How do you feel about custom designed/photography cards?

Go for it!

1 Like

You asked so i will answer. I take many photos and get a lot of positive feedback about my photos. Online on Discord and offline while showing them to my friends. I printed a few of them on postcards by using the printing service from a local drug store and good pretty good results and positive feedback. I also designed postcards for the autism awareness day with a grafic design program and let them be printed on postcards from a printhouse. And got good results.

So in my opinion they are good as long as they are printed professionally and the photo has a good quality.

6 Likes

Hi. In my small town in UK where I live there is no postcards at all with the town. I have created multi view postcards about my town and very often I send them.

23 Likes

These are superb.
If you would like to work your way around the country I’m sure you would have a lot of custom !

2 Likes

I’ve never tried sending my own cards on the official site but I have offered some here as well as on other sites where I exchange cards.

I personally don’t care much for cards with “real” photos (tourist or otherwise) but I do like film photography so I would enjoy receiving cards with pictures taken by the sender, especially if they were taken on film

3 Likes

I love custom designs and cards made from people’s own photos. The postcards sold in souvenir shops around New York are mostly banal, the same views of the skyline, Times Square, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue of Liberty, usually with a clear blue sky above. I made cards of my own photos in different places around the city during golden hour or foggy days. They’re much more interesting than the store bought cards, but I wouldn’t send them to people who request otherwise.

4 Likes

I would love to recieve a card made based on your photographs (or selfmade cards in general). Even more as I’m a hobby-photographer and it’s always interesting to see the “style” of other photographers. As a bonus, your cards are absolutely unique, and that might also help with profiles that don’t want to recieve duplicates.

4 Likes

The Walmart down in Norman has quite a few souvineer cards

1 Like

@Izzy2018 This caught me way off guard, but in a good way! I’ll have to check that out!

I don’t mind them at all, and in some cases photos by the sender are more personal about their interests and home areas than commercial ones. I use [Snapfish](Snapfish | Personalized Gifts, Cards, Home Decor, Photo Books & More

to create 5x7 two-sided postcards of my photos with certain topics: hike across Grand Canyon, visit to an Old West mining town, highlights of the Southwest (or Sedona, Cottonwood, or Arizona), Disney European cruises, driving in Scotland, etc. One side of the hike is attached. Snapfish allows you to add captions and address area with custom line for date, Postcrossing ID, and temperature. I usually use them when I get a recipient that already has thousands of cards - I know mine will be unique!

4 Likes

Hey, as I like to take pictures I want to print more of them on postcards (I have done that before but only once in a professional way).
I have a penpal who prints his own pictures and sends them and they are so beautiful.

I don’t know how people feel about those cards, because I consider them kind of self-made. I sent some of mine out in an offer before (https://community.postcrossing.com/t/offer-selfmade-cards-from-london-underground/757720)
These are the ones I printed with my at-home printer to give you an example. Would you like to receive those? If so, do you prefer animals / buildings / landscapes / flowers? Tell me your opinion :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I am yet to make postcards out of my own photography but the lack of postcards available in India has caused me to slowly think of professionally getting my photography printed. Though I am yet to explore that area as anything related to postcards is literally non existent.
Regardless, oh my my your photography is amazing. :star_struck::heart_eyes::star_struck::heart_eyes: Lovely postcards :face_holding_back_tears::heart:

3 Likes

I prefer, landscapes, life and monuments, viewcards and ofcourse animals… to show my culture my country my places or places that I travel and enjoy. So yeah. Animals and Viewcards and Daily life is what I prefer

1 Like

Since you asked for opinions, I’ll give you mine. When I used to do this, I always preferred store-bought cards. While many of these self-produced cards are good quality, I don’t see the point of getting a postcard of an animal, a flower, or other generic subjects - which typically form the bulk of these types of cards. This applies to store-bought cards too. That being so, I might expect a postcard of a subject specific to that country. A postcard of a giraffe mailed from Norway or the Eiffel Tower mailed from Russia…I think you get the point.

3 Likes

so basically no, but yes if the picture shows something of the countrys origin?

2 Likes

I don’t mind receiving cards that someone has photographed themselves, as long as they are printed on thick paper and looks like a postcard :slight_smile:

I’ve had a few of my own bird photos printed (not at home) and the receivers liked them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could you send a link?

Most of my officials are my own pictures made into postcards - I get them professionally printed at a shop

5 Likes

I am happy with receiving self-made photography postcards, but honestly I enjoy good composition the most. The subject, to me, is secondary.

5 Likes

I like self-printed cards of something unique.

So far I have only made cards about this unique postbox in Japan :

The Japanese characters on the postbox says “Postal Service Connects the World” and it has a sculpture of people supporting the globe. :slight_smile:

8 Likes