General Meetup Discussions

So I assume participants mail the postcards immediately after the meetups. Or is this the responsibility of the coordinator?
I am thinking of coordinating a meetup next year on Oahu in Hawaii. I want to do it right and I’ve never attended a meetup myself.
Thank you for the quick response.

3 Likes

Each participant sends their cards as soon as possible after they’re written.
In rare cases, the cards are gathered and handed over to the postal service by one dedicated person. But in most cases, everyone are in charge of sending their own cards.

1 Like

Thank you for the information.

Hi everyone,

I just posted a new meeting I’m hosting in the restaurant of a holiday park (where I also rented a cottage for that week) …
And I’m wondering if the following is OK to do:
I noticed that there were several (active) postcrossers in that particular village & a few nearby villages / small towns.
Would it be OK to send those active postcrossers a PM letting them know there is a postcrossing meeting in their area? Like an invitation or a notification.
I would probalby write something like this -

Hi / hello / goodmorning [insert name postcrosser]
I noticed you are still (somewhat) active on the (official) postcrossing site and I wanted to let you know there is an interesting postcrossing meeting nearby.
Are you interested in joining this meeting? If so, please go to this forum post [Insert forum thread] and let me (and the other postcrossers) know you want to come.
If you are not interested - no hard feelings and you can ignore this PB.
Kind regards,
[my name]

I just wanted to get some imput before contacting these members. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If I were to receive that message I’d be fine with it. I’d likely join you depending on how I felt about the viral threat. I wouldn’t send it more than once though. One and done.

5 Likes

Hi, I miss “my” meeting in the Meetup list. It is found in Meetups Germany and also in the calender but it is not seen in the list (under the world map). Have I forgotten something to do?
11 February 2023 - Meetup in Leipzig - Meetups / Germany - Postcrossing Community

A Meet-up is not listed automatically, but @mundoo first checks whether all the details are present and everything is correct and then adds it into the list.
Please be patient - she has a lot to do.

2 Likes

There are several reasons why your meeting is not on the calendar yet.
The main one being priority is given to the meetings that are happening sooner (current month for example) rather than the later ones (think next month). Meetings for January are being added each day by members, many with only a couple of days/hours notice!
I am working my way though the lists, I am adding January ones first (after checking) and have started to check and process early next months ones.
I will get to your meeting. It is in my queue.
The volume of entries is relentless and all must be checked for completeness.
All valid and complete meetings are added to the calendar as time permits.
Your meeting will be added well before the date when checked.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

Hi! How can I find out if there is a post crossing meet up near me? I have found it before (in Plano, Texas) but cannot find anything now. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Take a look here:

Meetups are self organizing so you could set one up if you know some folks who live close to you who might come.

1 Like

Also on the main page is a good overview Meet up calender

2 Likes

This is what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Also keep in mind, ANYONE and I mean anyone can do a meetup. In your house in a church basement in a library community room, in a park, at a table at a coffeehouse, in a restaurant, out in the open in front of a monument.
Meetups are informal. Look at the calendar. People meeting here and there. Some have themes, others not. Its all about being creative. It is so broad there is no one rule other than, provide enough ample time to let others be aware of the meetup, provide the exact place and time. Also dont put the postcrossing logo on a blue or red background if a meetup card is drawn up.

Dont see a meetup in your area. You could always travel to a meetup, but also start your own.

4 Likes

How to find easily if in a specific town in Germany a meetup is planned or has taken place already in 2022 or earlier?

@Herkenbe :de:

Meetups Germany

You can also check the meetup calendar on the main page.
There is a drop-down menu above the map that allows you to select Germany specifically.

1 Like

Thanj you, but is is not a sorted list by date and also 2021 2020 is not evolved. Why? Or how to …?
Beate

meetup calendar

This list is sorted by date and at the bottom in the archive you find past MeetUps.
If you click on the links in the list, you will be directed to the corresponding topic in the forum.

Also if I use TOP selection, there is a mixture of dates . NonArchive link is seen at the bottom. Or elsewhere on that page.