How to create tables in a bingo post

In the bingos you can of course create lists the same way as you did on the old forum. You might want to see the Note on clickable links further down in this post, as links are made differently here than in the old forum.

But in this forum, there’s also another way to create your list for the bingos; you can create a table. As it can be challenging to figure out how to create a table, I’ll try to teach you how to do it. There’s different ways to do it:

1. You can create the list in an Excel sheet (or other spreadsheet on your computer) and copy the information into your post. The 4 corner fields needs to be filled before copying. Use a 0 (or another number or letter) and remove it after copying if you’d like the field to be empty in your post.
  2. You can create a table in Word (or another text document on your computer) and copy the table into your post. (If one or more of the 4 corner fields are empty and the table doesn’t show up correctly, try to insert a 0 (or another number or letter) into the empty corner fields and remove it after pasting the table into your message.
  3. You can create a table directly when creating your post. There’s most likely a key on your keyboard for the vertical line (|). On my computer the key is just left of the 1, on a key together with §. If you have a non-Norwegian keyboard, the | symbol may be on a key somewhere else on the keyboard, maybe together with other symbols. The | can be on the same key as < and > for instance. You might have to push Shift (the key with an upwards arrow) or Ctrl+Alt in addition to the | key to make the | appear. If you don’t find it, you can copy and paste a line here: | | | You can also learn about making tables here.

In this thread I’ll show you how to create tables directly when creating a new post in a thread.

You can use this format if you want separate lists for your sent and received postcards:
|Nr.|Region|ID|
|---|---|---|
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

You can use this format if you want to combine the sent and received cards in one table. (The colons I used in the second line makes the contents (number sent/received) centered instead if left alligned. But choose what you prefer.
|Region|Nr. sent|ID sent|Nr. received|ID received|
|---|---|---|---|---| or |---|:---:|---|:---:|---|
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

Then you can start filling in information:
|Nr.|Region|ID|
|---|---|---|
|1|Region A|NO-4|
|2|Region B|NO-5|
|3|Region C|NO-6|

Example: Here’s what the tables in the post below looks like when creating the message.

Note on clickable links: if you write the ID of a postcard here in the forum (PT-1, NO-201010 etc), it’s automatically turned into a clickable link. You can see that I’ve only written the ID’s in the examples shown above. And the links magically show up. :smile:
If you rather want to create links yourself, where the text is different than the ID, you can use this markdown: [your chosen text](url). If you write [Norway](https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-201010), you’ll get Norway.

7 Likes

Here’s example tables. I’ve just used random ID’s in these examples.

Sent (3/5)

Nr. Region ID
1 Region A NO-3
Region B
2 Region C NO-4
Region D
3 Region E NO-5

Received (2/5)

Nr Region ID
Region A
1 Region B CN-1
Region C
Region D
2 Region E DE-1

Sent (3/5), Received (2/5)

Region Nr. sent ID sent Nr received ID received
Region A 1 NO-3
Region B 1 CN-1
Region C 2 NO-4
Region D
Region E 3 NO-5 2 DE-1

(I could have used |---|---|---|---|---| instead of |---|:---:|---|:---:|---| in the last table. Then the numbers would have been left alligned instead of centered)

Of course, you can create lists like the lists below instead:

Option 1a

Here I’ve just inserted a number in front of the ones that are sent/received.

*Sent (3/5)

1. Region A
    Region B
  2. Region C
    Region D
  3. [Region E](NO-5]

Received (2/5)
Region A

1. Region B
    Region C
    Region D
  2. Region E

As you see, “Region A” doesn’t show up properly in the received list. Then option 1b might be better.

Option 1b

Here I’ve inserted numbers in front of the sent/received ones and an asterix (*) on the beginning of each line where I want a bullet point.

Sent (3/5)

Received (2/5)

Option 2

Here I’ve only listed the regions that are sent/received, not the regions that are missing.

Sent (3/5)

1. Region A
  2. Region C
  3. Region E

Received (2/5)

1. Region B
  2. Region E

But how to exactly do the tables?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I understand your question correctly @Tufta. Do you wonder how to create a table? Or is there a part of the table that doesn’t turn out exactly as you wanted (to wide or wrongly alligned or something)?

I am not sure how to create them

I’ll try to explain the steps then:

1. So, first you have to decide what the table header shall say. Then you have to insert each table item between two vertical lines (|). Like this: |Nr.|Region|ID|
  2. To divide the table header from the table contents, you have to insert a line below the header line that looks like this |---|---|---|. If you have 3 separate text fields in the header, — has to appear 3 times on this line. If you have 5 separate text fields in the header (|Region|Nr. sent|ID sent|Nr. rec'd|ID rec'd|), — has to appear 5 times as well (|---|---|---|---|---|)
  3. Then you have to start entering the table contents. The table contents have to be separated by vertical lines. Like this:
    | |Agder| |
    | |Innlandet| |
    | |Oslo| |
    | |Nordland| |
    | |Møre og Romsdal| |
    |1|Rogaland|NO-145910|
    | |Troms og Finnmark| |
    |2|Trøndelag|NO-106878|
    | |Vestland| |
    | |Vestfold og Telemark| |
    | |Viken| |
    | |Svalbard| |
    | |Jan Mayen| |
  4. Then you get a “list” like this:
    |Nr.|Region|ID|
    |---|---|---|
    | |Agder| |
    | |Innlandet| |
    | |Oslo| |
    | |Nordland| |
    | |Møre og Romsdal| |
    |1|Rogaland|NO-145910|
    | |Troms og Finnmark| |
    |2|Trøndelag|NO-106878|
    | |Vestland| |
    | |Vestfold og Telemark| |
    | |Viken| |
    | |Svalbard| |
    | |Jan Mayen| |
    This is what it looks like* when you create the post, and a preview of how it will show up when you post it: (*Well, approximately, as the table contents is different)

I’ve also provided a link to an external website that explains how to create tables. I recommend reading through that explainantion and reread the 1st and 2nd post in this thread. If you still have questions, feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer them. :smile:

WOW! Helpful! Thanks! :star_struck:

I’m struggling with copiying the table because I can only have the ID and country

Is the problem that the table doesn’t show up as a table? Or is the problem that you don’t get a numbered list?