How are you celebrating World Postcard Day? Share your pictures and experiences

I had been on a break from Postcrossing, but had to get back into it for World Postcard Day. I sent my 10 officials, which included a new sent county for me: Moldova! I also sent 4 unofficial cards. I’m glad to get my Postcrossing groove back!

18 Likes

Nameste from India,

We celebrate the World Postcard Day on 1st October 2023 at Bengaluru Karnataka India ,hosted by Vinay ji.

Around 25+ of us had gathered for this .
It was a fun-filled day with lots and lots of signing, sending msg to friends , relatives and ofcourse postcrossing friends across the :earth_americas:.

It was my first World Postcard Day meetup , attended it along with my son @Vishesh who also loved it.

A day to cherish forever.

44 Likes

With Floyd’s help, 35 cards have been written on WPD. :smiley: I mailed them yesterday. May they travel safely!

30 Likes

I’ve got already my badge, because a user in India changed his address and the card was registered by postcrossing

21 Likes

I had ravioli and stampalike bisquits. :slightly_smiling_face:

40 Likes

Postcrosser Berthold (aka @Bravo8ss) shared these photos and text with us, from an event that took place in Indonesia to celebrate both the World Postcard Day and National Batik Day, which is celebrated on October 2nd! :heart_eyes:

To commemorate the World Postcard Day (WPD) on October 1st and the Indonesia’s National Batik Day on October 2nd, the Komunitas Postcrossing Indonesia (KPI) or the Indonesia Postcrossing Community held a meet up at the Museum Tekstil (Textile Museum) in Jakarta, on Saturday, September 30, 2023. Not less than 30 postcrosser from Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung, Tangerang, Tangerang Selatan, Depok, and other cities, participated in the meet up.

The meet up begins with practising making batik, the traditional textile from Indonesia which is now already officialy recognized by the UNESCO as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. Batik itself is an Indonesian technique of wax-resist dyeing applied to the whole cloth. This technique originated from the island of Java. Batik is made either by drawing dots and lines of the resist with a spouted tool called a “canting”, a pen-like tool used to apply liquid hot wax in the batik-making process in Indonesia, especially in the batik tulis. There also another batik technique by printing the resist with a copper stamp called as batik cap. The applied wax resists dyes and therefore allows the artisan to colour selectively by soaking the cloth in one colour, removing the wax with boiling water, and repeating if multiple colours are desired.

While other postcrosser made batik with the design already prepared by the museum, I chose to make a design with the Postcrossing logo. After around 45 minutes we were practising making batik, the meet up activities followed by a visit into the museum. The visit to see the contents of the museum is guided by a museum guide who explains the various textile collections on display.

Later, the meet up followed by giving some give aways and distributing postcards to each other as well as signing and stamping meet up postcards. What a memorable meet up we have.

29 Likes

And Kosovo Post distributed postcards in a school, to teach children how to write postcards to their friends in other classrooms! :heart_eyes:

21 Likes

Wow, I just scrolled through this topic and I am amazed how active all of you were on Sunday! :smile:
My own WPD was rather quiet as I had sent off most of my cards to forum friends and penpals before Sunday hoping that they might arrive in time for people do find them in their mailbox for WPD. Worked in some cases, some cards arrived yesterday and some are still travelling…
On the day itself I wrote 5 official cards and some letters, and that was it. No ravioli, either :joy: , we had a barbecue instead (probably the last one for this year).

But it’s great to see that eveyone had so much fun! :grinning:

:green_heart: :fox_face:

22 Likes

Hard to hold 60 cards in one hand, and cell in the other … :sweat_smile: and now they’re on their way … 10 officials per WPD limits, plus a few other officials, family, friends, Ukraine.

26 Likes

I got my badge today. Yay!
A special ID code. :heart_eyes:

29 Likes

Where can you find your earned badges?

You can see them on your “About” page on the official site below your username.

:green_heart::fox_face:

2 Likes

Here

Or are we talking about a different sort of badge? I’ve just seen that @ravishing is talking about an ID code

3 Likes

Greetings from Bucharest Romania - where we had an amazing World Postcard Day Meeting! And we send like 280 cards to more than 50 countries! Yaai! :smiley:

and those are the cards being sent!

36 Likes

My first WPD card arrived today and I received my #4 badge :tada:

11 Likes

I think @ravishing is talking about the special ID of the card: FI-4490000

3 Likes

WOW! Well done Bucharest!! :clap:

Hi, I’m just 1½ years into Postcrossing, so why are ravioli a thing? I’m curious :smiley:

Ravioli and stamps have the same shape :slight_smile:

See the ones my partner and I made for World Postcard Day last year, which were featured on the Postcrossing Blog!

Edit and I guess here’s my original post about it :laughing:

7 Likes

Thanks! Unless we happen to be looking out the window, or working in the front garden, we have little knowledge of who stops by but all are welcome.

If you’d like to see our other patterns (or if anyone is looking for inspiration for a postcard design), you can see our previous patterns here:

2022: We Have Huggers!! - M&M's Musings
2023: 2023 Hug Zones - M&M's Musings

Hugs,
M&M

P.S. We got a number of postcards in the mail on October 1, including one to India, one to Germany, two to the US and several to friends and family in Canada.

1 Like