Expired Postcards

Well… I’m from Sweden, a scandinavian country and I agree the post is slower these days with the pandemy going on. I had 5 cards expired, but two of them reached their destination after being expired, so now I have 3 expired. One to USA, one to Russia and one to the Philippines. One card to Russia was travelling for 174 days. It was a little bit funny, cause it was first returned to me… but I resent it and it reached the destination.

I have a card to Germany which has been travelling for 40 days now. The user has been online a few times after, but not registered any cards. That is very annoying! A card usually takes maximum 7 days to Germany from here. That will probably expire.

All in all. It takes much longer than usually. But it has improved since april may when it was superslow!

How does one find out if a postcard intended for you expires? Does Postcrossing alert the receiver? Is that why some people list their expired cards on their profile?

In my case I meant that most of the postcards I received this year had delays over 60 days, therefore, expired - but I could register all when they finally arrived. I only knew they had expired when I got them and saw the date.

No. At least, not that I know.

I think those expired cards listed are cards sent by those people that didn’t reach the receiver yet.

1 Like

Thank you, that makes sense! I’m new to Postcrossing so still learning the ropes :slight_smile:

If the postcard can arrive at the destination instantly when it is sent, is “receiving/sending postcards” still romantic?

If it is sent, it is guaranteed to arrive. Then, is “receiving/sending postcards” still fascinating?

The fun and risk of “receiving/sending postcards” exist at the same time, and the two are interdependent and complement each other.

You cannot choose one of them.

This is part of the game, enjoy it!

7 Likes

I never resend. I sometimes write the member, if he/she is active if he/she don’t recall the postcard I sent. I am scanning all the postcards, so I know what I sent. Sometimes it is can be missed out in a batch. But once she sent she haven’t got such card. I was sad as it was indeed very nice one. And I had no troubles with deliveries to Finland! CZ-1687003 found the way after 142 days, while I sent two cards later, and those were delivered earlier. I am glad it reached the destination!

So, don’t lose hope, maybe they will be registered in very late time, but will be. Worse is, if it is not active member anymore. Those make me sad.

1 Like

You see it on the travelling cards. When they’ve travelled for over 60 days they get expired.

3 Likes

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! I’m still figuring out the site so your help is much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello, I received today a card from Indonesia, as I was trying to register it, I recieved the message that the card traveled over 1 year and could no longer be registered (posted 14/10/2019). Nevertheless I wanted to know if there is a way to regeister it or let the sender know it finally arrived after such a long journey?
Does anybody know something about this? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, you can contact the Postcrossing team via Contact on the website. They can tell you the member’s username and then you can thank them via PN.

1 Like

I have almost 50 expired. A bunch went missing before mailing them. If those arrive I drop down by numbers.

I received a postcard with on the picture side printed the image of an enlarged red inkstamp ‘EXPIRED’. Probably much fun to sent this. Not to receive…

I asked the P-team to have a look at abandoned children accounts. I did sent some PM’s but no response.

What is your opinion about abandoned children accounts?

Is there a difference between abandoned accounts of children and those of adults?

1 Like

It is the responsebility. For both catagories adults are responsible.
Children account
Adult accounts

But the parents do not take responsebility. Did the child really signed up with parental permission?

The fact is that I hate (am not so keen) such parents. If after a year the children get back, sent out one card, they can harvest cards due again (and forget to register).

Did you never notice any difference?

No. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Thank you for your help, I shall try that.
Have a nice evening.

It’s not about my expired postcards, but those sent to me but not arrived and expired ones.

Sometimes I get messages asking me to register an expired postcard. I usually just ignore these messages, or report them to the Support if the message is impolite to an extent etc.

Though those messages stating “I register expired postcards, so you have to do the same and register my postcard!” can always get to my nerve, especially when it’s from an experienced postcrosser.

Just like the one implies “I don’t care your rule, I register expired postcards so I ask you to register it.” which I received from a postcrosser with 8 years’ experience some hours ago. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: Is it just me or does anybody feel the way that I feel?

4 Likes

Okay, I first thought you talk about don’t registering expired cards you receive - that would be off-standard.

But now I think you talk about messages asking for registration without receiving. That, in my eyes, you can easily ignore. In fact, postcrossing does not want users to register cards without really receiving them.
Maybe you could develop a standard answer. Mine goes like ‘thank you for your inquiry, but I will register cards only when they really find my home. Let’s hope the journey will come to a successful end soon’.

And all the users that claim ‘but I do it, so you should do’ … well, they are wrong. So stick to your way and don’t take them serious. And if they are really impolite, report them to support, just as you already do.

4 Likes

Ouch, my English…:scream: Thanks for letting me know this! I’ve added “not arrived” into the sentence, hopefully it makes more sense now.

I used to have a standard reply like yours. But soon I found that being polite will only result me even more “register my card” messages to deal with. And earlier this year I even got spammed on Instagram with many swear words, just to get me register a card that I never received. So I settled for just ignore such messages.

I did report the one I received to the Support. (Well I just asked if the Support can remind this postcrosser of the rules.) I’m just frustrated that I’m still annoyed by this “I do this so you should do the same” kind of message. :confused: Well, never should’ve taken it serious… :confused:

2 Likes

That’s really rude, creepy and against the rules! I’m sorry you met such a boor :worried:

Luckily I haven’t received such requests yet, despite I’m from a “slow” country. Actually I receive most postcards in reasonable time. But my outgoing cards travel sooooo slow :disappointed:

I don’t feel like resending or writing an e-mail. Some of my long-time expired postcards reached their destination, it was a pleasant surprise (and a bit hilarious, I wrote about winter, and now winter is coming again). I have little hope that the rest of the expired postcards will be registered. It they’re lost, then so be it.

I’m shocked that even experienced postcrossers do not respect the rules.
I’m okay if someone risks to register unreceived postcards, but they can’t ask others to do the same. Actually, due to my mediocre English, I may have misunderstood the rules:

Never register a postcard that hasn’t arrived yet; if you see requests otherwise, please report it to us!

They say that such senders’ demands must be reported, but doesn’t say that offers of not-yet-recipients must be reported. At start I was thinking to write an offer in my profile but then I realized that it will provoke senders to break the rules! Anyway, it’s no good.