Flag frustrations šŸ’”

This is partly why I use the British flag too.

For me, the flags just help me know where you are, I donā€™t take it to mean anything about users beyond that.

6 Likes

No any flags for me.
It is a pity that it is impossible to put the flag of the planet Earth and the Milky Way galaxy.
One well known Swedish visionary Kjell Nordstrƶm said that in 50 years there will be no states at all, the structure of our society will change beyond recognition.
I will just be 100 years old.

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting to read how much thought you give to whether you put your national flag next to your user name or not.
I have the German flag next to my username simply for ā€œidentificationā€ purposes so that people know immediately where Iā€™m from when they tag me or see my name in a RR group.
And in the same way do I look at the flags next to other usersā€™ names - itā€™s just a way for me to place them somewhere on this planet. :wink:

11 Likes

I chose the Austrian flag because thatā€™s where I live. If I moved to another country, Iā€™d choose that flag. It doesnā€™t have any deeper meaning to me. I donā€™t judge anybody by their countryā€™s flag either. Itā€™s just an indication of location (and the postage Iā€™d need to pay) and probably a language being spoken. Thatā€™s it.

14 Likes

I hear you. Iā€™ve never been a flag-waving kind of a person, and I felt very strange pinning a flag next to my name. It can be so much of a political statement in the US these days.

But then I thought about how I do appreciate seeing the little flags here in the forum and seeing where people come from. Itā€™s not as if it tells you very much about someone, but sometimes itā€™s a handy bit of context, and itā€™s a nice visual reminder that weā€™re in an international community.

13 Likes

a half / half flag would be great!

I also use the flag because of my location.

2 Likes

I am with the many other members; I wanted to have the flag to show my location in easy way, so if I am doing trades or so then people know right away how much postage they will possibly pay and if they need custom declarations and so on. I did briefly consider EU flag but EU is quite large area so I decided to go with Sweden instead. And I think it is fun to see where other members live as there are many places I have visited and many I have heard about or know people from so it is fun to see something ā€œfamiliarā€ that way. Makes trading easier too when you donā€™t need to go clicking the profile or ask to know to where you would be sending.

Using flag doesnā€™t really have that strong nationalism feelings connected for me, it is commonly not waved around ā€œjust becauseā€ but often used to show if there is birthday (or any other party) in the house, and as Christmas tree decoration, and some people like to have small flag next to their door (especially at summer homes to show that they are there). And during summer the city nearby has flags on the poles along the bridge and my village puts small flags at the only road we have (Nordics plus anybody from other countries get their country of originā€™s flag near their house if they want) that is just such a nice ā€œsummer is hereā€ sign for me.

This actually reminded me about this one time I talked with one friend about how I am worried to see some racist groups to use the national flag, and she said it pretty well: ā€œso we should use the flag too. To show it is one for all of us. For everybody here. If we stop using the flag because they are using it, then we will lose it and that should not be allowed to happen. The flag is for all of us, everybody here.ā€ And after that talk I have had no worries about using the flag, although it is not my style to just wave it around. It goes out when we have celebrations :slight_smile:

If we were allowed to have more than one flag I would probably add Finland, because I was born there and still am a citizen there, and then EU for the EU solidarity.

19 Likes

clearly my last post containing a sentence about capital storming struck a nerve with some people.

Anywaysā€¦

Hereā€™s what I wrote about why I dont display a flag on my profile. Iā€™m Spanish but Iā€™ve lived in the US a long time. I dont display either flag neither of Spain nor the U.S. on my profile only because I donā€™t know how to set the setting to display the flag. Second if I did, I wouldnā€™t know which one to display. If I set the Spanish flag, for when I use the Spanish EspaƱol Language portal, people would think Iā€™m in Spain, which I havenā€™t been in a long time. If I used the American flag, then theyā€™d probably think Iā€™m only English speaking.

Basically I donā€™t know how to.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for posting your thoughts on this; I really enjoyed reading your perspectives. :heart:

Unfortunately, this topic has been flagged as inappropriate. Iā€™m not sure whether itā€™s advisable to tag a moderator to take a lookā€“should I?

It seems that many people, as I expected, use their country flag for location purposes only. I admit, it is convenient to know at a glance from where a person is joining us! Sadly, as @Janewt said, displaying an American flag can be a political statement right now, rather than a simple geographic one. :broken_heart:

I was going to tag individually, but there were so many responses with which I fully agree that it would be silly to do so. My current sentiment aligns with what @Kompis-Ninnaā€™s friend said:

Extremist groups have already co-opted several symbols, words, and gestures, some of which were previously harmless. As complicated as my feelings are about this, I feel somewhat compelled to keep using my countryā€™s flag so that it does not become yet another symbol of hatred.

Iā€™m sending a big, virtual group hugā€“thank you again for your kind and thoughtful words. :heart:

9 Likes

Itā€™s not cultural for me. I use it as an indicator where people (for examples those who tag me here in the forum) would sent cards to, ā€œpostal geographyā€ if you want to call it that way.

3 Likes

The reason I donā€™t have a flag is because I donā€™t know how to set it, but as others have alluded to there are also other considerations.

Both the union flag and the St Georgeā€™s cross have been hijacked by the far right in recent years, and while in no way wanting to suggest that everyone who displays one is a fascist, I donā€™t want to be mistaken for one either!

The other option is to display the flag of Europe, but given the UKā€™s withdrawal from the EU that too could be seen as a political statement.

The fact that it might be a political statement I agree with is immaterial (I think our withdrawal from the EU is a travesty). Iā€™m here for the postcrossing.

6 Likes

I believe that postcrossing should be outside of politics or any other beliefs. It doesnā€™t matter what country people are from, what their religious or personal beliefs are. We are here to exchange postcards, find new friends or just have fun thatā€™s all

9 Likes

I also use it for location only. I even tried to find a state flag to use in my profile as well. If I had the choice, Iā€™d much prefer to put the NM state flag up. Plus, itā€™s so much cooler! lol

1 Like

For me it would be artificial to exclude something that is on my mind.

9 Likes

The guidelines do not generally prohibit political discussions.
Politics belongs to and influences our lives, and of course there is a need to talk, and where else do you have the opportunity to exchange ideas with people from many different countries?
So far, people have been respectful of each other in this topic and I think this is a requirement for it.
Of course, there will be users who disagree with the opinions of other users, but there are different opinions in every topic, which you donā€™t have to agree with, but which you should accept.

5 Likes

You donā€™t understand me. I believe that you can not treat a particular person only on the basis of what country he was born or lives in, on the basis of his religious or any other beliefs, precisely because people have every right to do so, and you need to treat these factors with respect. Thatā€™s why I speak outside politics and other beliefs. Not because you canā€™t talk about it.

6 Likes

Iā€™m pleased to see that this topic has the moderatorā€™s stamp of approval! :wink: I was a bit worried that the discussion could become heated, given that someone flagged the topic, but once again, Iā€™m pleased to see how understanding and considerate Postcrossers are! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yes, I am a moderator, but I am only giving my personal opinion here.
I cannot speak for the other moderators and certainly not for the admins.
But I am also very pleased that there are no heated discussions here, but a calm communication.

4 Likes

I have been trying to put the Irish plag next to my username & it wonā€™t allow me :sob:

Oh, no! I assume youā€™ve tried these steps?

Otherwise, I would report this in the Help! section. Good luck! :blush: