How to send postcards from the US?

Hi friends.
I am out of international stamps. :frowning: Am I able to put one forever stamp (60 cents) and two postcard stamps (44 cents each) to meet the total of an international stamp? I know itā€™s $1.40, so I would be over a bit.
Is that okay?

2 Likes

Yes, I use different combinations of stamps all the time.

3 Likes

Thank you! I was concerned it wouldnā€™t work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to ask more questions. Will the three I mentioned be suitable for an international postcard?

Orā€¦you could put two Forever stamps ($0.60 X2) plus a 20c stamp (or two 10c stamps). The 10c stamps are available at your post office. I donā€™t believe in giving that money-losing outfit any more money than what is necessary.

1 Like

I like to put different stamps. You can do two forever stamps and get some bunnies (additional ounce), that works. They also sell $1 stamps and Iā€™ve started using that with old postage I bought in a lot below face value to make the $1.40. Anything works as long as it is the rate of international postage (or more)!

PS I just asked this question myself recently ā€“ Iā€™m a newbie-- so itā€™s not an uncommon question.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
I think I saw your post before, are you the one looking for postcards for your students? :slight_smile: I appreciate your help!!

Yes, and this community really came through! This group is amazing!

I started joining the round robins and Iā€™ve done a few tags just to get more happy mail in my personal mailbox, and Iā€™m having just as much fun mailing as receiving.

Yay!! If you ever need more cards, let me know. Iā€™m an education major in Louisiana who works at the post office. I just love sending and receiving mail!

1 Like

Is it okay if we ā€œstackā€ them? I have to cover the words ā€œPacific Coralā€ on one of my postcard stamps with another stamp to fit them all.

I think so - Iā€™ve never done that but I would think as long as most of the stamp is visible it should be ok.

I was given the advice to stamp and sticker/washi first and then write around that so everything fits so that is what Iā€™ve been doing.

Thatā€™s smart. Iā€™ll do that next time! Thank you!!

1 Like

I donā€™t know about this, but I can tell you from personal experience that Iā€™ve never received cards/envelopes before with stamps covering another. There may have been some with the edges slightly overlapping, but that was it.

The edges are slightly overlapping! The whole stamp can be seen, but the perforated edge is a tad covered.

I would avoid overlapping. The postal system might reasonably assume you are trying to reuse cancelled stamps and are attempting to hide the cancellation marks.

2 Likes

Yes! You can use any combination of stamps to make the total cost. I have a notebook full of stamps. About 1/3 are ā€œforeverā€ stamps and the rest are older ones with a denomination on them. I keep a little ā€œcheat sheatā€ with the postage amounts at the front of the binder. Our postage amounts change so often, I canā€™t remember it otherwise!
I try to pick stamps to compliment the postcard, or based on the receiverā€™s likes.
I believe the US post office does not allow the stamps to overlap. I believe thatā€™s to make sure youā€™re not using previously postmarked stamps. But, who knows - nobody really understands the USPS rules!

2 Likes

This is what my overlap looks like. Will that not work? :frowning:

1 Like

That doesnā€™t look too bad. You could try to send it out since itā€™s already been stampedā€¦the worst they could do is not deliver it. From what I can see, Iā€™m hopeful it will reach its destination. :+1:

EDITED to add: Iā€™ve received cards/envelopes before with a little bit of overlap like that.

I was going to say the same ā€¦ it will probably go. Problem is, unless you put your return address, you wonā€™t know it didnā€™t get delivered till it expires! Personally, Iā€™d drop it in the mail box and send it on its way!

Thanks!! I work at USPS but I donā€™t handle the stamps/finances. Iā€™ll show my boss tomorrow to double check. Thank you for your kind words and help!

2 Likes