Hard to Please?

It doesn’t mean that that’s the only ones you want to get. It for many people shows the kind of cards you like, not that you want specifically those cards that you’ve favourited.

But I still think your comment was unnecessarily rude.

9 Likes

Well, not exactly. Possibly not via the official site (though I received a lot of the cards I marked as favorites).
But there are tons of community games, like RR, in every language section and a lot of RR have the rule “send a card of profile list / favorites”.

So keep in mind that a lot of those wishlist help the participiants of the RR to chose the right card.

And for most of the users listing preferences doesn’t mean that they Do not want to receive other cards. Infact I (and I know I’m not the only one) received as many other wonderful cards I didn’t know so far and I love them nevertheless a lot.

2 Likes

It’s so true. :slight_smile: I received so many wonderful cards myself. Now, also my mum loves Postcrossing, becsuse she is amazed by all the beautiful cards I get. :slight_smile:
Postcrossing has just an amazing lovely and likeable community.

6 Likes

I’ve been on Postcrossing for about a decade now, and while I’ve pulled the addresses of a few “picky” members over the years, I think my last requested address is probably the most demanding yet. The list of postcards that “upset” her include city views, nature, animals, and maps (in addition to the other usual advertising, multi-view, etc., along with some other more specific themes). I have a stash of probably 1000+ blank postcards and I think I maybe had two that fit her very specific wishlist? I sent her one of those (that was - at least in my opinion - an ugly card that I’ve been waiting forever to get rid of, so I guess that’s an upside), but I can see how it’d be super discouraging for a new Postcrosser, especially since she specifically said that it “upsets” her to receive cards not on her wishlist.

9 Likes

That is a reason to report that user to the staff, for this is very demanding!

6 Likes

Over time, a few people have suggested on this topic that perhaps it would be a good idea to introduce a note somewhere to reassure members (especially newbies) that they can always send their recipients whichever postcards they like or have available regardless of what is written in a profile.

I’m still not too fond of this idea… but, since we haven’t found a better one, we’re giving it a try. The notice will show to new members on their first sent postcards, and then periodically to older members as well, both on the traveling postcard page and on the email with the address information.

Let’s see how it goes!

41 Likes

While I understand having some reservations about the idea, and it’s an experiment anyway, I do love the first sentence of the message, about connecting and not collecting. It should not only speak to newbies that are worried what they are sending is not good enough but, hopefully, also to those who are here to collect. Of course it’s great if they get stuff for their collection too, but that is not the primary goal. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

7 Likes

Personally, I use the “favorites” as a wish list. I never click “favorite” on a card I received. I have already thanked the sender and told them why I like the card they sent. While of course I know I will never receive all the cards on my favorites, I actually have received quite a few, along with similar ones. I am always extra grateful when someone does send me one of these cards.

7 Likes

I found this note underneath one of the addresses which I drew yesterday - I quite like it. Even if I of course am very aware that one doesn’t have to fullfill the member’s wishes, it’s good to be reminded of it “officially”. And I guess that new members will like it even more, as soon as they see their first “intimidating” wishlist with items they no have no idea what they are.

14 Likes

Today I am asked not to send postcards depicting the city, nature and animals, handmade postcards, photographs, postcards not 10 by 15. I’m confused! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Then just send them a blank postcard. Then they can draw, or paste, whatever they want on it. Certainly they can’t complain after you’ve sent them a card with such (literally) infinite possibilities.

17 Likes

I wanted to offer you a postcard with a stone but then I remembered it is a photograph :joy:

6 Likes

It shows a poor understanding of how we live - no city anywhere near me ! A few villages lol. I’ve found the best source of local cards are vintage/ebay bulk by county for a few pounds. Good luck and no worrying about people’s eccentricities

1 Like

Exactly lol lists of cards series we’ve never heard of with no description :rofl:

Agree on this one. I buy stuff I don’t like at all because I know others do. I’m just here to try and match stuff up to their wishes. Wherever possible. But this demanding person… I’d send them whatever’s at the “bottom” of my pile— meaning the one I’ve passed over many times. Lots of handwriting, etc. hahah

5 Likes

Just wanted to add that I’m puzzled by recipients who get offended if they receive a card of a place that shows a location other than the sender’s home town. Where in the rules does it say we are required to send pictures only of the town where we are resident? Nowhere, that’s where XD Every so often I send a card of a place elsewhere in my country that is famous (e.g. Niagara Falls), or a place that I’ve visited, or perhaps a card of a place I haven’t been to but would like to go. Why not? I get bored reciting the same factoids about my home town, and surely it’s just as interesting (perhaps more so) to hear about other, possibly more unusual places than my decidedly mainstream Canadian city. I have some wonderful cards of Japan, Nepal, Ireland, etc. and since many people rarely if ever get postcards from Postcrossers there, surely it’s nice to get a card from someone who has at least visited? But it sounds like some recipients think it’s “cheating”. (Luckily, none of my recipients has objected - yet!)

9 Likes

I never thought someone would get offended when getting a card from another than sender’s country or place. But for me again, this is the easiest wish to understand, I too like cards from where the sender is. But of course I’ve gotten cards from where they are not. I’m not offended by them. (I especially liked one that the sender bought here in Finland, and sent it then to me, because it felt like the card travelled and came back. In my happiness I didn’t realise maybe they tried to be clever and “misunderstand” and send a card of the place of my origin… :laughing:).

And even if I only would send cards of my city, I would not write the same facts to each card. Sometimes I can write what book I am reading or write about what the receiver wants to know.

I don’t remember now if I still have a mention about this in my profile.
But, it is written like “please send viewcards from the country of origin”. Very clear to me.
Of course somones want to nitpick about that, and I got card from place X and “clever” misunderstandings about that wish :grinning: like “sorry this card is printed in China, and I can’t travel there just to send this card to you”. Yep, that’s what I meant.

Also often there are wishes who specifically want a card from UK, Ireland, Japan, Paris etc no matter where the sender is, so I keep my “wrong country” cards to them mostly.

4 Likes

I just got a profile where the person expects the card to be written in their language.
It started as a request (something about bad handwriting and not being able to understand) but then they say they do this for others so they expect the cards to be written in their language.

I’m not gonna write much as it is a different script. If the request was worded politely, I would have put in more effort.

3 Likes

That’s totally unrealistic. They’re more or less saying they’re not going to accept your card before it arrives. I know it’s easy for me to say as a native English speaker, but they don’t really understand the ethos of Postcrossing, do they?

4 Likes

Indeed, this doesn’t seem right. We’ll poke the person about it and gently guide them in a better direction!

9 Likes