Have you ever gotten a card or seen a profile with a political or religious message?

Sort of is, because it it’s official, it’s just a normal card, if it’s something else, it is more weird than normal. But, if no one knows, and it can’t be tracked to be official, or to show it isn’t, then there’s nothing more to do then. (I think many here don’t like the idea someone storing the addresses and sending anonymous stuff later, therefore it would be “nice” to know it was just on official without id.)

Of course if it’s just one in 10 years, maybe id missing, which I believe it was, perhaps the receiver already let it go and be forgotten, and it was just acute reaction thinking the worst scenario.

Why? There are tons of people who store every single mail they’ve ever received by Postcrossing. Including the address mails. Just for…I don’t know, personal statistics or whatever. So you have to suspend a lot of people. Including me, by the way, because once or twice I did that, too. One person later received an envelope full of cards for her child (of course, I referred to who I am) and the other one is a pen pal since then (which wasn’t planned before).
Imho if you suspend people who just keep addresses you put them under general suspicion - no need to do this. Though I don’t understand why keeping all addresses forever I also don’t see a problem in that fact - as long as someone is not misusing them.

But at least in my case it’s only my / our suspect that it could be someone who officially wrote to us - but it could also be someone who took part in a RR long time before and that’s why they had our addresses.

What I personally don’t like is the fact that (adult) people try to proselytizing other (adult) people, whether religiously or politically, without knowing whether this is okay for them or whether they are touching on a topic that is highly unpleasant or even sensitive or hurtful for those people. And the fact that there are people who do this anonymously shows me that they are well aware that it is not okay. Not forbidden, of course, but not okay either.

4 Likes

Please read again the part you quoted, you misunderstood what I meant.
I wrote “who keep addresses and send something later”. (And apparently in cases it’s more like spam or advertising).

I know there are people whose email is full of old mails, and I didn’t mean these members should be suspended. Only if they use the addresses for other purposes.

The guidelines say to use the address only for postcrossing, so anonymous card without id is not such.
(“The addresses given to you are private information and can only be used for Postcrossing purposes”)
(And here again, if the id is forgotten, no need to suspend anyone because of that of course.)

To me, it’s not Postcrossing purpose, if they already sent the official and sometimes later send something else, because then it’s not Postcrossing anymore → there is no id, card can’t be registered, so they are using the address for their personal purposes.

If you want to know whether it comes from the official site or spam mail… I suggest to submit your question to the person who received the said postcard.

I think your discussion is shifting to ads or spam cards? Found an old thread that you may like to read it.

Apparently, if someone received something that is unsure or weird, just send a report to the Postcrossing’s Support team and they will take appropriate action in every case.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve misunderstood you, but I should have pointed out that I refer not only to you but in general as there were also discussions in the past like people don’t want their addresses to be kept and this should be punished.
I quoted part of your text because it fit.

Further I still think it’s totally okay if you send out something (your word) later - as long as you really take care you don’t bring people into confusion or use it for spamming or if people state clear on their profile that they don’t want to have further cards / contact.

But it is getting too off topic now.

I did. She hasn’t answered/updated yet.

Partly, but religious can be spam, not always. Here is many overlapping topics.
Like above is mentioned writing about babies and spiders (@KolmeNoitaa ) that’s not religion or politics, there is more proper topic for that, but probaly it’s already flagged as off topic and/or will be moved (Edit. I think these topics could be put together, (although some do enjoy reading religious and political) but now seems these are used like it’s same topic :thinking: .):

I agree, of course. But now when this topic was made public, and kept, I think it’s good manners to “finish” it here too.

Yes you should have, thanks for clarification.
My part doesn’t fit, I don’t want punishments to members who keep the addresses in their email.

You can think this, but no one needs to state anything in their profile if they don’t want any further contact. I think most can’t even think someone will send them anything later, it’s supposed to be one time connection. We all have agreed to this when joining.

Yes, partly off topic, but related, if the religious card was sent using old official address.
Also very important to know some members have this loose attitude to the rules here and others addresses. (I know some persons become more close, but then it’s agreed and addresses changed both ways, I have too - then it’s not Postcrossing-given address anymore.)

Please stop this long off-topic discussion now.
If you want to continue talking about it, you can do so via PM.

3 Likes

I want to keep this thread as revelent to the topics in discussion as much as possible.

Perhaps you can create a separate thread to discuss about this case?

A discussion should be constructive, you are repeating what you are saying for sometime. This is not going anywhere…

3 Likes

Me? Or @anna_banana_87 ? I thought if she starts it here, it’s ok to talk about it here.
If it’s made as it’s own topic, of course I write related messages there.
(Edit. I also hope, if one wants to keep this as topic as possible, then not write a message evaluating my message being not constructive (?) :smile: or what they see my message is :wink: And if someone is allowed to write misunderstanding about my message, I’m equally allowed to correct it of course.)

But let’s not write about it anymore then, I’m happy to read an update, if such happens, I think that’s allowed to be written here.

And back to topic → :
I did receive very religious message lately, with questions about the religious related topic, and a link which they thought I would like. I had to answer, I can’t fully comment her questions, because I don’t know about that religion. She answered back, being very sorry and embarrassed, and she had thought I am religious based on what she had seen me write here (earlier obviously, not today).
She even offered to send another card.
We then discussed what made her think so, it was some sentences I wrote here, that were also almost phrases in Bible :smile: so now I think my English is very old fashioned (like language in Finnish bible is). I’m happy I commented (I even thought will it sound rude), because if I just had written “thanks for the card”, I didn’t get to know she thought she wrote me a so personally meant card.

Maybe I did not express myself well enough in my post above because I don’t believe I am off topic and that my post should be removed?

My point was simply, I would never send a card to someone with a motive on the front or write about the topic they prefer to discuss, whether it be about spiders or babies or politics or god.
I used the example of spiders since many people have a phobia of them and also understand that others are afraid of them. Not everyone understands how traumatic religion is hence my usage of a different and perhaps more relatable topic (spiders).

I think it’s simply being self-aware and being aware of others and their feelings. Some people unfortunstely doesn’t possess that ability. I try not to get too offend though since people technically can send nearly anything they want.
But, I also understand being frustrated or offended at certain cards and messages.
Ergo: just respect people and their wishes including the message, not just the postcard photo.

I ask for the last time that you do not talk about the problem with the card without ID - there is nothing new there and we are just going around in circles.
If the card has been reported to the support, they will take care of it.

And please stop talking off-topic, because we have enough other topics where your themes fits in.

You are shooing away users who seriously want to report on problems here, and when users (have to) ignore or mute other users, we are not happy about it and it is not what we want here.

2 Likes

I personally don’t mind if the topic wanders a little, I think sometimes you need to step off to get a better view :slight_smile: but as earlier my post about getting a pro-vegan postcard, that to me felt very “religion-like”, was removed as off topic, so I thought this is strictly religion or politics. It is strange if other members can write about other topics and I can’t.

Now I don’t know if other topics are allowed here?
Only religion and politics (this is a little hard to decide what is, and to me the vegan preaching goes into politics).

Is this topic only if the religion or politics theme is a problem?

( ->I think then the title maybe needs change, I thought it’s ok to mention if such cards are ok and what type, like the op does. And if this is only reporting problems (problematic religion and politic themed messages), then definitely merge this thread with the what I linked earlier (Things on postcards that you did not enjoy reading.) Now it’s two negative toned threads about messages, maybe one is enough :slight_smile: (hopefully!))

The answer is no. The person who start this discussion is wanting to discuss about receiving cards with political or religious messages written on them.

This is not the place to go off-topic. It’s better to stick to the said subjects or you create a new thread and discuss whatever topics you find interesting since you have found so many new ideas from going nearly off-topic here.

1 Like

Yes. It was yesterday. Not political but a little bit religious. There were a few sentences about buddhism and the person wished me good things and hopefully peace in the world. And there was a quote to that topic. So for me it was ok. I’m not very religious, but I think it’s really ok to share the own feelings about religion, as long as the writer stays polite with his words. And I think the same about political topics. (But I hope this will be rare at Postcrossing, because for me there are so many other things to write about, that are more interesting.)

2 Likes

And this is off topic too, there is a thread about do members read the profiles or not:

Like Bille wrote:

So this is not the thread to talk about should one read the profile or not and what kind of persons do read and what not.

I just noticed sorting my cards yesterday, I haven’t even thought I get a lot of political messages lately, especially from the USA, congratulating about our NATO membership, before that about hoping we get to be members, and how they are sure we will be part of NATO etc.

I think, it is likely to get a political toned messaged when there is some happening like this, and also especially if it’s related to the sender country and receiver country.

(Mostly I’m surprised that I think all messages are assuming all Finns were hoping to be in the NATO, while there are people who don’t want that.)

Just wondering: why do you find it disgusting? Do you feel offended?
For religious people, I think it is a way to share positive vibes, don’t you think? Or are these types of postcards usually followed by not-so-nice messages?

I’ve got a Stalin propaganda postcard from a Russian member and was shocked. The man was a monster and also killed many Russians… Why do people send such a card, I don’t get it.
I’ve contacted the Support and did not register it.

1 Like

Could it be because you list ‘Rulers of the World’ in your wishes?

15 Likes

Exactly my thoughts.

5 Likes