How do bookmarks and Notification levels work on this forum?

I think you need to change in your Preferences -> Notifications this:
Maybe you have it in Watching, instead of normal or tracking

hope it helps :slight_smile:

OK, I found it in preferences and notifications. I’m done with this, hopefully. Thank you all.

2 Likes

yes, this is for all topics. look for your preferences:
then notifications:
and here (the 3rd “question”):

hope it helps :smiley:

ps: don’t forget to save changes :wink:

1 Like

In your settings, you can change how long you can look at a topic before it changes to watching.

Under Preferences > Notifications you’ll find the setting below. The default time is quite short, but I found 2 minutes is a good time to skim and decide if you are interested or not.

I’ve been trying to set a bookmark for a post, rather than a topic, but can’t get it to work. Every time it defaults to showing me the last unread post on the topic, rather than the one I set the bookmark on.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

Mmmm… :thinking: Which post are you trying to bookmark? And are you setting a date for a reminder, or no reminder?

My post in a bingo, no reminder.

I just tried again. I went to the post, click the three dots, then the bookmark and save. The icon changes colour to show it has worked.

But then if I go to the bookmarks link, and follow that, it goes to the end of the topic.

And it’s only this particular bookmark that is misbehaving? What if you try to bookmark someone else’s post on that topic?

(I’ve just tried with yours and it works fine… not sure what might be causing this)

I tried on a couple of mine. And just then I tried on someone else’s and it also went to the bottom of the thread.

Here’s my bookmark on an early post in this topic:

https ://community.postcrossing.com/t/how-do-bookmarks-and-notification-levels-work-on-this-forum/5527/19

I went to the bookmark list, right-clicked and copied the address, and it is as above (going to your post).

And now my bookmark no longer shows on the post, although it does show at the bottom of the topic.

@helent Are you seeing this in the …/activity/bookmarks page or the https://community.postcrossing.com/bookmarks page? I noticed that bookmarked posts shows up in the …/activity/bookmarks page and it does take you to the post. The other bookmarks page takes you to the bottom of the topic regardless of whether you’ve bookmarked the topic or a post.

1 Like

It worked from the activity page, thank you! But that is several extra steps to get to from the home page.

Hi, one user says that they have here at email settings at all three points Never but they still receive some emails. Is it possible? Is there some other place that should be edited for not receiving emails?

Hi Silpa!

Could you ask the person to get in touch with us, either here or through the site’s contact form? We can have a look at their account settings and messages they’ve received and try to help. Discourse is a complex forum and we or they might be missing something. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to set your options so the Forum and click on New, it only picks up things that are written in English?

I don’t think so, but you should be able to mute all of the non-english categories. Since English is the primary language in most of the forum, muting the specific language categories should mean that you only see posts in English.

I can clarify with screenshots if you need me to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks - could you screenshot one as an example?

1 Like

No problem! So here’s how you get to the settings:

On mobile, tap your icon/notifications menu, select the little person tab, and choose “Preferences”. Then from the drop down menu, choose “Categories”.

Photos

Once you’re there, you can mute any categories you like! I’ve got most regions and any languages I don’t speak muted as you can see.

Photo

Then when I click on the “latest” or “new” categories, it only shows English topics because everything else is muted!
Hope this is helpful! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. I will give that a try.

1 Like

Is there a reason for placing a limit on making NEW bookmarks? I just don’t see the reason for limiting this. I could understand limits on messaging, posting or replying to topics as part of efforts to limit spam. I can even understand a limit on total number of accumulated bookmarks, of which I rarely accumulate more than around 10 or so at a time since most bookmarks I make are deleted as soon as I’ve had time to follow up. I’ve been away for a year or so and I don’t remember this being a problem last time, and I probably bookmarked more back then.

This limitation is negatively affecting my ability to enjoy the Forum and I just don’t see any rational reasoning behind it.

And it’s only 9:40 in the morning!

You can go to your forum profile, under activity - bookmarks (or similar I have the interface i german) are all your books, mext to each bookmark are three dots menues, where you can delecte them if you want.

1 Like