Listing Expired Postcards on Profile

I always send another card to expired cards but I’ve sent one twice to the same person and she has yet to either register it or receive it. I think it’s the former not the latter. Makes me look irresponsible.

Allison

Unless the person you’ve sent to has told you she received the card and won’t register it, you have no reason to assume this is so - why believe the worst? And if she has told you she will not register it, please contact admin and let them know.

There is no public record of how many of your cards expired, only the admins know this, and they’d know it whether it’s in your profile or not.

Postcrossing admins have access to a lot more data than can be seen publicly. They can monitor people who consistently ‘send’ cards that don’t arrive, or consistently ‘don’t receive’ cards, and they will follow up with those users and take action if necessary.

Everyone has some expired cards, and that’s fine.

7 Likes

I’ve seen in many profiles that people keep track of this and I don’t know the reason. Do they dissapear from your “traveling postcards” after a year? You have to write it on your profile because is the only way to have the information at hand? And what’s the reason for doing this?
I hope this is the right place to ask this questions and I’m really eager to learn from your experience. Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, after my postcard is sent I don’t think about it anymore. A lot of mail gets lost we have no power over it so I learned to let go.

11 Likes

What’s even worse is when the sender decides that a card is expired after less than 60 days and they list your postcard publicly as expired, even though the 60 days hasn’t been reached.

I registered a postcard a while ago now that was within 60 days of being sent, but because the sender had deemed 40 days as too long for the postcard to be traveling without being registered (during all of the pandemic lock downs, no less), my postcard ID and I were listed on their profile as having an expired postcard because they had deemed I had simply chosen not to register their card - that’s my rephrasing of their words after I registered the postcard within the 60 day period and noticed myself on their self-determined list of expired cards. I queried them about this and the web site rules, and their response was basically, “my profile, my rules”. Not cool!

8 Likes

The ‘strange’ policy of this user aside, there’s not really a lasting damage for you to be on this list.
For postcrossing statistics, only their numbers count.
For other users, it would be a rare coincidence that a potential sender reads exactly that profile, then draws your adress and then thinks/remembers ‘hey, there was an expired card to them, maybe I don’t bother to send at all’.
For your standing, the same. 99,99% won’t judge you because a card to you was described as expired somewhere, because they know it’s not your fault*

*there are some users with ‘more suspicious’ registrations patterns, that sometimes are frowned upon by other users, but even for them, most postcrossing interactions work smoothly without any harm

3 Likes

I have a friend that writes the expired ids on her profile because the number of her sent and received cards differs a lot, so she just wants to show that she have sent them…
I don’t see much logic on this, I’m writing it here just as another point of view.

3 Likes

I don’t see any sense in such a list in your profile, as it isn’t useful for the members getting my address to send me a card.

(And the odds that someone I once sent a card to, over one year ago, will now draw my address and see their name in my list? Very small in my opinion.)

But I keep a list with my expired cards for myself, as I want to know what percentage of cards gets lost during a year. :wink:

1 Like

There is NO reason, in my opinion, for doing this. Moreover, I take a very dim view of people who do this because in a very subtle way it is blackballing the other individual without cause. You really have no way in determining why someone went into expire mode: sickness, unemployment, forgetfulness, lost mail, etc.

4 Likes

I have few slots, so do worry about it until expiration. Once the replacement card is drawn, I don’t care. Agreed that listing those on profiles in general is un-necessary; mentioning specific accounts seems wrong (should be prohibited).

1 Like

Honestly, It doesn’t make sense to me. I have a Word file just to me, and it’s all…I don’t think interesting for someone reading my profile to see this information…

4 Likes

I don’t keep track of expired cards. It’s not the receiver’s fault it didn’t make it to their mailbox. I understand Postcrossing needs to have a cut off date. A full year is very reasonable. That said, sometimes I send a second postcard after about 6 months on my Traveling list, just in case! And, as a matter of fact, this Saturday, July 16, I received a lovely postcard from Taiwan that was date stamped December 2019!!! I sent the person an email letting them know it finally made it to Florida! I love Postcrossing!

9 Likes

Isn’t this recorded under your travelling postcards up to one year anyway?

1 Like

But not beyond one year.

2 Likes

Yes, when I look at my traveling cards I can see and count the expired ones up to 365 days, but then the information disappears. And I want to be able to follow up with the expired cards per year. The list I’m keeping per year allows me to add “expired” to an ID and to count these entries in a simpler way.

For example, in 2021 I wrote 1.207 cards; 38 expired; that’s 3,15%. In 2020 I had 4,29% expired cards. :wink:

And just to be sure, I had a look at the Postcrossing Stats report we recieve once a year. There’s no mention of expired cards, only sent ones - logical, as only these enter in the stats.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s addressed somewhere in the FAQs (sorry can’t link at the moment) and even there it’s acknowledged as completely useless :joy:

F.A.Q. on the main site: Why do some members have a list of expired Postcard IDs on their profile?

2 Likes

I keep a private doc of my IDs older than a year along with the dates/members/countries. Most of them have now been inactive for years. On my profile I listed only the percent, which I update against my sent total every once in a while. Last time it was 2.33% - to me it’s encouraging, it means that more than 98% of the people I send cards to are reliable and honest (yes, more, not less - we have to account for life really getting in the way, and for a bit of mail system unreliability, not just for newbies getting bored here).

On a side note, I have a friend who recently changed her address, and even if she still has access to her old one for a little while, and even if she went inactive one month or so in advance, she felt it would be kind to autoregister the cards on way to her. I was sad to see that list - around 20 cards, most from members that maybe never sent them in the first place, as they have sent few cards and have been offline for months. As far as I know, only one of them reached her since then, and only because it was reasonable for it to have such a long journey. Maybe 2 or 3 more coming from overseas will arrive, too.