Favorite Postcard Books

I haven’t actually read it, but I absolutely love the Twitter account. Basically features funny & moving messages on the back of old postcards, very good! http://postcardfromthepast.co.uk/

3 Likes

I love how you said “accidentally” :rofl:

1 Like

My favorite postcard book is Miniature Life by creative miniatures photographer Tatsuya Tanaka. He always builds lovely scenes with mini figures and everyday items, like food, tableware, stationery… even toilet paper. I really adore those fantastic artworks :slight_smile:

24 Likes

I don’t have this one, but I’m considering ordering it:

Possibly along with the Group of Seven postcard book that they carry as well. I just got a bunch of new Postal Happy!! and Canada Post postcards though, so I feel like I probably shouldn’t get any more until I’ve sent out some of the ones I already have.
4 Likes

Just received this charming and very good quality postcard book: Storybook Frogs by LaughingElephant.com

These are fun, funny, ridiculously cute postcards from my favorite vintage-reprint company.

3 Likes

This is a terrible temptation. I had promised myself not to buy any more postcards. This book looks fabulous, and is available online, and I’m SO tempted…

Threads like this should be banned :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I ordered it.

3 Likes

These are the postcard books I’ve acquired recently. They’re all good. Apart from the two from the National Trust, which my sister in law got for me, I got the rest online from second hand book retailers.

6 Likes

I have a question… do people send their postcard-book postcards with the perforations left as is? Or do you use an Xacto knife to trim off the rough edge?

Re: the topic, I don’t know if it’s my favourite, but I recently found an unused postcard book of Edward Gorey’s (“Gorey Children”) in a local charity shop. I’m so happy – I love Edward Gorey!

6 Likes

That’s a great collection! I love the look of the illustrated maps one on the RHS. I wish we had maps like that for Canberra. I have not found any yet.

1 Like

Yes, we’re very lucky that we can buy these map postcards at any National Trust property. I might very well buy more than one of these.

1 Like

I use a guillotine to remove the perforations. And I have occasionally removed them from incoming cards too. Not very often though.

2 Likes

I have a paper cutter and trim off the perforations

1 Like

I have a papercutter that I use to even up the perforated end, or I’ll carefully trim with scissors.

2 Likes

I don’t remember where it was - I think maybe on a blog post? :thinking: - but I saw a comment that mentioned using an emery board nail file to sand the perforations away. I tried it out & I’ve been happy with the results!

4 Likes

That’s a solution I hadn’t heard of before! Thanks for sharing it, I’ll have to try it out too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have postcard books, but I kind of like getting the card with the edge as it is, so I think I’d send them like that.

My favourite would be this of Lee Tanner’s photography:

2 Likes

I was in my local bookshop today, and saw this postcard book offering. Having had quite some difficulty sourcing Australian-themed Christmas postcards this year, I was elated to read the title!

But as I leafed through, I was thinking to myself…is it Christmas, or is it a crime-scene? :eyes:

I bought it…how could I not? It is as Australian as it gets. But I have no idea who will receive these postcards. I love them…but it’s going to require some careful explanation I think, and a special sort of profile, before I can send these beauties out!!! :crazy_face:

16 Likes

My books:

My personal favourites must be Darth Vader and Son and Love is the New Black. For the art ones, I would prefer Mucha and Jugendstil. Gama-Go is fun too.

5 Likes

I actually picked up a Gorey postcard book from a museum type online store. It would be great to find one at a thrift shop. That book I am keeping for myself lol.

1 Like