Japan Post - How To Get Fukein / Pictorial Postmark

Hello!

I will be visiting Japan next week and I’m very interested in collecting Fukein postmarks at the local post offices.

Do all post office have the special postmark or do only some post offices have them? Am I able to have the pictorial postmark stamped on a book or must they be on a postcard? I currently have a book that I use to collect postmarks from post offices in Malaysia. It would be nice if I can do that in Japan too.

I can speak some basic Japanese so if you have any post office phrases that you think might be helpful, please let me know. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hello!

That will be nice experience :blush:

Not all post office, but mainly major post office have Fukei-in(風景印). You can find where they are and what kind of Fukei-in they have on this website (in Japanese).

It can be stamped on any paper or books if it has more than 63 yen stamps (any combination of stamps are ok).

You may be asked whether you send this paper with Fukei-in or take home.

Please put Fukei-in?
Fukei-in wo oshite itadakemasenka?

3 Likes

http://divisions.jp/
The Japanese site is a bit old, but I check here to see if there are any Fuukeiin before I go.
I also have it stamped in my book.

3 Likes

@raichiaki @MAKIKO-S thank you!

1 Like

According to JP Wikipedia, out of 24,050 post offices in Japan, 11,139 have scenic cancels. So if you look at a Google Map of a certain area of Tokyo for example, almost half of the post offices that show up will have scenic cancels.

1 Like

Thanks!