Gotochi Cards Considered as Postcards?

I understand you. Just because an item went through mail, it doesn’t make it postcard.
This is why I don’t advise you to send it without envelope.

I suggest, if you want to send a Gotochi card, use envelope.
And only send Gotochi card to one who mentions liking them. Then they accept it as postcard, even when it’s not by Japanese standards.

In this thread, I am talking about whether Gotochi cards should be considered as postcards, but not what troubles/confuses me.
In fact, I can read the postal rules and definitions in Japanese language, so the Japanese standard never confuses me.

I am just curious. You said “Because shaped cards are widely produced, and sent all over the world.”, so shaped cards should be considered as postcards.
However, this cannot be a reason. Folded cards are also widely produced, and sent all over the world, but you do not consider them as postcards.
That is to say, “widely produced, and sent all over the world” is not a standard to determine whether a card is a postcard.

Thank you for your advice. Of course I send Gotochi cards in envelope.

I am just confused in other threads.
They say folded cards are not postcards because folded cards need to be sent in envelopes.
But here, as for Gotochi cards which need to be sent in envelopes, people say that Gotochi cards are postcards because they are not folded.
This is repetition of arguments, or just find the convenient reasons.

Therefore, here comes the question: what is the clear definition of a postcard.
What makes a folded card not a postcard, and makes a Gotochi card a postcard.
I think the definition should not include any exceptions, such as “not folded” of “in an envelope”, because it would be many convenient reasons to get rid of these exceptions.

Gotochi cards may be sent without envelope, even if not from Japan (by postal rules). Some countries allow sending shaped cards without an envelope and others do not. Folded cards are never meant to be sent without an envelope.

I have received many shaped cards without envelope, but never sent one as it is not allowed in Germany to send them without envelope. Square postcards are not considered postcards by our post (they need large letter rate instead of postcard rate), but that doesn’t make them a large letter… it’s still a postcard.

Postcards are single-sided / one-sided.

3 Likes

I am sorry, at least in Japan, Gotochi cards must be sent in an envelope.
So it may be correct to say. “Gotochi cards may be sent without envelope, if it is not sent from Japan (by postal rules)”

Well, that’s exactly what I meant. I got that point.

Definition of a postcard:

Postcards are mostly rectangular cards, usually made of cardboard, which are sent by post as openly readable messages

The writing on a folded card is on the inside.

The difference between folded cards and postcards is very clear. One of them has a fold in it. The other does not.

Postcards can be any shape or size, but some must be sent in envelopes and larger ones will cost more to post.

I am honestly struggling to see what the issue is, and repeat my suggestion that you simply do not buy or send them because they seem to be of concern to you.

5 Likes

The post service has an official definition of postcards that postcards should be rectangular, why bother to create a new definition to tell postcards can be in any shapes?

What concerns me is not whether buy/send Gotochi cards, but people are just using convenient reasons to tell whether a cards is a postcard, but not give a definition.

We have seen two reason until now:

• Whether the card is sent in an envelope.
  • Whether the card is folded.

Under the background that the first reason already has an exception, I think an exception for the second reason will come soon and make folded cards also postcards.

Well, if I like, I can fold the figure side inside, and make the message outside.
I will not do that, but I think there are means to satisfy your definition.

You need to distinguish between defintion for postcard suitable for postcard rate (definition by post services around the world, that vary greatly from country to country - so there is a different definition for each country! Some don’t even have specific postage rates but only standard letters that include postcards) and the product of a postcard.

Say you have a standard size postcard, rectangular, card board… you write on it and go to your post office to mail it: They see it’s a postcard and sell you a stamp for postcard rate.

If you take the same postcard, write on it, put it in envelope for protection and then go to your post office to mail it: They see a letter and sell a letter rate stamp to you. But the product within the envelope still is a postcard.

5 Likes

Totally understood.

What you mean is that no matter what the definition of the post service is, once you think it is a postcard, then it is a postcard.

There are quite a few definitions for the product of a postcard already mentioned in this topic. A banana will never be a postcard, just because I think it’s a postcard :wink: One of them being postcards are single-sided (most often nowadays with a picture on the front and space for writing on the back).

2 Likes

I know there are some definitions in this thread.
But each has some problem, making folded card satisfy the requirement of postcard, or make Gotochi card not satisfy the requirements of postcard.

A definition cannot be so casual or convenient. It should be clear enough without exceptions. If not, anything can have an excuse of being a postcard.

I am sorry, but Gotochi cards can absolutely be sent without envelope in Japan.
As yourself has stated here:

It cannot be sent without envelope only in the case it is sent overseas.
I have traded many gotochi cards within Japan. People sent without envelopes (or inside them if it’s agreed for better care).
If gotochi was not meant to be sent without an envelope within Japan, it would not have a place for stamp behind it.

3 Likes

Sure. That’s why I am talking about sending outside Japan.
I can also send a leaf without an envelope within Japan, but cannot send a leaf outside Japan,

I can go to Japan and buy Gotochi and then send them from Portugal. I wouldn’t need an envelope, according to portuguese post rules, so Gotochi are postcards here. If Gotochi are postcards here they’re postcards in every country even if from Japan or Germany they need to be sent in an envelope.
Folded cards in the other hand can’t be send without envelopes anywhere (from what I know, correct me if I’m wrong), so they aren’t postcards.

I really don’t understand what the problem is, but as others suggested, if you feel uncomfortable, just send other cards :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions. In fact, I am not uncomfortable with cards, but just confused with definition of postcard here.

There is not a clear definition of what is a postcard. Current definitions have exceptions to make folded card as postcard, and make Gotochi cards as non-postcard.

That’s what I think is needed to make out.

Then I think I misunderstood your sentence below, sorry.

The definition of postcards might be a bit loose worldwide and what is meant to be a postcard in Japan or overseas might be different. Postcrossing is a global website, so they probably try to grasp around what is the most common parameter, and since it’s the website rules, we should probably go by them instead of strict local definitions. But if people state in their profile “I want to receive gotochi/folded cards/used stamps/tea/stickers”, that is their choice to accept it or not. But in case there’s nothing about it in their profile, the sender should consider sending the website’s definition of a postcard, as common sense and empathy.

5 Likes

I am afraid this will be an endless discussion…

Back to my afternoon coffee :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

4 Likes

Good opinion. I totally agree with you.
As many members regard Gotochi cards as postcards and regard folded cards as non-postcards, I think it is necessary to have a clear definition about what is a postcard, making Gotochi cards as postcards and folded cards as non-postcards, while there are no exceptions in it.

1 Like