Help me get my spark back

One way to do this is to not limiting yourself to Official PostCrossing. Check out the Forum, join tags or Round Robins, etc. As to what you can send to addresses you draw, don’t get hung up on preferences. Just send a card that you personally like and have on hand.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh Eric,
I love your response!!
So funny, I went to reply & only then saw it was you with the great wisdom, lol.
Hope you are well my friend.
d

1 Like

Have you tried the Forum tags, RRs, etc? Sometimes it’s good to make a change, at least it’s how I do, a bit on the official site, a bit on the forum, as everybody already said, don’t feel pressured, make a pause if you feel like (but try the forum tags before :wink: it’s addictive!! :grimacing:)

4 Likes

Dear, you deserve to receive some new postcards. You will receive an old one from Mallorca in Spain and maybe it helps you to spark it back. :grinning:

Tolo from Mallorca- Spain
If you can locate my island in the Mediterranean, that’s a bonus.

1 Like

Yes! I hit it fast and hard last summer also! I found the swapping groups in the Fall and went CRAZY with that! THEN I found the Forum! And this is my happy place now. In the Spread the Joy section, it satisfies the part of me that wants to make people happy. :heart: Sending birthday, anniversary, senior centers, etc motivates me now! And when it’s time to send a Postcrossing card, it’s an EXTRA BONUS!

In response to your new guy, when I am at a loss or feel no connection, I’ve created a few different postcards that are my go-to. They allow me to tell a little story, which I hope people would find interesting. I connect it to my city (NYC) or my hometown (Buffalo, NY).

I’ve also made some pen friends. They are AWESOME and I enjoy maintaining those relationships. I’ve also organized two groups of family and friends who swap postcards monthly.

4 Likes

In this particular case, you could take it as a challenge: find some sturdy card-stock and draw your very best erotic merry-go-round in a cemetery (and then post a photo here, because now I’m dying to see such a thing :joy:)

Alternatively, pick the 33rd (or any other number) card from your stash and write “I didn’t have any cards with your specific wishes, so enjoy this pangolin card instead, it was the 33rd one in my pile”. It’s a completely non-confrontational way of letting him know his tastes are somewhat niche

11 Likes

Oh wow, this took off :slight_smile: Thank you so much everyone taking the time to reply to me. I have 3 little boys under 6 that have just gone to bed so I’m too tired right now to respond to each of you but I will hopefully tomorrow. I love Postcrossing and love sending cards in the forum here. Not sure what to do next, maybe I’ll just take a break for a week or so and organize my cards at night. I’ll try to make a better reply tomorrow. Thank you again everyone, it was so heartwarming to read what you all wrote.

7 Likes

Sometimes I get bored of profiles with specific wishes, so I don’t send for a little while, or go and find like-minded people on the forum or focus on my penpals.

Recently I got a bit bored of receiving generic messages on my cards. But since I receive in big waves, I have not received much since then and I am pretty enthusiastic again.

I just think, like others say, it’s not an obligation, you do it when you like and the way you like.

2 Likes

I enjoy sending random cards to people/charity. There’s a section in the forum, but I also joined groups on Facebook or found special websites. I like the idea of brightening someone’s day, esp. in care facilities :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I don’t have anything for people’s special interests at all they usually get a classic city view card. Can’t really go wrong with that I think. Or something I think they might like as well.
I often find it hilarious what people are into. “Hobbies: martial arts and knitting” or something like that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
And empty profiles might look discouraging at first but I always write them nice cards and let me tell you - I got the absolut kindest Hurray mails from people with empty profiles! Do yourself a favour and always remember that there might be a thousand reasons you couldn’t think of why someone is like this or that online and don’t assume they do it to annoy you. Postcrossing will be a lot more fun with that mindset.

10 Likes

I think it’s perfectly fine to just take a break if you need, especially if you find that something seems to be affecting you negatively. A hobby is meant to be an avenue of relaxation, and something which you enjoy doing. There might be times when others might seem to ruin it for you, but it’s how you choose to react that ultimately matters.

I have taken a break from Postcrossing too, and I returned to it subsequently. If this is something that you love doing, you will return to it no matter what, even if it takes a while for that return.

You deserve the right to interpret how you wish to be involved in your hobby. It’s your hobby, not others’. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok everyone, I decided to pull just one more address and then give Postcrossing a break. And the gentleman whose profile I got included the phrase “I am not a sex-maniac”. I was so delighted I just laughed. This man will never know how he probably just saved Postcrossing for me.

21 Likes

Unless of course you tell him. I imagine it would be great to read something like that on a card.

2 Likes

I did not, but I did send him a very nice black and white photo card of the semi-nude Atlas statue in Manhattan, NYC.

The vast majority of Postcrossers would be unable to fulfill these requests, so the fact that this user is still doing Postcrossing means that he must be open to receiving cards on other topics too. Just pick any card, write a nice message, and send it off. :+1:

As for your other question about getting over the slump… there’s nothing wrong with taking a break from sending cards if you’re not enjoying it as much. I haven’t sent many cards recently but have been thinking about starting to send more again. You could also send more unofficial cards through tags, swaps, or RRs, that way you could seek out people who want to receive the exact kind of cards you just bought. :smiley:

@dnrhott You know we all have our up and down days in life. This journey we are on earth is for a limited time. I wish you the best in finding your drive back dear friend. Lively lovely postcards to you.

1 Like

I like to write cards on Saturday morning as I drink coffee…am relaxed and not rushing out to work. I participate in spurts…sending a few when I’m in the mood. Its a casual hobby, nothing to stress over!

4 Likes

@cottontailfarm Thanks for giving me a good laugh! We all or most of us started off after an erotic affair of two persons. We got our sparkle then. That was erotica.
After our last breathe most of us are placed in a casket or coffin and with a sparkle it’s set on fire. If not the coffin goes down to earth. Seafunerals are possible as well. That’s the cemetry.
Inbetween those two life is ofthen a merrygoround. That is number 3.

In my userprofile I write my interrests are coffins caskets hearses as well. I’m more interrested in roundabouts traffic, but merrygoround are super!
I did not write erotica, but reading between the lines and favourites might give you an impression about this.

To cheer you up @cottontailfarm: walking in nature might give you your sparkle back. Note that you can always for whatever reason or no reason ignore the userprofile text. It is a challenge to keep your pleasure if you get those profiles. Just like in everyday life.

Dear wonderful Postcrossers,

I recently restarted Postcrossing after being away for many years (I’m not sure why I stopped and now I wish I’d done more before postage became so expensive!) and am having a lovely time and really believe that it’s one of the kindest corners of the internet. Then I drew the profile of someone who ‘doesn’t care about LGBT’ stuff (she suggests that people can do what they want in private but essentially ‘don’t do it in front of me’) and doesn’t approve of feminism or campaigning for equal rights because everyone is equal by default and it isn’t necessary (has she seen the state of the world?). Has anyone else drawn a profile that has made them uncomfortable? It really made my heart sink.

1 Like

Yes, last year I got an address of someone claiming covid was a conspiracy. :roll_eyes::sweat_smile: I just picked a view card and only wrote “Happy Postcrossing”. I know it’s not the kindest thing to do, but I couldn’t make myself share something about my life with this person. I think this is the second best thing to do.

3 Likes