Is Canada Post poor?

Unfortunately I doubt they want people to send more snailmail. :cry:

Many, many years ago I talked to a man who worked for our post (Austria) and he said, ideally they would like to deliver only advertisments without individual addresses on.

No “Edelpost” as we call it. Mail addressed to an individual.

Postcrossing cards are the epitome of “Edelpost” (“precious mail”). :heartpulse:

I, too, mourn that the stamps of the few cards I get from Canada are so tiny. :disappointed:

The glory of Canada Post…

6 Likes

I just wish Canada Post would make the landscape stamps bigger. A stamp like this small size is just only suitable for printing flags or heads or other simple designs.

4 Likes

I send a prepaid Canada Post card occasionally, because some are quite pretty. I myself love getting cool stamps on my cards and I couldn’t imagine not sending a stamp or two or three on postcards…so I bought a bunch of the low denomination stamps issued in 2007 that are still available and put those on, just for interest.

3 Likes

I just mentioned this on another thread, thought I’d repeat it here…

Yesterday I had a long chat with a clerk at my city’s main Post Office yesterday. (I was complaining about the lack of commemorative international stamps, ha ha!)

She suggested that I just use 3 “P” (permanent / domestic) stamps. When I asked how much overage that would involve, she said I would only be paying a nickel more that way. An international stamp currently has a value of $2.71. A permanent stamp is $0.92. So, $0.92 x three = $2.76. It costs merely 5 cents more to use three “P” stamps, and that way you can get a lot more variety, since they’re continually coming out with new designs for domestic use. Well, if I’m already spending $2.71 (plus tax!), I don’t mind forfeiting five cents to make the experience more fun for the recipient.

The only “issue”, then, is that commemorative permanent stamps are often rather large, and it might be hard to get three onto your postcard. No problem! You can sub in one or two of the tiny ones (those miniscule scenic views, or smiling Queen face) to fit on whatever combo you want.

4 Likes

I, too, don’t mind spending the extra nickel for our poor postal service. :wink:
I frequently do just this - 3 “P” stamps vs 1 “international”. If someone likes music, I use a Cohen, a Rogers and maybe a ballet or a queen or a spring blossom, or a … whatever, depending … This strategy has allowed me to do some creative decoration.

5 Likes

HookedonPostcards, now that I know I can use “P” stamps for international postcards, I am totally going to do that! And have starting to buy more varied “P” stamps for exactly that reason. My only problem is that I’ve run out of Leonard Cohens :frowning: That set of stamps is so fantastic!

To be sure that I am not misleading anyone … The “P” stamps = domestic rate. NOT international rate. That’s why I use 3 “P” stamps for international mail … to make it up to the $2.71 required.

There are beautiful international stamps! I picked up this year the year of the ox! I bought a couple sheets that were available for mailing! I am long time stamp collector and Canada has issued many beautiful commemoratives for local mail! As a previous responder mentioned, just add 3 Ps to the international post card! In my case I put 2 Ps and 87 cents worth of stamps! You are correct the far and wide stamps are amazing, nice change from the flag and the lighthouses issued in the past! I also bought a number of the blue nose stamp, Wow one of the best issued!!! If you find some stamp that appeals to you buy a number of them! Almost every month has something issued!!!
The most beautiful stamp available today is the $10 whale stamp! I buy them when sending out packages!!!

HookedonPostcards, thanks for clarifying that for anyone who may have come into the thread late :slight_smile:

I’ll just restate it in case of any confusion…

If you are a Canadian postcrosser and you want to use “P” stamps on cards to international destinations*, you need to use three “P” stamps (3 x $0.92 → $2.76) to cover the $2.71 cost of sending the card!

(Except for cards to the U.S., which require $1.30 – so if you use a “P” stamp, which is worth 92 cents, you’ll have to add at least 38 cents’ worth of stamps to that.)

A single “P” stamp, of course, is sufficient for sending a postcard within Canada :smiley:

2 Likes

3 Likes

These postcards (CA-1119171) are the very old Canada Post prepaid ones, they are produced by the Postcard Factory company but they were sold by CP. The ones with that stamp, maple leave and wavy lines are produced ~20 or more years ago I think (so I don’t think that phone number would work…). The new prepaid ones have the (more athletically pleasing IMHO) half circle on the front.
The Postcard Factory also produces tones of non-prepaid normal postcards and is the largest producer of postcards from what I can see (in Canada).

For stamps there are also a number of really nice ‘high denomination’ $1(deer, walrus, loon) and $2 (polar bear, hawks, horses) that can be combined with the lovely low denomination insects.
https://store.canadapost-postescanada.ca/store-boutique/en/p/410104107
https://store.canadapost-postescanada.ca/store-boutique/en/p/420022107
Though some are not listed on the website look for the full availability listing PDF and they are often listed there. You have to call in to order them when they are not on the website but make sure you say you checked the website and they are not there and they wave the 2$ fee for phone orders (and have free shipping over 25$ orders). Edit: I just found the “latest” product listing and it is dated 2018…soooo…not sure that is much help either! But it does list the product numbers if you want to call and ask if they have any listings in stock. https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/blogs/collecting/detailsfullproductlist.pdf

I use this « trick » since a long time with my international penpals. I also try to match the subject of my letter and / or its color scheme with the stamps. So funny

I think Canadian stamps are interesting - these stamps are so tiny, but they have also released huge ones! I live in the US, but my company has a lot of Canadian clients who ship things to us. We once received a large box with these commemorative (I assume they’re commemorative) NHL stamps on them, and since I’m both a philatelist and a big hockey fan I keep them hanging by my desk:

My estimation is 2"x3" for each stamp! The board was hanging in our stock room, but when the stock room manager left she told me I could take this from behind her computer and put it in my workstation if I wanted it. She knew I was a fan and the stamps were hung by her predecessor, it feels like an office heirloom haha

4 Likes

Such a cool story about the love of stamps!
Thank you for sharing it. :hugs:

1 Like

These were sold in hockey card- looking packs! Super fun.