How has the new forum changed your forum experience? :D

It will be easy to me to reply because people have already wrote what I was thinking! :smile:
But first I want to say that I’m happy that so many new members have joined the new forum and I feel sad that so many of you felt like you wouldn’t be welcome to join the old one. I never had that feeling eventhough I did multiple comebacks during the 13 years I used the forum.

This is the thing I dislike in the new one. I don’t like the fact that I have one more place in my life where people kinda collect likes and we can see how many people have opened the links etc. I will also miss deeply that “old fashioned” look of the old forum. I grew up before social media and when I was teen, I spent so much time on forums. Postcrossing is the only one remaining, and after every comeback I had, it always felt like coming home when I opened the site.

This is also me! I didn’t even know there was General Topics category on the old one and now it’s my favourite thing! On the old forum I only spent my time in the postcard tags (and RR’s before 2010’s) and Finnish topics. I’m happy that I found so much more to explore here!

In my opinion this forum is easier to use but old one looked and felt more like a forum. I totally understand why the update was made but I will miss the old one.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve almost stopped using the forum.
I’m sorry, but I really don’t like it. Probably it is great if using a mobile, but I always use the pc and I find it too dispersive, more like facebook than a forum

3 Likes

Yes, I think the old forum was like that because it never changed since that era. And a lot has changed since then in the world of the internet and not only…

:joy: :joy: :joy: For me, that is one thing I am not fond of. I really don’t like tutorials and the like, I prefer to poke around. Though it is useful for sure! (often I cannot find my way around something, but if I had looked at the tutorial first… :joy:)

Yes, on that aspect I agree too.

Same, but for me the old forum just felt outdated. And trust me I am not usually someone who likes change!

It is easier to use from a mobile than the old one, but it is still not comfortable. I have posted a lot yesterday because I had time to spend on the computer, and I have not looked at it all day today untile now because I would have had to look from my phone and that would have just frustrated me. On the phone, it’s quite easy to look at but not that easy to post if you want to write more than 5 words. And quoting doesn’t seem to work, at least for me. In my opinion, it is still a lot better than facebook, you can find threads and reply easily, facebook is like a mess and really not conducive to long conversations or to picking things up after a few days.

1 Like

Yay! Postbot! I might have said "wish you were real, buddy" during the tutorials. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Interesting how some people compared this to a social media kind of thing, pointing that is the reason why, for them, this doesn’t work that well. I wish this was 100% welcoming to everyone, but unfortunately that’s not something that happens anywhere. It is not a nice feeling being stripped from something comfortable because general life updates, I know that. :confused:

I don’t have any type of social media, so maybe that’s why I don’t feel overwhelmed with the likes and whatsoever. I kind of like it for the “I’ve read what you wrote” situation, as I mentioned.
Also, since it’s still a forum and it’s related to communication/messages, I believe that won’t suffer from the lack of written content like a instantaneous social media platform. Let’s just hope. :sweat_smile:

I’m still poking around and everyday I find new ways of using it, but so far I think it invites more to interaction and that is really nice.

2 Likes

Well, thinking further… I like and dislike the social media feeling at the same time. I admit I do social media quite a bit so I like that, for those who are used to them, it is very easy to adapt to this.
I don’t like what was described above as the possibility to see who has seen what and collect “likes” etc… However, it is true that the “likes” here are an acknowledgement to what someone has said, where maybe you agree but have nothing to add. Perhaps in a place like this forum, it will not become something that people “collect” because if you are someone who likes to be popular on social media… well, you’d go to social media, here it is more like a place to discuss and very much focused on Postcrossing still, so you might post countless pictures of postcards and get all the likes, but no one will care too much about your dog or whatever (okay there are “off topic” sections and maybe all the dog lovers can gather there and like each other’s pets, but you see what I mean :joy:).

I don’t particularly like the “badges” or whatever they are, well I don’t hate them but I feel very indifferent to them and I am not really learning what they are for and whatnot.

I do like the emojis :joy: The teenager me is enjoying them. But seriously, nowadays they are an important feature of online communication and help adding some tone.

2 Likes

Exactly. For me, what this feature does best is to subtly show support and remove clutter from conversations. Whereas before I wouldn’t post a comment just saying “Yes!”, or “I like that”, now I find myself putting a little :heart: there and moving along. It doesn’t stop me from adding to the conversation when I have something more to say… but if I don’t have more than that to say, then that’s fine.

Paradoxically, I don’t like all the notifications for likes received :sweat_smile: so I’ve switched these off on my account Notifications settings.

6 Likes

It feels like the new forum brings more out of the function of connecting people together and offering a platform to chat and communicate. Or maybe that’s just what happens when this place is still so new and everyone is so hyped up about it. :sweat_smile:

I really like the old forum as well despite the sharp blue color of the links and the trouble I have to bear when browsing it on my phone.

2 Likes

Eheh yes. It seems very lively and easy to encourage communication, but I also wonder if it’s just the novelty :face_with_hand_over_mouth: But I guess as people get less excited or just busy, others will join or become interested.

And I always forgot to say, I hope the users of the old forum who don’t like the new one will eventually get used to it and enjoy it :blush:

3 Likes

Oh wow, I really had no idea that some people felt that way. I hope I have not opened a can of worms :sweat_smile: :dizzy_face: From my usage, I could see some people looked like they would send each other things more often (the RRs seem very much like a community, but it took me 3+ years to just understand how a RR works and when I was considering joining, the pandemic came in and mail is too unreliable for me) and sort of knew each other better, but from the general topics I never thought it would seem that way

I had no idea people felt that way either. I was a member for years and even though I could recognize some “faces” of frequent users, I only had personal interactions with a handful of people. I’ve never even participated in a RR. I would certainly not have noticed if someone was new.
I also have no idea what those “rules” could be.

I like that the New Forum has better support for multimedia capabilities.
And now we can design our Profiles more beautifully.
It’s a pity that just animated avatars are not allowed.
My green skull was rolling its eyes in the old forum. It was nice :slight_smile:

greenskull_140_plus_opt

3 Likes

It’s rolling its eyes here too.

My Userpic doesn’t :frowning:
It does only when I put it here as the attached to the text picture.

Some more weeks have gone by and I have new considerations…
The new forum takes so much more of my time than the old one :joy: :joy: :joy: I usually spent 30 seconds a day on the old one as I only checked general topics and occasionally penpals. Sometimes I replied to something, bringing my total time to 5 minutes. Now I could spend hours on it and it reminds me of really vibrant forums I used to frequent years and years ago.
I don’t know if it is just a lot more active (I think it is) or that the new format makes me explore more areas, as I noted before. I think it is a factor and not a bad thing, besides the time issue :smiley:

Activity does seem to have increased a lot and there are SO MANY new people! (and also people I had not noticed before as they were hanging out in other parts of the forum). Not just new to the forum, but newbies that find their way to the forum straight away.

4 Likes

I like the look of the new forum but at the same time I feel nostalgic for the old one? Nostalgic for the look, I mean.

I like tho that we can use gifs and stuff, and it seems less intimidating to me too. The bot and the reply notif system is nice too.
Some things are janky on mobile but overall I like it.

1 Like

The new forum feels like a much more friendly place. I visited the old forum occasionally but felt that the presence of a few members made it feel unwelcoming and not a place I would engage in conversation.

2 Likes

Hi all so the NEW forum is great, but of course different to the previous one. Looking at posts for example, where as before I’d see a whole list of them, now I see New Posts or they’re in separate sections, which is great, easy to locate.

In the old forum I once asked the question about “Zero Replies” in that a post never get’s a response, I wonder what happens with them now? That’s if it even happens, that is…

Well thoughts, what’s changed for you? Likes, dis-likes? :slight_smile:

Take care all…

I didn’t participate in the old forum because it looked to confusing when I first checked it out. I started going here because it looked less intimidating.

3 Likes

I found the old Forum very hard to use & figure out, so I mostly didn’t use it - loving the new one - so easy to use!!!

5 Likes

This thread is the same as this one:

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you @SailingBy - i move the posts to the other Topic.

2 Likes