Help identifying stamp please: SOLVED!

Hello,
I bought a bundle of stamps at a charity shop and this was one of them. I can’t find anything like it anywhere online. I thought at one point that the portrait was of George V of England because it looks like some portraits of him but now I’m not sure. Any help would be appreciated, especially if you can translate the text. If you know what country it’s from as well then that would be brilliant.

2 Likes

It seems that this stamp is from Finland.

1 Like

To me it looks like a (Russian) stamp with Tsar Nikolai Romanov.

1 Like

It’s a Russian stamp, I recognized some possibly cyrillic letters and googled ‘russian stamps’ on a whim, and this specific image was within the first page of image results! Some background here, for example the man is Czar Nicholas II: Russian Stamps - Issues of 1913-1917

4 Likes

And probably the reason why he looks like King George V from the UK is because he and Czar Nicholas were cousins. They were well known for their similar looks.

10 Likes

Ahh, reading the whole article about these stamps I understand that these are Russian stamps that are also used in Finland.

1 Like

Finland used to be Grand Duchy within the Russian Empire till 1917.
Nicholas II was not so popular here because of his plans to make Finns Russians.
Fortunately that didn´t happen.
Face value of this stamp is 7 Russian kopek and
it is issued to celebrate Romanov Dynasty 300th Anniversary.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Oh yeah, thank you!

1 Like

Be careful with those stamps @Judeles :slight_smile:
Some uncancelled boring looking Russian stamps from the end of 19th century
may be worth hundreds of euros…

5 Likes

That’s the main thing I like about it, They were cousins and They both looks mostly same!
That’s why sometimes WWI is called Cousin’s war

1 Like

Yes, with Kaiser Wilhelm too. It was an extraordinary thing, when you think about it.

1 Like

Its a Russian Tsar Nicholas II .

just read and was interesting. but no one noted that on the stamp, below tsar nicolas II face was the letter “H” which translate into the latin letter “N” with roman numbers II for 2. was amazed on how he and his cousin george V look like twins. seen a program many years ago about how the tsar family visiting the british royals, the two rulers exchanging uniforms in a photo - could not tell the difference who was who. guess cousin wilheim did not like beards. (joking). learn something new about old russian/finnish stamps.

1 Like