Handwriting/Penmanship/Calligraphy

I had a calligraphy, so I didn’t think about it.
Everyone overseas is also interested in calligraphy!
I was very happy.

This was a thank-you note from my friend’s calligraphy teacher.
He is writing with a brush pen.

Thank you. is what it reads.

7 Likes

@irishjayhawk are you enjoying your new fountain pen? Were you able to repair it?
Would love to hear how your experiences are so far!

I ended up buying two1940s Waterman pens on eBay. One was completely restored–except I need to glue the clip back on. The glue the previous restorer apparently wasn’t strong enough and it came off when clipping the pen to my journal.

The other I sent off to a professional restorer because it needed more work than I was comfortable doing myself. It will be another month or so before it comes back to me. I used it as a dip pen for a few weeks before sending it off for repair. I can’t wait to be able to fill the sac with ink and write for pages and pages!

I also have a Pilot Metropolitan, but the weight just isn’t balanced compared to the vintage pensfor me. Of course, it is a completely acceptable pen with the piston converter upgrade, but it just missing some refinement.

3 Likes

I hope everyone here is feeling well. I almost always write my messages on the back of the postcards I send in cursive (calligraphy). If you are starting out, I highly recommend using inks, nibs and stationary that is very forgiving. A simple India ink, a good Japanese manga nib (like a Zebra G or Nikko G) and simple, 28lb (105g/m) laser printer paper will do fine. To prepare the nib (you are correct; they do place oil on it to protect from rust) I just pass it above a flame for approximately 3-5 seconds, then wipe it off with a clean napkin.

Happy Postcrossing!

6 Likes

There’s a cool exhibit opening September 9 at the Newberry Library in Chicago that apparently takes a look at the last five hundred years in the history of handwriting.

A Show of Hands: Handwriting in the Age of Print | Newberry

2 Likes