How international mail works :postcard:

Hey everyone

I saw a comment yesterday it was in relation to how post cards are delivered from other countries.

My understanding in how postal services do this for example let’s say you have 1,000 letters from Ireland that need to go to America. Anpost would pay for cargo space on dedicated cargo planes going to the country or pay airline that does passenger jets because sometimes they keep a small space for small cargo.

Is this correct or is it done differently?

1 Like

Who knows how international mail works…?

You might find this helpful.

2 Likes

Almost ALL my international mail sends out through Los Angeles.

That is basically it, a postal authority chooses a postal route, based on cost and class of mail. They can also send the mail to Royal Mail in Londen and they can forward it together with the UK mail to the country of destination.

It used to be that the post had priority over ordinary freight, but that might have been abolished.

1 Like

@michiel071 I would be shocked if Mail still had priority to be honest. You would think with the massive automation in postal sorting now and the amount of planes flying between destinations. That the cost of posting would have gone down instead of increasing. I saw a documentary there a few weeks ago in relation to the US postal service it was a tour of one of these centres were they try to decipher people’s terrible handwriting, misspelling of addresses they said in the documentary at one point there had been 30 of these centres in the country and now they are the last ones left. The guy said in the documentary that the AI algorithm they used has gotten to the point that it can recognise 95% of misspelt and poorly written addresses.

1 Like

when i worked over christmas a couple of times in the royal mail sorting centres, it was mostly packages but sometimes letters too, deciphering badly/half-written or incorrect addresses was the bit I enjoyed the most. We were told to just chuck them in a particular bag, where they’d go to place in Belfast where they were supposed to send them to the right place, but I had heard that they didn’t always do a thorough job because there were so many. So if I could decipher the address or add the missing pieces or what have you, I’d take some time out from chucking boxes left right and centre to do so

3 Likes

So interesting! I had never thought about it before. After watching this, I wonder why I it never came across my head to how my letter went from one country to the next! Thanks for posting this video!

In the 1990s I visited Mount Pleasant sorting centre of the Royal Mail and we came by the desk where they tried to correct the addresses. The man told us that postal authorities all over the world sent their international mail with insufficient addresses which they could not correct themselves to London.

The international postal system is a remarkable feat of logistics and coordination, enabling individuals and businesses around the world to send and receive letters and packages with relative ease. But how exactly does it work, and what are terminal dues?

At its core, the international postal system is built on a network of postal administrations from around the world, each responsible for processing and delivering mail within its own borders. These postal administrations, in turn, cooperate with one another through a variety of international agreements and organizations to facilitate the exchange of mail between countries.

One of the key mechanisms that makes this possible is the system of terminal dues. Terminal dues are fees paid by one country’s postal administration to another for the delivery of international mail. These fees are typically set by the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations that coordinates postal policies and services among its member countries.

Under the system of terminal dues, each country is assigned a “terminal charge” based on the costs of delivering mail within that country. This charge is then applied to incoming international mail, with the receiving country’s postal administration responsible for delivering the mail to its final destination.

For example, let’s say a person in the United States wants to send a letter to someone in Germany. The letter is collected by the US Postal Service and sent to a sorting facility, where it is then processed and sent to Germany via an international mail carrier. When the letter arrives in Germany, the German postal administration is responsible for delivering it to the recipient. To compensate the German postal administration for this service, the US Postal Service pays a terminal due to Germany based on the terminal charge for German mail delivery.

This system of terminal dues is designed to ensure that each country’s postal administration is fairly compensated for the costs of delivering international mail. It also helps to balance out the costs and benefits of the international postal system, since some countries may send more mail than they receive, while others receive more than they send.

Of course, the international postal system is not without its challenges. One of the biggest issues facing the system today is the rise of e-commerce and the corresponding increase in package delivery. With more and more people ordering goods online and having them shipped from overseas, the volume of international packages being sent through the postal system has skyrocketed.

This has led to concerns about the cost of terminal dues and the impact on postal administrations in developing countries, which may have less robust delivery infrastructure and higher costs of delivery. To address these concerns, the UPU has been working to reform the system of terminal dues and develop more equitable and sustainable pricing structures.

Despite these challenges, the international postal system remains an essential part of global commerce and communication. Whether you’re sending a postcard to a friend in another country or ordering a package from an online retailer halfway around the world, the system of terminal dues helps to ensure that your mail will be delivered safely and efficiently, no matter where it’s going.

So the next time you send or receive international mail, take a moment to appreciate the incredible network of postal administrations and agreements that make it all possible. And remember, every stamp you buy helps to support this remarkable system of global communication and exchange.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I studied the International mail system by sending International Registered Mail, and here is what I found.
First, mail was accepted at the post office. The post office clerk will choose the mail type (Registered postcard, registered mail, registered printed item) and scan the barcode, select the destination in the system and choose the transport method(Surface, SAL, Air) and additional services/remark(returned mail/transit mail/fragile mail/A.R.) Registered printed item requires an ID card to accept.
After the clerk press “calculate price” button, the system will say whether its data shows this route is workable and show the price. If the system thinks that it is not workable, it will say "this business is not available”. After price calculated, customer buy stamps, print postage label or use their own stamps to pay the fee, and the clerk will cancel the stamp and press the “acceptance” button.

It is the time when this message will appear in the postal inquiry system.
It says Acceptance at [Hexi Xincheng Post Office] in Nanjing.
If you are sending items to some countries like UK, Japan and Swiss. Their system will also receive the information and can be seen in their system and UPU too.

Then, the clerk will print out a receipt or a list depending on the amount of item you are sending.

The list

The receipt
After that, the clerk will put it into a cart and wait for truck to pick up. The truck arrives at 14:00 and 17:00(GMT+8) every day. After the truck arrives, the clerk will press dispatch button and scan all barcode again to print out a waybill put together with the mail, and they will all be packed and sent.

This message will appear at the same time. Saying the mail is leaving post office and heading to mail hub.
International mail will be separated into 4 packs(Cecogramme Registered, Cecogramme non-registered, Registered mail and non-registered mail) and sent to the Sorting centre(In some cities, they will be sent directly to International Mail centre) for redirecting.

Information says leaving Nanjing Hub left for Nanjing International Mail centre.
If the package is sending to countries like Germany, Italy and Swiss. They can form a mail pack directly at Nanjing. Which requires a custom check.
[Nanjing International Processing Center], Exported
At this moment, the info will sometimes be available at destination post.
Example: Swiss

At this moment, this object can be defined as an item left the border and will be moved for further transport. It will also contain a mail pack barcode in forms like CNNKGA(Export office code:NJGJCLZX-NANJING)CHZRHB(Destination office code:Zürich Briefzentrum International-ZURICH 1)XXXX11111111111111
In other conditions, the mail will be separated according to destination country and shipping methods and transported to different export office.
SAL mail will all be sent to Beijing.
Surface mail will be sent to Shanghai and Guangzhou in most conditions. If it requires ground transport, it will be sent to Urumuqi
Air mail to Japan, USA , Belarus, Turkey and some SE Asian countries will be sent to Guangzhou
Air mail to European countries and some Asian countries will be sent to Shanghai
Air mail to other places will be sent to Beijing
Russian mail will all be sent to Zhengzhou at last

3 Likes

Then, the process is similar to export process. Mail dispatched, and destination post will receive info.
(USPS)
(Japan Post)

(Royal Mail)
(Most other postal services)

Then, mail will be sent for transit with specific airlines they have treaty with.
In most conditions, the mail will arrive at destination country in a week. Which is the time China post shows this(Taking a mail to Australia as an example)
Sydney, arrived at destination
Means that the mail has arrived at destination post exchange office.
Soon after that, local post operator will upload info and start local tracking.
(USPS)
(Royal Mail)

(La poste)

(Hong Kong Post)

After that the mail will be sent to destination custom and being delivered.
For data information of Registered mail, I have a form showing this(in Chinese)
明信片发出情况统计 (qq.com)

3 Likes

Guys, I found that they have an entire article describing how mail and templates are being transported between nations and postal companies on the UPU website.
Standards (upu.int)

This section and the PDF version can be viewed through the link.

2 Likes