Expired Postcards

I have to ask … are they all actively registering other cards, just not yours?

1 Like

@Johnk60 The one from Japan just registered a card yesterday and the members from Serbia and Taiwan haven’t registered anything since early may :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

This would be definitely high above average for me. I can tell you one positive thing though - it seems noting is getting lost on the way to you. You are not receiving any postcards because you are not supposed to receive any at the moment (16 of your sent postcards have been registered and you did receive 16 postcards). Once more of your sent cards are registered, you will start receiving again.

4 Likes

Thanks for this positive perspective!

It’s taken 61 days for a postcard to arrive from Canada to China and I just noticed that it’s expired what happens after this can the person still register it once they receive it it’s too bad it takes that long

Yes, they can register it up to a year after you sent it.

3 Likes

Postcards can be registered up to a year (365 days travelling), so your card still has over 300 days left :slightly_smiling_face:

Post to China takes some time to arrive sometimes, I wouldn’t worry much yet.

2 Likes

I haven’t received mails since October 2022, and at the moment I’m not allowed to draw official addresses due to high number of cards to me have gone expired

I’m wondering, let’s say those expired cards will finally arrive after 365 days of travelling, which means I can’t register them anymore

Does this mean I can’t send official cards in the future? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just cards, or no mail at all? What has the post office advised you about it?

Cards that were sent to me around October 2022 to January 2023, I never received them. Both official and from forum activities

The first envelope I received was sent from Russia in February 2023, I received it after 2 months. I received one card but it was domestic, sent from neighbouring city

People in post office I’ve interacted with simply said, “If you didn’t get anything that’s because we have nothing to deliver” :upside_down_face: – which makes sense too. They have no idea

I used to get mails & cards from the same postman. The last cards I received were delivered by different postmen. I just heard that postman now isn’t getting paid for delivering mails & cards that are sent by using stamps :skull: , it connects the dot of why I always received registered mails because postmen are paid for it (and I have to pay administration fee too :joy:)

Some Indonesian postcrossers had this problems, some of them started to receive their cards & mails, but some haven’t received anything

8 Likes

Thats sad.
Any local options such as a PO Box and collecting post from the office ?

Yes, P.O Box is a possible option. It exists at certain post office (big ones usually). I could rent a P.O but there’s no guarantee that my postponed cards will be delivered there, although I’m pretty sure I will be getting cards again if I rent P.O box in central post office

Unfortunately, renting P.O box may fix my issue but not the delivery issue in our postal system :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m trying to engage in direct swap this month, I hope this time there’s no issue

2 Likes

Oh no, hope they arrive soon!

2 Likes

I heard a rumor… Yes, I really believe it is just a rumor. That rumor says:
“If you have over 10 expired cards, you can’t draw address anymore being suspected you didn’t send cards actually.”

I searched the words of “expired card” on FAQ page but couldn’t confirm that the rumor was true.

As many postcrosser writes the record of over 10 expired cards so “can”t anymore” must be wrong. But have they “banned” for a while?

Let me know if you had over 10 expired cards and what happened to you then.

Expired cards are not blame to the ones who send the cards but maybe the persons in charge of delivery, such as the post office. Nevertheless, it is unreasonable to sanction the persons who sent the card.

3 Likes

It’s not true
Last month I had 12 expired cards and I can request 10 addresses (5 addresses on 23 June and 5 more on 25 June)

5 Likes

I think it’s based on many factors (how many cards you have successfully sent, how many of your traveling cards are not registered, were your expired cards sent on the same day and only to certain country, etc.). So everyone’s number is different and you don’t know for sure when your account will get suspended.

If it happens, you can ask the admins what the problem is and if it’s not your fault (e.g. your recipients are all inactive) they will probably lift the block. I have read an old discussion before where one user had problems with the postal service so the admins adviced the user to contact their local postal service first or wait until the service goes back to normal.

5 Likes

It’s definitely not that simplistic. At a minimum it depends on how many cards you are sending, where the expired cards were going, and what else is happening in your country’s post, and in the recipients country.
If a lot of your cards are expiring, it’s worth trying to work out whether there could be an issue in your post (a box that is not being collected etc) and checking that all the recipients are active (maybe try sending a repeat card if it’s an active person in a country that normally has good mail links). But don’t assume that you will be blocked from sending.

I’ve had more than 10 cards expired recently (mixed countries but China and Russia covered 6 or 7 of these) and I’m still sending cards normally. Some have since dropped off at more than 1 year, and some have reached their destination.

2 Likes

Not so. Currently have 17 expired cars and 46 available draws. I believe thealgorithm is much more complex than what you describe.

7 Likes

I think the idea is that some people might get addresses but never send, so they will all be expired, so they are blocked from getting many addresses.
But like others have said, it depends on your activity. If 0 of your sent cards where registered and 10 expire (so you send 10 and they all expire), it’s likely that there is a problem. But if you are active then it won’t matter (with different combinations, depending on the situation). I have never been blocked, and I often had 10-12 expired (and I only send 8-10 cards per month so it’s not like people sending 100 per month)

4 Likes

I’m not sure about this, but I think how it works is that at 365 days they will drop off the system entirely, meaning they will no longer count against you as “expired” and you will be able to start over with a clean slate.

7 Likes