In English - Buying Stamps in Italy

UK is a zona B1
Here you can see all zones @bi14

1 Like

Ciao, Italian Postcrossers

There has been much talk in the forum about the need to send postcards ‘priority’ from Austria.

Is it OK to use the lower rate from Italy, or must I use the ‘priority’ rate to be confident that the cards will be delivered?

Thanks

You can send using the normal rate (B), there isn’t any issue. I haven’t seen any changes in delivery time (dreadfully slow as usual)

Thank you.
I appreciate your help.

The “priority” rate can be usefull if you are sending small packages inside Italy, because for them the rate is not too higher than the normal mail, and the delivery is really faster.

I alwasy use normal rate to send abroad instead. The chance of the mail to be delivered is the same. Priority may be faster, but only slightly, because it will travel priority only up to the international sorting center. But I’m pretty sure it will be considered a normal mail once it reached to final country.

The rate to send abroad depends on the country you are senting to :
B for Italy, San Marino and Vatican
B1 for Europe (geographycally, so UK and Switzerland included for example), Russia and countries in Asia and Africa who face the Mediterranea Sea
B2 For America, Asia and Africa
B3 For Oceania

1 Like

Thank you for this useful information.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ll be in Budoni, Sardinia a week from now, flying into Olbia. I travelled to Sardinia a few years ago and it was a real ordeal to find stamps and mailboxes. So can anyone recommend where to find both in or around Budoni or San Teodoro? Or is there a mailbox at Olbia airport?
Thanks a lot!

If I remember correctly, there should be a mailbox in Olbia Airport, but I haven’t been there in a while.
You could try at the post office directly, stamps are a critical thing in Italy, even in touristic areas, businesses are selling less and less…

1 Like

@maretha78

hi, I do not live in Sardinia but I can tell you that…

• Sardinia, as an island, is quite isolated from the rest of the country, so it will be easy to find postcards - as it is a touristy place - but it will be hard to find stamps and mailboxes, plus postcards use to travel slowly
  • you will find postcards at Olbia airport (they have them made of cork too!)
  • you can search for mailboxes using this site (you have to complete the form writing where you are exactly)
    Cerca le tue spedizioni - Poste.it
  • you can search for (main mailboxes and) stamps in postal offices in 1.San Teodoro: Piazza di Gallura 2 2.Budoni: Via Nazionale 275 – they are open only in the morning!
  • you can always search for postcards and stamps in tobacconists

good luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes