Expired Postcards

Hello! I have around 4 expired postcards, and I just don’t like seeing them on my list. Should I message the sender to register them or should I re-send the cards?
Thank you for the help!

3 Likes

I recall worrying about this as well @hrechka when a new Postcrosser, but no longer.
Some cards expire at the 60 days because of great travel distances, postal service challenges, and then suddenly, they are registered. Some just don’t arrive (there are little postcard-eating monsters hiding in some post offices).
A recipient shouldn’t be asked to register a card that they haven’t received.
No need to re-send the card; it might face a similar fate. Plus, [EDIT] you can request a new address as soon as the 60-day expiry limit comes up.
It is unfortunate that some cards expire permanently.
If you don’t like seeing the expired cards on your “Traveling” page, deselect “Include expired postcards” and POOF! they vanish.

6 Likes

Sorry that happened to you, but I would not send another card. There could be a variety of reasons why the postcards weren’t registered. At this point, you just have to move on.

8 Likes

Hi. There’s a forum topic already devoted to Expired Cards, with so many thoughts and opinions shared there. Perhaps an @admin can move your post there too.

Here’s the link:

3 Likes

Here is my 2 cents, i dont like seeing them on the list either. I resend.

1 Like

@hrechka @jennyjennyjenn If it is only seeing the expired postcards on the list what bothers you, you can untick this box and they won’t show!

5 Likes

It’s worth sending a message! I have several, Russia and china :frowning: At the cost of stamps it upsets me that no one has benefitted when a card expires. So when mine hit that mark, I drop the user a message, just to see if maybe the card has arrived and perhaps they’ve been unable to register it. Of the 3 I have, 2 users haven’t been online for WEEKS, but one was regularly checking in, and so far she’s the only one who replied - turns out she HAD received it (we exchanged emails about what the card looked like and the colour ink i’d used), but couldn’t read the code because it had been franked over, so then she asked me for the code to register it. I’ve since learnt a lot about where to place these codes (and to do it twice!) in my short postcrossing life haha :slight_smile: But yes, always worth dropping a message, as you never know, it could be there but unreadable :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Other than Poland, have the rest been registering cards all this time?

I have had good luck with re-sending a second card only in cases where they have been registering other cards since I sent mine. If they haven’t registered anything since the card was sent, leave it alone.

4 Likes

I am a newbie, so a question to our seasonal postcrossing members:
Currently I have 10 travelling postcards; 4 under 40 days and 6 over 60 days. I have been handwriting the address onto the postcards… Do you think my postcards would arrive earlier if the address was printed and tape on the postcard?

I only do that for addesses in Chinese. Unless your handwriting is below average, not necessary.

6 over 60, even from Australia, seems awfully slow? Have these folks been registering other cards, but not yours? Or, have they been registering nothing since your card was sent?

2 Likes

Of the 6 … 1 is inactive for 2 months, 2 inactive over 1 month. The other three are active… 1 last registered a card in mid March and the other 2 on the 13th of April. I print my addresses and is readable considering my other postcards are received. I was so frustrated…I even showed the post officer if the way I addressed it is correct or not. Not sure why so slow consideringI live in the city and send from the General post office.

2 Likes

The three long-term inactives are bad luck on your part, leave them alone and move on (unless they start registering again later). The rest seem a bit slow, but will likely arrive.

4 Likes

I would advise members never to send a second card at all, because some may think, “If I don’t register this one, they’ll send me another one.”

9 Likes

I think that is a rare possibility, along the lines of the (few) reported cases of members who have been reported to admit to not registering unwanted or disliked cards. I would rather have the “slot credit” even if they were hoping for something ‘better’ next time.

6 Likes

I once had a case - I asked the recipient if she had seen the ID postcard of such and such, the postcard depicted this and that… Because it was the last few days, before a year passes and the unregistered postcard disappears from the system. At first, the addressee said that such a postcard had not arrived, but a day later - registered and admitted - “It is something familiar…” (it was not some indifferent landscape that you can’t remember, it was an animal hissing furiously).
So sometimes a reminder is useful. I have sent the second card a couple of times, but in general it is too expensive for me. And some may not register for that very reason, because then they will receive a second card.

4 Likes

Why don’t the post crossing itself register a card which expires after 90 days

1 Like

That’s not how it works. Only with accounts that are closed, any cards traveling from that account are automatically registered.

1 Like

What for? Only postcards that actually reach the recipient are registered and that is perfectly fine. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

5 Likes

Sometimes cards travel longer time than that.
I would not like having a card on my received wall or received list, if I didn’t receive it in truth.

Neither would I like to see something in my sent, if the receiver didn’t get it.

I don’t know how it would work even, and think what complaints it would cause?
Would the receiver get for example: “Surprise! A card to you has travelled over 90 days, so the Postcrossing team registered it. You will see it on your received list, and you still might get it later, but can’t register it anymore.”

That would be so confusing.

8 Likes