Keeping getting the same countries (sending and receiving)

See the 2nd chart.

2 Likes

beautifully said :blush:

1 Like

Totally normal - most people receive about 20% of their cards from Germany. It is the most active country. 21.8% of my received are from Germany, according to my stats page (you can see everybody’s stats on their profile) - 102 out of 457.

As others said, it’s not possible to pick countries - that’s the whole point of Postcrossing, the surprise! (okay less surprising when you know that one every 4-5 cards is from Germany, but still ;)). But if you want to choose or vary, then yes just make arrangements with people on the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just a little follow up on that rant I made a couple of months ago. Some of the repeated countries expired, but one was registered a few days after it expired, and the person that got it was so happy and it was such a joyful Hurray message that it made me happy.

Postcrossing can override my settings any time it wants and I will make more people happy.

5 Likes

When I was in Mexico for a 2 week holiday…I was getting assigned countries that I’ve never sent postcards to before

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer! :wink: :wink:

No, it’s only curiosity and because I think that in this way the experience lose part of surprise, because I know that one every 3-4 cards it’ll be from Germany.

Thanks for your answer, anyway! :wink: :wink:

Yes. I totally understand that :blush:. What I mean by this is that someone might interpret it differently. Plus, it’s not a completely imaginary problem. Fellow postcrosser from Poland once admitted that he does not send cards to China (if I remember correctly), because they always take very long time to arrive and about a year later he got a message from the support team that unfortunately they have grounds to suspect him of intolerance towards certain nationalities. I was surprised that it was monitored so closely but he was in fact to blame for himself :wink:.

I also noticed that when requesting addresses during the night (around 2-3 AM Paris timezone), I receive non-European countries more often.

4 Likes

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

I am a night owl, you know :blush:. I think that then members from, for example, the USA register their postcards and their address goes to the pool. Or it’s pure coincidence.

The theory (myth) of different countries at different times is discussed from time to time, I think to no real resp. only anecdotal proof.

I am open for the idea, but I see a weakness: users in Asian countries or the Americas register mostly European (DE) cards too, so it’s European (DE) adresses that go into the pool. So unless you think that CN-CN, TW-TW, US-US is a widespread phenomenon, I fear the time when one requests adresses does not play any (big) role …

4 Likes

Rhythm

2 Likes

As someone who just started PC a few weeks ago, I’m actually very happy to get adresses from Germany: since I send them from neighbouring Luxembourg, they arrive super quick, which helps me send more cards down the road!

… I also get to practice my German which has become very rusty lol

15 Likes

Expect an update from you when your sent and received reach the level of 500 :person_raising_hand:t2: @lepotirond

1 Like

I also expect to be fluent in German by then :joy:

6 Likes

And familiar with common patterns of content :laughing: @lepotirond

1 Like

I know it’s unsavory to complain… but I’m just so confused! The last 8 addresses I’ve requested have been to the US and Germany (4 of each)… and I know it’s not about the country but the people and there are so many different kinds of people in one country to connect with but it just seems so weird that they are the only two i’ve been getting now. (I’ve made sure to uncheck the preference for same country traveling). I just got my mom into Postcrossing and we request new ones at the same time. She’s been getting so many cool and different places but I just keep getting the same two. What am I doing wrong? Is this normal?

Have a look in your profile settings, you may have “Send to repeated countries” checked.

If you uncheck that, you will be less likely to have cards travelling to the same country at the same time.

2 Likes

Yeah! That’s what I meant in my post about unchecking the same country traveling. It’s already unchecked and has been from the beginning. :frowning:

Oh oops, I missed that bit of your post. Speed reading again. Sorry to have been unhelpful :confused: I’m not sure what’s going on, Canada doesn’t have a ton of postal restrictions so there shouldn’t be anything stopping a bigger range of countries.

1 Like