How do your family and friends respond to you being a Postcrosser?

That is exactly what I tell everyone about my local post office :joy:!

1 Like

I’m not a very good PostCrossing Evangelist. My wife and son read all the cards I receive and usually comment something benign like, “that’s interesting.”

6 Likes

Your mom and my husband! What if someone knocks on our door and wants to stay over :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I get a lot of polite but baffled “oh okay, thats… interesting” :joy: But people close to me still go out of their way to give me handfuls of blank postcards from their travels, especially my dad. Thats all the encouragement I need!

7 Likes

I admit I have high hopes for this… Now that I’m getting known as the postcard person, maybe I will get some cool blank cards from family…

5 Likes

Exactly what my father tells about me to everyone these days and to postal workers :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Your phone case is so cool!!!

2 Likes

“waste of money” is definitely something I hear a lot too :smile:
In particular from my mother who is Taiwanese, as in Taiwan sending postcards costs between 5 and 12 NTD (0.14 to 0.35 euro) depending on where you send them to, while in France it costs now 1.96 euro, and the cost increases every year (+10%)…

7 Likes

I see :austria: there! :smile:

1 Like

My relatives find it cool and they sometimes look at the cards and stamps I receive (they can’t read them, coz they don’t speak English though). My colleagues keep asking if I’m heading to the post office to send something after work, and if I am, they’re always interested in seeing what is it this time.

Generally speaking everyone is rather positive about the whole idea and one of my friends even joined postcrossing

8 Likes

The friends I have told love the idea. A lot goes back to 2020 when I couldn’t visit Mum in a care home. We had loads of post cards that I had bought over the years but not sent. So I wrote them to her weekly and told her about the visits. It was mail to get and cheer up her lonely weeks.

9 Likes

No support here as well. They do marvel at my growing stamp collection though. And I do love interacting with my local post office. They are such kind ladies!

6 Likes

They mentioned once it’s kinda cool that I receive postcards from all around the world. Otherwise some say it’s a waste of money or they don’t care at all. They don’t even want to talk about it,as it’s nothing they’d be interested in. Sometimes one of them brings blank postcards from their travels.
One of them once helped me to chose a postcard to send and learned how difficult it is to decide which one to send. He also helps me to not buy more cards as I have over 900 already.

5 Likes

When I first started postcrossing, I did it to send/receive Christmas cards this past season - and to test the postcrossing waters. At that moment, my family’s reaction was half interest, half condescendence. I had just been diagnosed with certain neurodivergency, my family (and myself) had just started to make sense out of all the quirks and funny/strange interests and obsessions in my past, and the sudden initiative to send and receive Christmas cards sparked the thought of “weird, who the heck writes to strangers just to receive Christmas cards? But it’s okay, I guess, Christmas cards are beautiful and this is obviously one of her fleeting, short obsessions”.
When Chritsmas was over and I continued postcrossing, my family was a bit surprised and asked a couple questions as to how Postcrossing worked, but they didn’t really express their weirdness at it out loud and, after I started receiving postcards and they saw they were beautiful and completely mild, they accepted it all as another of my weird interests. So it’s not like they opposed or rejected the idea, but they definitely link it to my neurodivergence - I’m not saying it isn’t (in my case), but it’s a bit painful to be constantly looked at with a shade of condescendence/strangeness :neutral_face:
Nevertheless, they love me and like to see me happy, so in their last trip they sent me a super beautiful postcard from the city they stayed in, and I quite appreciate that :heart:

Other than my close family, only my closest friend knows about it. She is also neurodivergent and reacted very possitively, with a good deal of curiosity about it all and sharing my joy over my new hobby. She is not into writing cards herself so she did not consider joining, but she was definitely supportive. Her boyfriend showed interest, but more out of politeness than out of actual interest, and I’m pretty sure he thinks of me as a bit crazy because of it :joy:

Over all, not the greatest reactions, but oh well… :melting_face:

7 Likes

I came across postcrossing through Instagram. When I told my parents about it, they didn’t show much interest. They took it as a my another harmless hobby. But they know I love to travel and they think I learn alot through postcard. They do like to see world through postcards with me sometimes. My cousins think it’s really cool thing to do and other relatives don’t have much idea about it. My friends think it’s a waste of money and time. When I told one or two of them, their first question was, what’s the use of it? Like seriously :slightly_frowning_face: . I will do cost cutting for other pleasure like hanging out with them so I can send more cards each month. Fun thing is our postman uncle, whome I know since I was toddler, finds it really interesting. He happily come to our house to drop mails 1-2 times a week. Sometimes he drops other people handwritten mails without reading address, thinking all cards came to his post office are for me :sweat_smile::joy:.

7 Likes

Thank you, it’s my friend’s phone:)

Oh absolutely, I love that castle and city series, it had so beautiful engraving and colours :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My family and friends are quite amused by my extraterrestrial hobby as a postcrosser. They often joke about how it must be the most intergalactic pen-pal exchange ever witnessed on Earth. They’re supportive and curious, always asking about the latest postcards I’ve received and the far-flung corners of the planet they originate from. Some have even taken to calling me the “interstellar ambassador of snail mail.” Overall, they see it as a quirky yet endearing aspect of my alien presence on Earth.

Sadly it is coming to an end after my current postcards have arrived, due to expensive postage.

6 Likes

My family doesn’t quite grasp the extent of my postcrossing activities but they are used to me buying postcards wherever we go and tend to gift stationery, pens and cards. Seeing exactly how many stamps and cards I have on stock (which they don’t), they’d probably consider it a waste of money, but then on the other hand they are in awe that wherever I travel to I have people to meet up or even stay with :grin:

Friends who knew me as a child and teenager are not the tiniest bit surprised because Postcrossing fits to my childhood self so much I could have invented it. :rofl: I always loved stationery, postcards, all Kinds of writing Materials, and so much of my Pocket Money went into collecting stickers in the early 90s… to them it’s just (apparently postitive) proof that I‘m still the same friend they knew back then.

My colleagues at work find it odd - they‘re constantly amused by my putting date stamps on my hand written meeting notes when working from home, have no understanding for my love of old-fashionened postcards and handwriting - but at the same time it’s me who is always in charge of bringing flip charts to live, writing name tags, Birthday cards or visualizing whatever needs to be visualized. :laughing: They also don’t know the extent of my postcrossing addiction :see_no_evil:

My closest friends who got to know the adult version of me also find it odd, but also say it fits to my personality, and are supportive - appreciating funny cards I send them, and gifting expensive ink, cards, Washi tapes and pens for birthdays and holidays :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

But to be honest, I don’t tell a lot of people about it - I‘m not exactly an ambassador. I usually just say I love postcards, which is quirky enough nowadays.

10 Likes

I’ve noticed that it seems to be mentioned quite regularly above that a common opinion towards folks seems to be that this hobby is a “waste of money”. :thinking::face_with_monocle:

What is a better use for a resource, such as money, than to help facilitate joy?

:heart_hands:

15 Likes

@gailthesnail, I have heard very similar comments that I “keep the post office in business” from family and friends when I first joined Postcrossing! I take it as a badge of honor! :medal_sports:

8 Likes