Indian Postcrossers šŸ‡®šŸ‡³

By Postcard Rate Rs0.50 , i think you are referring to Yellow Postcards which are used for Domestic Travel.
For International Travel, Postage is Rs 12

I havenā€™t wrote AIR MAIL / SEA MAIL till date and 99% of my cards reach on time. (within 60days)

3 Likes

India Post is likely expecting delay in delivery of International Postal Mail articles.
See the official release here:

2 Likes

Hello all, I plan to travel to India later in the year. Do you have any tips of online stores that sell postcards about India? E.g. Iā€™ve received nice ones of typical foods, fauna, textiles, festivals etc from Indian postcrossers. Where could I find some like this? Likewise, do you have any tips of where to get nice commemorative stamps? Do post offices generally hold a good variety or is it best to buy online? Thanks a lot!

And lastly, if you are based in Chennai (especially in Vadaparani) do you know of any shops that sell postcards? :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @NatM, in India it is relatively difficult to find postcards. Apart from GPOs (General Post Office), most post offices do not sell picture postcards. And even in GPOs selections are limited and designs are unflattering.

All major cities have GPOs. For commemorative stamps, you can visit their Philatelic Bureau. They usually have good collection. Other post offices only carry definitive stamps. Buying stamps online from India Postā€™s website is a huge task on itself as the user-experience of the website is horrible and also in online you canā€™t buy single stamps, you can only buy fullsheets and miniature sheets. I recommend visiting Philatelic Bureau in any GPO.

Here are are a list of online stores where you can postcards. I recommend PostcardsVille and Postjunction.

As far as I know, in Chennai a bookstore called Higginbothams sells postcards. You will most likely find photographs postcards by VB Anand there, which are usually some of the most liked postcards from India.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the very helpful reply :+1:. Iā€™ll have a look at some of the online shops you suggest :grinning:

2 Likes

PS: another questionā€¦ does India Post allow to send shaped cards in the normal post or is more postage required or does it need to be sent in envelope? Thank you :grinning:

I see Postjunction has some cool shaped cards :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I am not experienced in sending shaped postcard. However I have seen others sending them internationally with the regular postage, i.e. ā‚¹12.

1 Like

I have ordered from PostcardsVille and Iā€™m very pleasedā€¦ quick delivery overseas and great postcards. Thanks for the recommendation @redteapost :+1:

3 Likes

Airmail to USA for letters and parcels have resumed.

1 Like

In india may be you can find nice stamps bjg post offices like selhi or Chennai, and online order will arrive after more than 30 days later, (my last one was average 35 days later), you can contact some local postcrosser who is nice , and you can both exchange cards, and may be share)

1 Like

Also ā€“ @NatM happy Forumversary

1 Like

All cards at only 12rs !!
Itā€™s so cheap for you if youā€™re fro outside india!

2 Likes

I knowā€¦ thatā€™s the equivalent of Ā£0.12 per card. Here in the UK, it is 15x more expensive at Ā£1.85 per card :open_mouth:ā€¦ I shall send lots of cards next time I visit India :+1:

3 Likes

Oh sure, do write as many you wish))
May be we can also arrange a swap))

1 Like

Absolutelyā€¦ it will be closer to Diwali, but Iā€™ll message you when Iā€™m there :+1:

1 Like

Great, diwali our main festival, youā€™ll definitely enjoy here, but do check that around dilwali we have long holiday, so POs will be closed

1 Like

So, I want to send my postcards inside an envelope(like pictured). So I think that this will now be considered to be a letter instead of a postcard?

What will be the postage charges? According to this link, it should be Rs 20(for 20gms) + the Air surcharge(maximum Rs 9). So the total will be Rs 29 at the highest end.

So, if I put stamps of Rs 30, it should reach the destinationā€¦ Right?

1 Like

Yes, 30 rupees postage is enough for an envelope weighing 20gms or less. If you want to send a postcard without an envelope, you can find the rates in this link:

2 Likes

Have cards been making it to China these days? I have four expired cards to China. I see that the people I have sent the cards to have not received cards in a long time, (month plus) so maybe the issue is on the China end. I saw in the postal monitor that India is only sending sea mail to China, but these cards were sent long before that. I send from several different post offices in Mumbai, including the GPO, so I donā€™t think I am having a local issue.

2 Likes

Just FYI, India Post increased International Airmail Postcard postage to ā‚¹15.

3 Likes