How much are you paying for sending one postcard?

in finland we pay now 1,75 or 1,85 euro for a postcard or a letter (sent anywhere) up to 20 gr weight :persevere:

1 Like

anywhere! Even Sweden, although Sweden and Denmark share a post company.

A little history:
Denmark used to have it’s own state-owned post company, but it got more and more privatized and somehow managed not to keep up with the times, never really capitalizing on the great increase in package-delivery that came with internet shopping. International firms like FedEx and UPS totally out competed the general post company. Then the private owners gave up and sold it back to the state and there was a fusion with the Swedish post company. PostNord is now owned 60% by the Swedish state and 40% by the Danish state, but the prices are very different in the two countries for some reason.
(biased) source in English: https://www.postnord.dk/en/about-us/company-presentation/history

I don’t blame the Swedish post company though! I’m pretty sure they took on a financial nightmare and are the only reason we still have a general post company in Denmark.

7 Likes

I have just joined postcrossing and from NZ. It has cost $3.50 per stamp to send internationally. :slight_smile:

1 Like

$3.50 is the international letter rate. Postcard rate is $2.70. If you send in an envelope it will be $3.50.

https://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/rate-finder/sending-internationally/letters

You might want to check you aren’t being overcharged.

3 Likes

So cheap.
In my country it’s also cheap but yours is cheaper
0.2 USD within Indonesia.
0.4 - 0.55 USD to overseas, depends on region

5 Likes

:sob::sob: I must have been overcharged then. Definitely didn’t put in envelope. Thanks for that info, I’ll ask next time to check it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
Postcrossers need more Danish participants.

What are your ideas about sending postcards at a rate as low as €0,86?

I can send you Danish stamps (for free) to frank your outgoing cover, and enough Portuguese stamps to frank your postcards. You send ±10-15 postcrossing postcards to me in your cover. As soon as I receive them, I post them, and leave you a confirmation message. Yes, some time delay, but really, you end up sending your cards at an affordable price.

I welcome your comments, and if you have a positive apporach, let´s try this!

5 Likes

hello everybody,
in italy we pay as follows:

1,10 euros from italy to italy
1,15 euros from italy to europe
2,40 euros from italy to the rest of the world
3,10 euros from italy to australia and new zeland

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for this extremely generous offer! There is no way that I can accept you paying for anything. You receiving the cards and posting them for me would already be a great favor!
I’m currently looking at the CTT’s website to see if I can buy stamps, but I’m having some trouble navigating which stamps to buy. I’ll DM you directly with some questions, and we can probably make this work :smiley:

1 Like

Very fascinating conversation. I am from the USA, so international postage is $1.20 US. However, my brother is a stamp collector and he sends me all his “junk” stamps, the non collectable ones he gets when he buys a “Lot” of stamps, which costs in the thousands. He gets stamps he wants and needs, which means they complete stamp collections he is working on. I suggest you find stamp collectors in your area and you may be able to buy stamps for less than face value, which is how I get all my stamps. Local stamp collectors value reliable repeat customers, so walk into a coin / stamp collectors business and find out what they can do for you. Happy Postcrossing!

8 Likes

Since the tariffs are already in the wiki, I might add that I travel to the other end of the city on the subway for exactly the same price as my postcards travel by plane to the other end of the world :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Fun fact: in addition to using the stamps with the euro currency, we can use the old stamps in Lire, the Italian currency before being in Europe.
They can’t be used alone, unless you want to cover the postcard with stamps, because the conversion into Euro make them be like 0,050 cents and so on, but they are useful to use in addiction to the other.

4 Likes

Here in Finland I pay 1.85 euros. The highest rate in my homecountry Portugal was 0.91 cents (internationally) so for me it is a huge difference and I think it’s really expensive, especially as I don’t have a job at the moment. :sweat_smile:

Fortunately I was given some stamps so I at least that was for free. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Slovenia has become quite expensive.
Now the postage for a postcard in international mail is 1.22 eur. That’s a lot, especially considering it was just 0.58 eur when I started postcrossing a few years ago. That’s an increase of over 100%.

1 Like

Technically Swedish and Danish post companies are not the same company, which explains why prices, budget and their systems are different. PostNord AB is the “mother company” which owns the “sister companies”; Posten AB (aka. Swedish PostNord) and Post Danmark A/S (aka. Danish PostNord). The “mother company” is then again owned by Danish and Swedish states. So two different companies owned by one. The “mother company” PostNord also owns PostNord Finland, PostNord Norge and few other logistic companies.

Sorry about going off-topic, I have few weird special interests that I find fascinating and this whole lovely mess called PostNord is one of those. My favorite is when PostNord(s) issues same stamps and pretend the other one didn’t do that too.

9 Likes

I just wanted to say thanks for the link to the wiki. In Australia standard international postage is 3.20 (cheaper for the Asia Pacific region).
However according to the wiki, Aus Post sells postcards with pre-paid international postage for $2.40! I just bought 8 at their website. A great savings…thanks again :grinning:

4 Likes

When I was in Denmark in September I was shocked by the 30 DKK shipping costs for each card.
I switched to travel mode with the intention to make a lot of people happy with a “rare” card from Denmark. So I ended up with 17 addresses and IDs and bought 17 cards. When it finally came up to paying 510 DKK (= 68,50 Euro) for stamps I was like “No, thank you. I’m sorry, but I simply can’t afford this!” and left the shop. Eventually I sent the cards from Germany for 16,15 Euro (= 120 DKK). That was quite an experience.

1 Like

Different modes of transportation have different prices. I chose the cheapest one, only 3.5 yuan (= 0.53 dollars = 0.45 Euro).Air transportation is the most expensive.

Hello, in Greece is just 1€ internationally and 0,90€ for postcards send within the country!

1 Like

Sending a postcard from Bonaire to everywhere in the world is $1,50. It used to be $0,99, but they raised the price!

1 Like