General Meetup Discussions

Hi Meike! It looks good! Iā€™m sure Vicki will soon add it to the calendar. :slight_smile: Good luck for your meeting!

Hello,
please change the state at the Crottendorf Meetup in Saxony.
Thank you

Germany, Saxony not Germany, Bavaria

For information of members when listing a meeting put the state/province as well please so that there is no confusion as to which area the town is in.

Vicki

1 Like

How long will it take for my meet up to show on the map? I havent hosted since 2019 but I made a forum post on monday and its still not showing; not sure if im missing anything for it to show up. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Buzel

But you should definitely add the address of the library :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a meet up in my area. How Dow I go about that?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Pam2014 :slightly_smiling_face:

Best way is to look at the MeetUp Calendar on the mainpage.
In addition, there are always Meetups in USA that have not yet been added to the calendar, so you should look to them too.

How long will it take till it gets pinned on the map?

1 Like

It depends, as it has to be checked and added manually.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Aberdeen WA Meet up February 17th 2024 (In honor of Kurt Cobain)

I am interested in coming to this, but I canā€™t confirm yet if I will be able to go as it takes place on my fiancĆ©eā€™s birthday. I hope you all have fun either way.

Hi @paganpenguin and welcome to the forum! Youā€™ve posted in the general meetup disussion thread, but I assume you meant to post in the thead for a specific meetup, maybe one in the USA section? The person whoā€™s hosting the meetup isnā€™t likely to see it here in this thread, so I recommend finding the correct meetup thread and post there.

Question for meetup hosts. Did you hire a designer to make your meet postcards? I want the meet to be doable for me financially. I am not sure if someone needs to be paid 200+ for designing a card. Or another suggestion is that I pay for a venue. Could former/future hosts help with suggestions. Would appreciate greatly.

My posts in this thread on the following dates should help you out:

May 2021
July 2021
May 2022

I have hosted numerous face-to-face meet ups and have not yet had to pay for a venue. If the group is relatively small most restaurants seem to be ok with it as long as folks purchase some food/drinks. The last one I co-hosted in Philadelphia had ~ 22 attendees and we all had lunch as a part of the meet-up.

Iā€™ve designed and printed all of my own cards for all of the meet-us Iā€™ve hosted, both face-to-face and virtual. Clunky but workable is to import all your elements into PowerPoint and then screen cap the result once you have it all laid out. Photo editing programs like Pixelmator on the Mac work well also, and give better control with a somewhat steeper learning curve. Printing services like Vistaprint (as one example) also allow you to do some design/editing online. It never occurred to me to hire a graphic artist, I just went after it. I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with executing whatever concept youā€™ve got i mind.

1 Like

I would not. This recent thread might give you some inspiration. Once you start, it is surprisingly easy!

1 Like

I didnā€™t answer this question.

Weā€™ve had meet ups in community rooms at libraries/town halls. There is usually a small fee (eg $10 an hour), which everyone kicked in a couple of dollars to cover.

But we now mostly meet in a food hall in an office building. We probably got very lucky finding this spot - it is open on the weekend, but very quiet, so no one minds us using a few tables.

2 Likes

If there are pictures in the meeting post that are not approved by the administrator, how to deal with them?

If a card has not been approved, then it may not be used as designed - either at the Meetup or later. It must be changed so that it complies with the Logo Guidelines.

But the meeting had already taken place, and I was there to see the wrong cards being printed and distributed.