Handmade... Is this really a postcard?

They are beyond awesome!

2 Likes

Selfmade postcards are lovely!!! They’re creative!!! I love them so much!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! Some people really like them, especially children. In fact, I started doing them after I bought a special cutting machine as a birthday present for my younger daughter :grinning: But are they really postcards? Especially when people expect something else completely. I am not sure myself.

They look amazing and so well-made! You shouldn’t hesitate send them if you want to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! You are very kind. I came upon so many profiles that explicitly ask not to send them hand-made cards it made me doubt if anyone would really want them. Not many people know, perhaps, that art shops actually sell high-quality and quite expensive watercolour paper cut in the size of a regular postcard with printed address lines on the other side. Very convenient if you want to draw a card yourself.

2 Likes

I thought so at first, too, but the more cards I send the more postcrossers I meet who are actually quite fond of handmade cards and even send them out themselves! :slight_smile:

You might want to have look here where you’re very welcome to join! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do they have a “blank” side to write on, attach the stamp + put the address? Then they’re postcards! And they are beautiful!

4 Likes

You are right. And I was just getting my rubber stamps out to decorate an envelope :blush:The truth is, I haven’t done a handmade postcard for a year. It seems that postcrossing will push me into it again​:blush:

3 Likes

I received a 21cm x 21cm painting today in the post. The sender writes that it’s not really a postcard, it’s a painting. I’m quite disappointed with it. I’m happy to receive hand made cards but if you are making it yourself at least make it postcard sized.

I even ask for smaller cards only because I haven’t got a way to store or display the thing. :roll_eyes:

Your profile says only that you don’t want “large” cards, maybe you should be more specific, but you have so many received my guess is you won’t seriously stress if only one or two are a bit, well…out of bounds.

(and I hope someday that artist draws my address…I try to make my cards A6 or close to, because otherwise I have to pay extra (sometimes a lot extra) to send them. For exactly that reason, I love receiving anything that DeutschePost won’t let me send.)

5 Likes

Yes I think I’ll live! It is truly gigantic though and hasn’t traveled well due to the size either.

I would be over the moon to receive one
They really are stunning
What do you cover the flowers in to survive the post

1 Like

These are STUNNING :heart_eyes:

These are beautiful too

Thanks, that’s really kind of you!

1 Like

Really? I would be honoured and thrilled to receive a handmade card. The fact that someone took the time to make it for me, to be creative on my behalf. I would be happy to make them for others too, but I can see that it doesn’t appeal to everyone. I guess it’s best if people indicate their preference either way.

I don’t mind handmade cards. I agree with several folks on this topic that someone took the time to create a card and that card was gifted to me. So I thank them very much. In reality, out of all my postcards, the ones I send out, the most favored are my homemade ones where I took a photo I’d taken and clued it to a piece of heavy stock paper. I also love cemetery art postcards, but there doesn’t seem to be much out there to purchase, so I create my own with pictures of cemetery art I’ve taken over the years. What types of cards do you like and wish were readily available?

1 Like

I would personally love to receive a handmade card (I’m pretty new here and only ever received one post card as of now.) I have so far made all of my post cards homemade where I make the art on bristle board and add a laminate over the top so the card will be more secure and waterproofed at least on one side. So technically home made but still a durable postcard.

1 Like

I hope I don’t sound too arogant in my honesty, that I myself as an artist are not too keen on receiving handmade cards, because most of them are not what I would send out.
When I first came here, I was totally shocked, that in so many “abouts” I have read “no handmade cards”. But now I deeply understand this. Most of the cards that people sent out are really not artful at all.

Sometimes I wish there would be a place here for just swap cards made by artists. But this seems too exclusive. (And of course there are other places online to swap ATCs…)

3 Likes

@LaWendeltreppe I can totally see you point and would probably feel the same if I had the talent and skills of a real artist.
Failing that I am very happy to have found a corner on the postcrossing forum where non-artists like myself can exchange handmade cards. I enjoy this and I’ve learned so much since joining the Handmade RR, I wouldn’t want to miss it in my life anymore! And even though most of my cards are rather simple and nothing one would call “art” it makes me very happy to exchange them with like-minded people - it’s like therapy for my soul sometimes! :slight_smile:

5 Likes