Hard to Please?

Exactly. That’s why I shamelessly send out my cards from other countries unless the profile asks me not to (I respect that!).

Why shamelessly? You should not have that feeling though.

Exactly, I refuse to adapt others standards I don’t agree with. I even have on my profile that people can send me cards from their holidays if they want. :grin:

5 Likes

That’s actually an awesome idea :smiley:

1 Like

I wouldn’t like a site wide rating system to be implemented. I think that would bring to much pressure to create a ‘perfect’ profile, which for me is not the point of Postcrossing and I think would discourage a lot of people.

That being said… Maybe a thread where people can ask for tips to improve their profile if they want to?
You would not be bound to that advise, like in a side wide rating, but it would be nice to have the option to know what others think?
I would personally like it if some of you gave my profile a look over and maybe gave me some tips for adding/changing? Say if it is ‘too demanding’ or not? (I don’t think so myself, but from reading this thread I’ve leaned that opinions on wishlist’s vary wildly)

#pleaseratemyprofile! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Guess it shows I’m new to the forum :crazy_face:

Edit: I made a post in that thread :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand what you are saying

I think, you totally missed the point, sorry. We are not here to just swap some cards, but to send cards to total strangers with some cheerful or interesting text and to get such cards from other strangers and to connect a bit in this way. And @Loqi suggested to have a thread in this forum, where everybody voluntarily can have his/her profile checked and commented by others to see if it is too demanding or can be improved somehow - voluntarily!

3 Likes

Great thread!

For me the most upsetting profiles are those who obviously collect postcards. So there is very long list of topics for collection, with links for albums for each topic and link to the album with favourites, and recommendation to check albums before sending to avoid duplicates (imagine how much time it could take, if several hundreds postcards in each album). And sometimes these profiles have no word about themselves, even not “hello”, just list of topics. It’s typical for people who participated a lot in round robins, I would say. I still want to send something they might like, but at the same time feel kind of used by such people just as an instrument to add to their collection, as it is obviously their only goal for postcrossing.
I understand and agree with advices above to take it easy and just send a postcard, and to be honest do not have any suggestions what to do with such profiles, and even do not really understand is it against the rules or not.

9 Likes

I think in the old forum there was discussion about this, (the persons with only wishlists and nothing about themselves), and it was told to report them.

So, if one has a wishlist, they must tell something about themselves.
Also, the profile can be empty, it’s ok, but when there are wishes, it can’t be “empty” about yourself, because clearly the person is able to write then.

But, good thing is, very very rarely, if never, I see a profile with only wishlists :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In official postcrossing - yes, but in round robins (those where you need to match not one special topic but user preferences) the probability to meet such profile is quite high.

If it’s their Postcrossing profile you’re writing about, you still can report it, to get it more friendly and nicer to send a card to, right? Even if they only use it for RR’s and such. Or, maybe I’m not fully understanding?

Right, it is still their postcrossing profile, so I think next time I will consider reporting it, thank you for clarification!

I feel really deflated. I received a wonderful card, absolutely attuned to my profile. I sent an enthusiastic message back, including some stuff about how much I love postcrossing. And then I had a reply saying I hadn’t read her card (because I hadn’t answered a - to me - rather general question in the message). This has ben troubling me for days and has really soured PC for me. I feel like giving up for a while. I can’t see how I could have been nicer.

3 Likes

Please don’t give it another moment’s thought. Really and truly, you can’t please everyone and there are bound to be downs as well as ups. As time goes on, you’ll find the good experiences far outweigh the bad.

7 Likes

Sorry to hear that. But for every negative comment there are 100s of good ones. That one person doesn’t represent the majority. Once you have a lovely person respond, s/he will overshadow the negative one.

We don’t know people’s circumstances nor can we control what they say… but as long as you wrote something with good intentions let that be the thought you keep with you.

Hope you feel a little better by writing your thoughts.
Best,
~ Maria

2 Likes

No one can make an assumption of someone not reading a card, if they don’t answer the question.
There are possibilities that for example you didn’t understand the question, you thought it was a rhetorical question, the message was blurred, hand writing was unclear, you didn’t want to answer it or simply forgot.

You don’t have to be nicer. The other person needs.

2 Likes

This is not possible. You can only upload the image while the card is traveling.
Once it arrived, only the receiver can upload the image.

3 Likes

To me it seems like you only referred to the picture side and that might have disappointed the sender. There is also a text side.

But everybody is free to make his own decision, how to answer to text side.