I received someone else’s postcard

I have a dilemma!

I received someone else’s postcard! I’m excited to know that just a few houses down from mine, lives another Postcrosser! Unfortunately, the names on the mailboxes didn’t match the postcard, I rang the bells and no one answered, and a few different neighbors didn’t know the intended recipient. I left the card in the door.

I have the code. I don’t want the card to go unnoticed, unclaimed.

What do I do?

3 Likes

I would wait a while - maybe the person found the card and will register it (I guess it’s not yet registered?) and if nothing happens, I would contact Postcrossing admins via the contact form on the main site, describing the situation.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t wait. Contact Postcrossing right away - someone is waiting for their mail, and someone else is waiting for their card to be registered so that they can send another one. There’s a form to contact them if you go to the Help pulldown menu.

3 Likes

I do not know if your city is very large and there may be many postcrossers, if it is not you can find it by looking for the city and on the map, see that it is close to your area, and talk to it in a pm

2 Likes

I’m in NYC.
My house is 2161, his house was 2110.
I walked it down, to give him his card and also meet another postcrosser.

I’ve just filed out a form on the main site. Thanks for responding! :raising_hand_woman:t3::heart:

4 Likes

Have you checked if the card is already registered?

1 Like

I didn’t want to try. I was afraid it would “become mine”. I’ve filled out a help form, I’m hoping they let me know how it will be rectified.

You can’t register a card that is not meant for your account.

The easiest way to check if it has been registered or not would be to go to a random received card page and then changing the ID in the address to the one you have. Either it will show up (meaning it has been registered) or you will get an error message → card not registered yet.

6 Likes

Even more easier way to check it is to type the code here, system makes it a direct link to the card.

2 Likes

And we have answered you with a solution.

Please don’t do this. It just confuses everyone in trying to track down a potential receiver.

1 Like

I am closing this topic now as a solution has been offered.

1 Like