Handwritten Postcards

I love writing, the flow of ink to paper is something that I enjoy very much. However, while I was writing out a note at work, my coworker stated that “cursive” is outdated and I should print.
Then I thought about my postcards that I sent to various countries, now I’m concerned my handwriting, though in English, may be difficult to read.
So, do you write or print on your postcards? :mailbox:

1 Like

Cursive, or handwriting, is not outdated, that is a misconception.

I handwrite most cards, but do print (i.e., separate the letters, not join them up) when I’m sending a postcard to an Asian country, sometimes. It’s really up to you.

3 Likes

How snotty. Did he say that because he failed learning to write/read cursive? Here in Germany it’s not outdated at all. Most children in primary school still learn to write in cursive. And no one complains if one writes in cursive or print on one’s postcards. Or use a cross between both. The only problem is when someone’s handwriting is a terrible scrawl. Irrespective of how one writes.

4 Likes

I actually think cursive might be hard to understand for people with different writing systems and alphabets so I make an effort not to write in cursive when I send to these countries (even though sometimes I might forget because it’s so natural to me too)

4 Likes

In addition to your question being placed here there is also a Thread about cursive handwriting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t write in cursive, and I have terrible handwriting, so I try to print as neatly as I can. But I tend to write pretty tiny and am often in danger of running out of space on the card, so I pity those who get my cards. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah yes, handwriting to me is cursive :slight_smile: I find it very difficult to pick the pen up between each letter :sweat_smile:

I prefer to write in cursive, but I don’t have a lovely script! I have a friend with a beautiful “hand” and it is wonderful to reread her cards. On Postcrossing, I stick to print, but add finesse with color coordinated Ink Joy Ballpoint pens.

2 Likes

I have received cards with a printed and pasted typed message. It was due to the sender having arthritis and difficulty writing. Her message was personalized and lengthy and perfect.
I’d much rather receive a typed out message and both enjoy the fun exchange and connection, than knowing someone felt they couldn’t participate in being part of Postcrossing.
I hope you would feel welcomed either way you decide to send your cards.
Happy postcard adventures. :grinning:

10 Likes

I always write despite my ugly handwriting.I just print addresses in different alphabets

1 Like

I like being able to write longer messages/letters. I was absolutely giddy when I pulled an address with a, “If possible, please use envelope”
It allowed for a more lengthy letter, added stickers, stamps and of course the postcard.

2 Likes

So after years of seeing this conversation on the forum, that picture finally clarifies what people mean. I couldn’t understand “writing in print”, as not native speaker of English it didn’t even make sense😄
I was never taught print, only cursive and capitals. I was shocked when I first heard that cursive isn’t a thing anymore, mainly from Americans. I think the “do you write or print” question is very American, though I guess it seems to resonate to others, but to me “print” doesn’t exist because I didn’t know it was a thing. I suppose my handwriting has moved to a cursive that has elements of print, but I still thought it was cursive, even when I see it on postcards I receive, because it is not capitals and those were the only two categories in my mind until a few minutes ago :rofl:

Lately, I write most postcards in capitals because I realised I can squeeze in more words :rofl:

5 Likes

Here in the USA, younger generations aren’t taught cursive so much anymore, I tend to use what is called cursive print, which is a combination, a style I guess, I just wish I could write smaller and neater, but due to a nerve issue in my hands, it isn’t as good as it use to be. I use to love to doodle and write so postcrossing us quite fun for me

A few month later you probably figured Out already… but to whom it May be of interest to collect more opinions…

A few Times i got cards with Messages handwritten - that i could simply Not make Out. That’s sad!

Once i Got an official Card with a large piece of paper glued to The writing Side. Computer writing. At First i thought it was lazy…but actually i Got so much more to read. As it was written smaller.

Maybe For explaining it is Not Ment lazy…you could add one Line about that… As you have sooo much more space The Computer written way…

2 Likes

My handwriting isn’t very good these days so I print all my cards. I want people to understand what I’m writing :wink:

1 Like

I am pleased that you see various reasons why people are gluing typed messages . It could be anything, poor eye sight, physical disability, but not lazy.
I received a card from someone who had an accident.,So her dog typed a message for her. In return, my dog then thanked her dog for the postcard. That was fun! :dog::poodle::paw_prints:

5 Likes

I was so amused by this because my signature apparently looks NOTHING like my actual name and I get all sorts of things in hooray messages too!

In Italian schools they teach writing in cursive (or, at least, they did when I attended it. I hope they still do), so I mainly write on my letters and postcards.

I use to print (separete the letters) if I write to young children or to people in countries that use a different alphabeth, since my text may be easier to understand that way

1 Like