcard showing a nondescript office building or a dull-looking street, that would not excite me. But, if the person writes on the back what it is they love about it, or something unusual that happened there? Suddenly there will be interest!

5 Likes

@doryfera

oh wow, thank you so much !

i wish, wish, wish everyone on Postcrossing had a good and positive understanding like you do.

2 Likes

I know a little about Zen Buddhism. Iā€™m Chinese.
Japanese rock garden was invented by Japanese. KaReSanSui de su ne.
Thereā€™s a philosophy here.
It is a kind of very advanced beauty. I think most Chinese can understand its beauty.
Maybe you donā€™t know that in Chinese movies, Japanese rock garden has been imitated.
We like it.

3 Likes

Very interesting discussion.
I guess Iā€™m not a fan of too touristy cards of places if you know what I mean?
But then again, it very much depends on the message that is written.

For example sending a very touristy card from Sidney that has Sidney written on it and maybe a little image but not much else might be boring to me. However, if the user wrote about a personal experience they had at this place or write about their favorite cafe, thing to do etc. in Sidney - the card immediately feels personal and I might favorite it.

I guess as long as I feel effort or care /thoughts put in the card, I like it. Thus, a great card with a very non-personal back or a boring card with an exciting backā€¦ Iā€™d prefer the boring card. :smiley:

3 Likes

I think this would fall under the Boring Card category - but donā€™t get me wrong, I absolutely love this card and am delighted to have it. It makes me laugh!

Why is it ā€œboringā€? Well, way off in the distance there you have an interesting building with trees as a backdrop, but instead most of the card is the road. Now, to be fair that means they did get the sign in the photo, but a little bit of zoom wouldnā€™t have hurt anyone.

1 Like

What is the sign saying? :sweat_smile:
It looks a bit vintagy?

Itā€™s a list of things at the site :slight_smile:

Campgrounds
Picnic area
Bungalows
Restaurant
Wharf

1 Like

Ohā€¦ I was thinking it might be something funny. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve faved some of them because Iā€™m curious whatsā€™s written on them (and canā€™t read that properly on some of them on PC) - same reason I started collecting the ā€œGreetings fromā€¦ā€ series - wanted to know whatā€™s on them in text (and some have backgrounds I like)

people might find that boring, I love it because of the wheelchair ramp

and that because itā€™s an electric wheelchair

4 Likes

Wow, that Czech stamp is awesome. I hope to receive one some day!

3 Likes