How do you store or display your postcards?

I keep the best of the latest on my fridge, and then I have a folder for everything that gets taken down (or not put up in the first place). I’m getting good inspiration here for future storage though :slightly_smiling_face:.

10 Likes

Wow thank you for showing it! It must take a long time to create such a “window” for postcard? Maybe I’ll ask a stupid question, do you cut it with a razor blade? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It doesn’t take long anymore…I draw outlines of the card lightly with the pencil, use paper cutter (metal blade) to make the edge cuts, but cut the rest with normal scissors.

6 Likes

I store my Postcards into boxes and they are in my cupboard =) A long time I’d made a wall collage and picked it on the wall but I had seen that the cards would be dirty and in this fact I had begin to use boxes to store them.

5 Likes

I have my postcards displayed all over my apartment. On the fridge, on the desk, on the shelves… since there is not enough space for all of them, I keep the majority in a box and change them from time to time. I also recently bought a vintage postcard album which is about 100 years old and I love it. Unfortunately, only relatively small cards fit in there. It seems like postcards were smaller in the past.

97 Likes

Hello! I keep postcards in a notebook with A5 files. it’s very convenient to look and read :slight_smile: I frame some postcards :slight_smile:

98 Likes

We have only 140 cards so far but are beginning to realise that we will be needing a sensible method of storing incoming cards rather than the card albums that we’re using at the moment. Some crossers have thousands of cards. Where do you keep them? Do you sort them by date or country or subject? Let’s hear your thoughts please.

11 Likes

You might also want to check out this thread on postcard storage:

I store mine in photo boxes by country. I’m still trying to figure out the best way to display them.

7 Likes

This is a new account but I’ve been saving postcards and mail for a while.
Since postcards are double sided, I end up sticking them in my journals (one is for mail only)
I put washi tape along one edge so I can flip them over to reread. That’s my favorite way.
Or sometimes I tuck them into paper, which is easy to do by cutting four small sideways cuts into paper to kind of frame them?
My friend, I know they put them in album that has plastic pockets.

18 Likes

Right now, mine are sorted two ways:

1. I have a bunch of different collections like Lantern Press, Inge Look, Covid Cards, etc. All cards which fit into the collections are stored together.
  2. All other cards are sorted by stamp/postmark / country.

All of my cards are in small manilla envelopes, then in plastic bins. I have been trying to brainstorm ways I want to display/store my cards. I have a few ideas, but due to covid and tight budgets, I am not able to put them in action yet…

1. Make photo books that show both sides of the cards and either organize by country then collection, or separately. In other words, scan both sides of the cards, then upload them to a photo book website like Shutterfly or something similar.
  2. Photo Albums with plastic sleeve pages in various sizes. I already have some of these that my Greetings From (postallove) cards are in. This works, but will use a lot of sleeves if I want to keep the back of the card visible, but I’d still have to pull out the binder and page through if I wanted to see them all.
  3. Finally, I’ve been thinking about getting individual vinyl sleeves for each card and hang them one after the other, then hang the string of them from the ceiling. This will require a lot of sleeves and time to install.

I have nearly 1200 sent and received official cards and probably another 1000 or so received forum cards, so, This will be a big undertaking whichever I choose!

7 Likes

I flagged this Topic and ask the moderators for combining it with

Hello
I keep the majority in a box and change them from time to time.
But i need to find other ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have ordners (or multo-maps, whatever you call them haha) with insert covers specially designed for 10x15cm cards. 8 cards fit 1 insert cover (4 on one side, 4 on the other). For cards bigger than that I have A5 sized insert covers:

27 Likes

Where did you get this folder from? :slight_smile:

From the HEMA, haha, a Dutch warehouse

5 Likes

So not impossible for Germans to go there as we have 11 HEMA stores in Germany. Also one in Frankfurt @Grapenat.

4 Likes

I am from Frankfurt! I go to HEMA once a month :smiley: !!! @Oo_Hawkwind_oO

2 Likes

I love to see all your cool solutions!

I store mine in two small albums that I found on my apartment building’s “take-1-leave-1” recycle shelf. They were filled with collectible picture-cards of Justin Bieber or someone similar, but I just thew those away (which I have since regretted, as they would have been fun for collages, if nothing else).

I really like these albums because they are completely made of see-through material, so perfectly customizable. They fit regular postcards sizes, so I put in larger cards as shown above.
What is most important to me, is that they show both sides of the card.
As for how I sort my cards, they usually start out chronological, and then I move them around if I feel like certain ones would look good together.

My only problem is, that these two albums are not very large, and can only hold 72 small cards each. So I’m quickly running out of space, and I don’t know where to get similar albums.

41 Likes

I store them in a box now, but I’d like to try to make an album, so I ordered some of those folders (is that the right word?) to put some cards in.

Edit: The folders arrived and I didn’t order enough for all of my postcards, but so far I like the look of them, so I’ll be creating an album of the years 2019-2020 now after ordering some more of them ^-^

Those look like 4x6 photo albums?
If you search ‘72 pocket clear photo album’ online you can find many varieties like this:

Many albums are also larger, or have three pockets on one page!

19 Likes