Is it wrong to say I won’t register folded cards?

Oh, I didn’t remember that! Thanks for clarifying, it seems that my memory is not that reliable :see_no_evil:

I think this has been discussed in so many topics and I can remember something from the old forum :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Maybe many just say “card” in whatever language, and don’t think it so thoroughly.

1 Like

Well… The rules say ‘postcards’ - “All POSTCARDS must be registered” :wink: Folded note-cards are not postcards, are they? This has nothing to do with not matching one’s personal preferences - they are simply not postcards, so it is the sender who violates the rules in the first place, not the person who doesn’t want to register this “letter on a note card” that was sent instead of a postcard :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I already linked the official answer a few posts above. So there is no need to guess any further :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s folded cards are not postcards, only postcards MUST be registered. If you’re happy with folded cards you MAY register them. Whatever you choose, contact the admins about it with scans of both sides of the card so they can explain the difference to the sender. If you choose to register you are asked to kindly explain the difference in the hurray message.

Simple, right?

11 Likes

The BEST answer here, imho, everything else turns a bit into entitlement. :exclamation:

Remember, instead of bills and advertisement you had something personally directed to you. Sure, a folded card might be not as good as a postcard (depends on the design—I have seen really beautiful ones that were 10 times better than a postcard!!!), but it’s not the end of the world.

16 Likes

When i start postcrossing , i don’t have many postcards , i look on the internet for blanco postcards , some People want anymore the cards , , for starting postcrossing i tought i have a mix of cards
But when i came at home there are a lot of folded cards , and yes i send a few
In Belgium some People think folded cards are postcards , the reason is, you send it by mail so it’s a postcard ,

1 Like

If I received one and it was very nice, I would send polite thanks and mention that it’s not a postcard. Otherwise, I would report it and wait for the admins to tell me if I should register. You are only required to register postcards but you should also try to be kind.

Still, you need to draw the line somewhere. I’ve received loads of random rubbish including church booklets, A4 sized potato prints and newspaper clippings. If in doubt, report and wait for an answer.

3 Likes

No, it’s not a postcard. But if one decides not to register, always contact the team so they can contact the sender.

that’s something different. As long as they are homemade postcards they apply to the rules and must be registered. What a sad experience for your son!

3 Likes

@woven I wonder why you put a disclaimer in your profile about something that should be clear to all of us. Probably frustration. And avoiding receiving non-postcards. If you don’t receive them you don’t have to report them.

I also put a disclaimer recently out of frustration but have mixed feelings about doing this. Do we have to educate others? While the rules are clear, I wonder myself…nu

Usualy I go inactive in december as this month has the highest foldedcard score. Now I have a handfull waiting to be reported including reusedcard and half of a folded card. I do not register them, usualy. Postcrossing Team deals with it, we hope.

Maybe we should have not disclaimer in our userprofile and also not any negative sent instructions.

2 Likes

It’s about folded cards and not handmade postcards.

If it happened that 18 of your (handmade) postcards weren’t registered perhaps there was something else wrong, e.g. no ID (not all postcrossers know that they can get help for searching for the ID) or wrong / missing address, or it was a thin paper and the cards got lost / destroyed via travelling.

It seems really strange that none of your homemade cards reaches its destination.

Maybe you can show one of those cards in the topic of handmade postcards?

2 Likes

Imo you do you, but is it that relevant to write it? From your 1029 cards received how many folded cards or whatever cards that arrived to you and they don’t fit the the definition of “postcard” ?

I personally cba to care about what to register and what not to register. It has ID and numbers it has stamps then I’ll register it (not a collector myself and my cards will be kept in a box that rarely to be seen anymore), and if it’s not a postcard that fits the definition, I just write it on the hurray message later that maybe next time they should stick to the rules to send a postcard

Talking about it to admins might be the best option but sometime I think they’re a small team and I don’t want to make them work harder for some things that can be solved by myself or in this case, yourself :slight_smile:

So yes, just do what’s right for you!

9 Likes

I always send postcards and not folded cards, and I always register what I get, even if I don’t like it. However, if I read an unpleasant threat like this on a profile, I would honestly be tempted to send the ugliest postcard from my stash. It always annoys me when people make demands in their profiles in an unpleasant tone (which this is, in my opinion) and it really doesn’t encourage me to put in lots of effort to choose a nice card like I would for kinder profiles…

Polite requests for preferences are fine and I’ll always try to accommodate these as much as possible and choose a card that the person might like :grinning:. I find most postcrossers put in some effort too… I’ve only ever received a couple of “duds” and I just register them, bin them and move on…

17 Likes

So insisting on the rules to be regarded is demanding? That is interesting!

2 Likes

It’s the tone used that is demanding… A gentle, polite reminder to not send greeting cards is fine, but the phrasing matters. Maybe this is a cultural/language difference, and politeness is very important in British culture, so that type of threat would offend me… Maybe rules are very important in German culture and so this would not offend you :grinning:

11 Likes

don’t forget the language level… when the skill level in English is quite low, maybe one is only able to phrase a very simple sentence which might sound rude… but it’s not intended at all.

4 Likes

I am not happy with that tone either! In so far I aggree your statement!
Actually the whole paragraph about not registering folded cards is superfluous!

1 Like

Thank you, Cassiopheia! The old forum is probably where I read that we do not have to register folded cards.

1 Like

how about explaining the difference of postcards and folded cards in your profile in an easy English and ask people to send you postcards not folded cards instead of mentioning that you will not register folded cards? it can be a bit shocking for some people to read that you will not register folded cards.

personally, i appreciate folded cards as they are often times more expensive and people tend to write very nice longer messages on it for me plus decorations.

16 Likes

I think you should register that and tell the sender that this is a folded card and also send a explanation of folded card(maybe from Wikipedia):relaxed:
And you can state that you are not a fan of folded card on the profile with the explanation from Wikipedia as well😉

1 Like

Ok, the replies have been interesting!

I have contacted support in the past when I received a folded/greeting card. I just could not remember how I knew that was an option. (So thanks again, @Cassiopheia!) I just wanted to inform the user, who included that note to me, when I register their postcard.

Another thing, the user’s note specifically stating economic circumstances rubbed me the wrong way… I’m going to have to agree with @S_Tuulia that it’s not an excuse. If Postcrossing is a financial burden to someone, then maybe they should not be using it at the moment. And if that’s not the issue, I’m sure there are other sites out there where you can send folded cards, letters, or whatever you would like. The Postcrossing forum is a good place to do that!

Also, I have never mentioned “I will not register folded cards” in my profile before because it really did not happen often. As I stated in my initial post, I only included it in my profile recently because I got about 3 in one week from 3 different countries. And I did not feel like contacting support for 3 different cards. (You were spot on, @HM! Two were Christmas cards; I was definitely frustrated.) But I will see if I can get around to contacting support about those folded cards now. And I will try to reword the sentence in my profile.

Edit: My issue is only with receiving folded/greeting cards. I actually have no problem with receiving handmade postcards or even the FRONT of a folded card as a postcard.

7 Likes