Hopelessness of a new Postcrosser with long travelling cards

About a year ago, nothing arrived in the USA in less than 50 days :rofl: And my norm for Russia used to be a month, it has become so fast lately!

Italy is very erratic. Could take 10 days, could take 2-3 months. I sent LOTS of stuff to Italy (outside of official postcrossing, so arranged privately) in the first two weeks of December and they all started to arrive in the last week or so. I had started to wonder if I should resign myself to having lost about 10 envelopes! Even though I know mail is sslllooow. Also December and January have a lot of holidays so in Italy there are two full weeks when nothing much happens across Dec./Jan.

My first sent cards took 30-40 days. So there you go. I have a gazillion cards on the way but most of them are pretty slow. Unfortunately China can be very slow but on the way in and way out. So nothing to do but wait.

7 Likes

Yes, the waiting in the beginning is hard. Postcrossing teaches us patience though for sure.

Join the games on here in the Forum to send more postcards & generate more to receive while youā€™re waiting. Many of us have done this when we first started & it helped a great deal.

Tags are very easy to do - pick a theme you like & tag someone & send them a card & someone will tag you back & send you a card soon.
https://community.postcrossing.com/c/games-activities/tags/86

There are many lotteries to play as well although you may have to play a few before you win - look for the ones for new members too.
https://community.postcrossing.com/c/games-activities/lotteries/99

And you can offer direct swaps to people or respond to their offers - all of these will get more postcards coming your way while youā€™re waiting for your official cards to arrive.
https://community.postcrossing.com/c/trades-requests-offers/postcards/32

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
The time these poscards took shocked me deeply!
The fewer flights between the USA and China may be one of the reasons.
Hoping everyone can receive their postcards soon.

Hi thank your for your information.
All I need is patience and hope.
Best wishes to you.

1 Like

Hi thanks for your suggestions!!
Iā€™ve been wandering around the forum looking for similar topics and you help me a lot!!
Happy Postcrossing!

2 Likes

If it comforts you a bit, I received a postcard from China about last week. It was from a new postcrosser as well and they sent it off on 1st October! I sent a warm hooray message and thanked them. Itā€™s a beautiful postcard. I really hope, they will continue with postcrossing.

The same I hope for you. :slight_smile: Please, donā€™t be discouraged.

5 Likes

Hi friend from Germany!
I do feel warmer in receiving your reply, thank you very much.
At least I still have hope now.
Best wishes.

2 Likes

Hello & Welcome to Postcrossing!

It is very slow to get started. We signed up in 2021 (Dec 3) and have just recently (Jan 2022) had cards start arriving. At present, we have sent 13 and received 7. Yours should start picking up soon!

It is very difficult to be patient. Quite honestly, we wish we could just send 15-20 cards right now and wait - - - BUT Postcrossing has these limits for a reason, soā€¦ we just gotta wait.

In the meantime, you can check the Forums and see if thereā€™s anyone seeking cards. We have sent a few cards to various folks asking for them for one reason or another. Itā€™s not the same as sending official Postcrossing cards, but it does give you an opportunity to send a few here and there. :slight_smile:

Happy Postcrossing & we hope your cards start arriving soon!

Best,
Mychal and Tara

4 Likes

Hi and Thank you, Mychal and Tara!
Itā€™s not surprising we share the same feelings.
Iā€™m trying to teach myself to be patient and it seems to start to work.
Hope everyone can have good time postcrossing!
Letā€™s turn our mailbox into a box of hope.

2 Likes

30-day is a commonplace when sending international letters via China Post even if one pays air mail fare. Also have a look whether your recipients are active recently. Now I have many traveling cards whose recipients are last seen in 1 monthā€¦

2 Likes

As a newbie, I know the feeling! I just keep telling myself it will all work out soon enough and be worth all the patience and anxiousness. That is what makes postcrossing more fun than social media (my opinion). It isnā€™t instant gratification, and you have to wait a while :slight_smile: I sent my first five cards and check my postcrossing twice a day! LOL No one has registered it yet, but I am optimistic it will all work out and I can keep sending :slight_smile: Good luck to you!

6 Likes

It is also helpful to join some of the games and swaps in the interrim.

What I am doing is going to penpals forum and making penpals in my own country so some mail arrives quicker :slight_smile:

All the best

2 Likes

A senior from my house sent me (in Germany) a postcard from the North of Italy in October '21
when he was on holidays there, it has not arrived yet unfortunately.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry. Sooner or later, they show up. I know once these cards show up, register and send a few. Maybe consider trades and direct swaps and balance the two. Maybe send official cards once in a while. And trades in others.

Patience is of course a virtue.

5 Likes

Just seen that you live in China.
Suppose that flights from and to China donā€™t ā€œworkā€ regular because of the pandemic.
Some of my cards sent to Chinese postcrosseres did not arrive for a very long time.
Did you write your adress - besides in Englisch letters - also in Chinese letters, so that the sender can print it out and fix it on the card? My experience is, that cards to China when the adress is written in English letters, the card takes really long to get delivered, and sometimes never doā€¦ so please make sure to add your adress also in Chinese letters if you havenā€™t done up to now.

Once I forgot to write the ID-number on the card so the receiver could not registrate. Postcrossing could help, but itā€™s more safe to make sure you always write the ID-number on the card.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you wonā€™t have to wait too long now for your first card - must be demotivating and fustrating to wait that long.

1 Like

Hang in there! Patience! Even after a year and a half, some weeks I feel like a real Postcrosser getting a couple of postcards in my mailbox every dayā€“then suddenly it takes weeks to get one! Certainly is a lesson in patience! :mailbox_closed: :heart:

3 Likes

I am so sorry, @Treeinwinter. I feel your pain. I started on 1/19/22. All of my initial cards went from the US to Germany. Three of them were registered within 9 days. I consider myself very blessed because everything I read in the forums said to expect to wait around 30 days for cards to register when you first start.

I have been keeping myself busy by joining RRs and lotteries while I wait for my first card to arrive. I am really starting to enjoy the friends I am the making on forum. They are making the wait bearable with their stories and advice. I hope your cards register soon.

3 Likes

I just had the same thing happen with Italy. Three cards sent at different times in late November/early Decemberā€¦to two different addresses in Italyā€¦and all three arrived on the same day earlier this week! So funny. I did wonder how that happened.

1 Like

Hello Treeinwinter,

I agree, it is very hard to wait for postcards in the beginning. I see that you are in China, my experience has been that postcards to and from your country and mine (USA) take a minimum of 30 days. Sometimes as long as 70 days. Iā€™m not sure of travel time between China and other countries. . I hope your mailbox is filled very soon and that your long wait will be over.

Susie

1 Like

Hang in there. Postcrossing is very slow at first. Soon it will go faster when you are able to send more at a time.

Cards to and from China are taking a really long time from the USA. I know it is painful at first, but have faith.

If you would like to direct swap, let me know.

2 Likes