How many people know that you do postcrossing?

My parents know (my cards go to their mail box at the moment, because I live in a house without one), my boyfriend knows and two of my best friends know.

2 Likes

@sonataca

don’t feel guilty for spending money in postcrossing :grinning:
do your friends smoke? what remains after they smoked their sigarettes? nothing.
a postcard is something you can always keep in your hands.
i don’t want to make smokers guilty, it’s just an example on how people decide to spend their money in things that give them some satisfaction.
it’s just a different point of view on where this satisfaction come from

9 Likes

I’ve been at this for awhile, but until March 2020 I had taken an approx 2 year break. When Covid made us all stay inside, I got back into this and I’ve sent almost 1000 cards in that time.

I’ve actually told several of my friends on Facebook - I wanted to show off some of the wonderful cards that I received, and three different friends thought it was a wonderful idea and decided to try it too. So I’ve told lots, most don’t think much of it, but the ones that did it are enjoying it as well.

2 Likes

I try to tell everyone how cool it is, but a lot of people are like ya okay. I’ve seen that they want to receive but they don’t want to do the work to receive in some cases, acting like going to the postoffice once in awhile for stamps is so hard. I only tell people who are responsible tho because I don’t want them to get on here and not send someone who deserves a post card a postcard. I’ve gotten a couple people hooked tho with that said, my uncle is now very serious about postcrossing and excited everyday about it, my friend and her girlfriend are sending out postcards. I do try to explain it to everyone tho

4 Likes

hi. I tell and show the received and sent postcards where I work. I tell my fellow passengers on the train, bus, and tram about this. I tell children at school in special classes. but no one was interested, because it is expensive and requires responsibility. I haven’t been to any postcrosser meetings either. take care of each other, we have a great hobby, it connects everyone!

3 Likes

Everyone knows xD A pen and some prepared postcards are always in my bag. Friends and family are often giving unwritten postcards to me.
And actually my friends knows it’s easier to get an answer from me if they send me a card or letter than a WhatsApp … :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue: So a lot of friends did not start with Postcrossing but they started to send me cards.

3 Likes

I’ve been on postcrossing for more than four years but only a few people know…

2 Likes

I mentioned to a few friends - mainly people I thought might be interested in trying it themselves. One of them also got on Postcrossing.
It’s actually funny how I found out in the first place - I joined a few facebook groups for moms (as I’m a new mom) and another lady said oh my son and I do this awesome thing where we send postcards to people all over the world and get postcards back. The post was super popular and for a month our tiny country was in top 10 countries with most registered new postcrossers, the total number of people grew with like 10% or so.

6 Likes

This year I discovered postcrossing. Initially, I didn’t even think about telling someone about it, but my mother noticed how I was writing some cards, and then I ran to the post office. This was followed by a conversation on this topic. My mother was usually skeptical about such things, but what was my surprise when she was interested in it. Now she even helps me sometimes with this. For example, when I do not have time to send, she voluntarily takes the postcards from me and goes happy to the post office.
Nobody else knows anything and may never know.

5 Likes

Hello @swamps,

Would you write in English ?
Please read the forum guide lines :

Postcrossing Forum Guidelines

Kind regards,
JetteLise , moderator

1 Like

I mentioned it once at work when my co-workers found out I had a German penpal and were wondering how I found her, but no one was interested enough to learn more about it. :woman_shrugging:t4:

But my family knows and are very supportive. My mom and sister often shop for postcards to bring home to me from their trips, as well as a couple of my cousins. I love and appreciate them for that, but sometimes it’s a double edged sword: While they’ve brought home some beautiful cards, they also love finding bargains. And sometimes those bargains end up with me having cards that I cannot even give away. :rofl:

5 Likes

I’m trying to get in person friends/family to send postcards when they travel or from where they live as some live long distance.

A group of us from work started doing it about 5 years ago after one of them got into a conversation with a customer who was a member. I’m the only one left doing it now, although I did take a break for a few years.

3 Likes

All my family and friends know that I’m a collector (not just postcards but coins, stamps, beer coasters, bookmarks, tea bags, tickets, Starbucks mugs and cards - you name it, and I either collect it myself or know someone who does). I don’t think I have mentioned Postcrossing on its own very often - my partner knows, of course (she’s thinking which username to choose for more than one year now…), and several friends and family know, but none was really interested. Since I started going to meet-ups I know a lot of Postcrossers personally, but I haven’t yet met any person outside of meet-ups where I found out that person was doing Postcrossing as well.

1 Like

I knew about postcrossing for many years but never even checked the site. Then my younger daughter joined the site this summer and it started a real chain reaction. I think about 20 people have taken up postcrossing because of our family since then. One of my pupils especially is a real epicentre of postcrossing now :blush:. He is 12. I’ve tried to make him join because he is good at grammar but doesn’t like writing or reading in English. Finally, one of the postcards I received was so special, that he caved in. Now he is obsessed with it :blush: The funny thing is that the first postcard he received was written in Russian not in English. It was from an American who studied Russian. I couldn’t believe my eyes. What were the chances!

6 Likes

I think about 6 people know I do postcrossing. Four friends, one who has become an active member, my mom, and sister. Do my kids count? I also tried to introduce this to my 7th grade special education classroom one year but they didn’t have the patience for the travel time.

1 Like

Just my mom and my friend. I told the rest of my family but i think they forgot.

1 Like

All my friends and family know I‘m a Postcrosser - I also send out a lot of cards to friends and family, so they are all aware that I‘m obsessed with postcards :wink:
My mum, my brother and one of my friends joined Postcrossing because they heard about it from me :slight_smile: But I also had two coincidences with people I know: one time, I was looking at the cards being sent out (the „liveticker“ on the starting page) and I stumbled upon the profile of one of my best friend‘s closest friends by accident. Another time, I got to know someone and she told me that she was a Postcrosser and had looked at the profiles of people living in the area and had found mine - so we discovered that we‘re both on Postcrossing :slight_smile:

We did a meet and greet with some new folks on my team and I asked everyone to share a hobby, and I picked postcrossing as mine. :slight_smile: I’m a long-time stamp collector and only a few people know about that. There are millions of exchanges here but also billions of people in the world, so not too surprising that I was the only one!

1 Like

I think via personal contacts, I dont know anyone into postcrossing. :open_mouth: So to encourage more people to get into it and show how easy it is, I wrote this guide to writing postcards

1 Like