How much Postcrossing cost you?

I’m guessing you have these no-value-printed-on-them stamps like “forever” stamps from the USA? I wish we had something like that here.

Well, in a way we do, but there are only very few designs available, most of them are horrible (like this: http://filatelistyka.poczta-polska.pl/sklep_pl/grafika/1000001754_01.jpg) and 90% of the new issues (at least 90%) have a value printed on them anyway.

It happened only once, I think, when Polish Post was raising the price of the domestic registered letter to a value almost exactly that of the international postage, that postcrossers tried to stock up on this stamp (it was one of these ugly designs) at its old value, but it was very quickly taken off the website (you couldn’t order it online) and also disappeared from post offices. The post very much wants for us to pay the full new price every time.

1 Like

Yes, we do. The last value printed stamp was the first international stamp issued in 2016 when new categories international and domestic were introduced (if I am right). Also Christmas stamps before that year used to have a value printed on them. Nowadays Christmas stamps have a snowflake and correspond always the current Christmas stamp value (in 2020 1,20 €). You can use them in international mail too, but then you have to add 0,55/0,65 €.

And even before 2016 we have mostly had 1 lk/2 lk stamps (their value always corresponds the current domestic value). However, I have some stamps from 2008 (and before) and they seem to be the last with a face value printed on them (0,65-0,80 €). Also they seem to be the last licky stamps. So till 2008 the Finnish post issued both value printed and no value printed (1 lk/2 lk) stamps and after that mostly 1 lk/2 lk/domestic/international stamps.

3 Likes

Postage to Europe costs 85 pence and the rest of the world it 95 pence so just under a Euro per stamp, card vary between about 30p to 80p depending on whether the recipient wants a tourist card or a card from thier list. At the moment I’m using half my allocated slots as it can become a bit expensive as I get addicted to sending cards lol

2 Likes

I haven’t Postcrossed in a loooong time and I came back because I need that Christmas cheer. Postcards in Indonesia is quite cheap, less than 1USD will get you a good one. Stamps are 0,4-0,6cents for worldwide. So far I’ve spent 32USD this month, quite a splurge but it’s alright.

2 Likes

Postage for us in Singapore is relatively cheap compared to other countries, as we have a flat rate for postcards to all countries apart from Malaysia and Brunei (slightly cheaper) - SGD 0.7 (i.e. USD 0.52).

Postcards here, the touristy ones at least, are rather cheap too, at about SGD 0.5 to SGD 1 (i.e. USD 0.37 to USD 0.75). The ones at tourist attractions and specialty shops are more expensive, maybe at least SGD 3 (i.e. USD 2.25). There are some shops selling cheap bundles (about 30 postcards) at SGD 3 too.

For me, I usually buy in bulk and at one shot. For instance, I bought about SGD 200 worth of stamps (i.e. nearly 300 stamps) at one shot, as well as ordered about SGD 50 worth of postcards online (more than 1,000 postcards). So my expenditure will be zero on certain months, and then a huge lump sum on one or two months.

I do have a tendency to keep shopping for postcards even though I still have a ready stock though, as the postcard designs are just too nice to resist. So occasionally I spend SGD 10-20 as well?

4 Likes

I spend around 2€ every month for 2 stamps. So i can send away 2 postcards every month (´ω`)

6 Likes

Thanks to Corona, we can’t go on holiday or even eat out at the moment and I haven’t been to a shop other than a supermarket in months. Postcrossing is my treat, so it’s probably ok that I have sent far too many cards this month … all those tags and RRs are so tempting :wink:.

9 Likes

I can’t say how much it costs because I have only recently gotten back into it. The cost of international postage is what prevented me from sending postcards more before, but I have recently gotten back into it.
I do hate that such an expensive stamp goes only on a postcard and not a letter that will get a reply, but I never thought much about how in return I get stamps from all around the world and nice postcard art :slight_smile:

I never think of the cost! It’s cheaper than playing ice hockey, that’s how I think of it. That’s all that matters.

I do know I normally buy about £50 worth of stamps whenever I buy them, a number of times each year. Postcards I haven’t bought for months now given everything is closed. I’ve got hundreds that I accumulated in my first ten years of Postcrossing so it hasn’t been a worry.

4 Likes

So I nearly spent 700 days with Postcrossing now.

According to my record, I have sent 314 cards from various locations in the world.

In total I spent 644.24 EUR (converted total), of which 463.29 EUR on postage and 180.95 EUR on cards.

The thing is, while the card is getting cheaper (on one hand I found better deals with local creators, see the watercolor series in my sent; on the other hands I used more meta cards and fewer niche cards) , the postage is going up.

I will probably scale back and use more discounted stamps in 2021. But then again, quoting from my profile page:

“To be honest, this IS an expensive hobby. But the opportunity to connect with people and share our passion? Priceless!”

10 Likes

That 2016 stamp :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

The day I start counting is probably the day I quit so nope I don’t want to know! :joy:

19 Likes

I just spent about €67 on 50 international stamps. If I only use them for official PC I think I can last 4-5 months with that. My stockpile is pretty big as well, so I could manage, but I’ll probably buy more cards anyway haha. They’re usually between €0.50 and €1.25 a piece

1 Like

I am a beginner postcrosser. In total, I spent about 4000 Russian rubles. But there is a big problem. In Russia, delivery rates are not expensive, but the post office often loses my postcards, and I have to send 2 postcards to one address in order for at least one to reach the addressee.

2 Likes

It’s worth the money for it’s fun.

Cheapest option is not to sent cards.
I usualy forget when buying cards , that there is a surplus for postage at a later time.
So 12 cards in a charityshop for only 1euro!! Will cost me later 12 x 1.55eu.

It’s not about the money but the userprofiles with negative sent instructions and or expired postcard name lists that I hate. I found a solution for this. Report if necessary. Choose the first card in my box, whatever it is.

3 Likes

I’m new at this but have exchanged stamps via mail for many years. The cost of mailing a letter/postcard internationally from Canada has gone up a lot in recent years. $2.71 right now, and generally I find cards that cost around $1-2 each. So each card is a maximum of just under $5 Canadian. I really shouldn’t add this up because between postcrossing and stamp exchange, I believe I am spending many hundreds a year just for postage! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About numbers. It’s going to be 33 DKK (ca € 4.40) starting January 1st + postcards about 10 DKK (€ 1.30 or so).
About postcrossing. I absolutely cannot afford it but I have been doing it for over 15 years and I am going to continue. There is no way to put numbers to all fun and friends I have made through the project so I don’t care.

2 Likes

Interesting! I just started in december and so far I used stamps and postcards I already had. That made me feel it was for free, but I guess I will have to decide on a budget for postcrossing soon.

1 Like

For each postcards it costs me $0.73 (35 pesos) and $0.35 (17 pesos) for sending one. I usually sent 6 postcards, so maybe more or less $6.50 (312 pesos.

in Lithuania :lithuania:, stamps are not expensice, only €0.71/€0.75 to issue a non-priority postcard internationally/within the EU. i usually spend no more than €0.50 for one postcard. i may spend around €60 euros to issue 50 postcards via postcrossing.

2 Likes