Expired Postcards

But if you still have the issue when the card reaches 62 days of travel you should contact the admins. It could be a bug.

If a postcard never arrives to me, do I get another person drawing my address after 60 days? Or do I have to wait a full year before getting drawn again? thank you!

1 Like

https://www.postcrossing.com/help/what-are-expired-postcards

I believe this means your address is given again at 60 days.

1 Like

So if I get drawn again, but the other expired postcard arrives after a long time, I would get to register both and would jus have a “higher” received postcards count, basically?

Yes, it happens sometimes. But if you keep sending, it balances out again.

2 Likes

Yes, you can register a card you receive even if it has expired, up to one year after it has been sent. After one year the card drops off the system and can’t be registered any more.

It is quite normal for many members to sometimes have more cards received than they have sent. If that’s the case, their address will not be given to another member until more of their sent cards are registered.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t remain with the higher received count for long, because the system won’t give out your address on your next registered card, but on the one after it.

(That’s the theory, the system does sometimes give out addresses more than once, as discussed elsewhere, and the system is more unbalanced than usual due to the pandemic).

5 Likes

I really do believe people do this. I have noticed several times where a person has a list of specific topics, I choose a postcard that fits that topic… The postcard is not registered and the recipient removes that topic from their wishlist. It happened twice recently where both users changed their profile info and one has in big capital letters not to send her specific cards. Seems too coincidental.

People who set up accounts and then just stop are my biggest irritation. I just drew the address of a guy who hasn’t registered a postcard since Dec. 2020. If my card goes missing and the recipient is active I don’t have any problem with re-sending.

My card to ghostcrosser was automatically registred by postcrossing.
The account was closed. Can I say hurrayyy…?

Maybe he Was inactive due to moving etc? Postcrossing will only give you the address of someone who was active in the last 30 days.

1 Like

Do you reckon we’re still getting impacted? I joined in December and my cards are taking forever. I’ve got two expired and two to Asia that look like they’ll expire too. I’m so surprised how long it has taken to get to Asia from Australia. It’s sucking the fun out of doing this, hence why I did a lottery the other week. Might have to do another one. Or maybe change my options to select sending/receiving cards to my own country.

These are my travelling cards at the moment.

I’m having same issue with Australia post. I sent a card to a friend which took 4 months. Received one in postcrossing which arrived after almost 3 months… So i think, maybe the key to australia <> asia exchange is to be patient and hope for the best :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Looks like you’ve used sort of fountain pen, have you? Maybe it was water-soluble.
It might have been very bad luck, the card gotten wet, and address is unreadable.
I have received a card where my address is written with dry ink pen, and the message with water soluble pen, and I can’t read anything from the message, but the address is still good.
Therefore, I always try to write at least the address with water proof pen. (Even though the mail normally is not openly in the weather, but something can happen.)

I feel so sorry for you, the card looks really cool!

1 Like

Absolutely still being impacted. Prior to COVID I rarely had an expired postcard. Since COVID I always have at least a few expired at any one time. Postcards seem to be taking generally longer to arrive anywhere in the world from Australia and it seems they arrive in countries in bunches. For example all of a sudden a group of postcards will arrive in Germany or the USA.

Thank you for your Idea. It’s written with two fountain pens :writing_hand:, that is true! I will keep your Tipp in mind. Thank you for your lovely words about my card. :slightly_smiling_face:

Due to this covid situation, I think that all postcards sent since the end of 2019 should have at 2 years to be registered.

3 Likes

If you use a fountain pen
Use either waterproof ink or wait till the ink and wax it over

1 Like

Awwww, great advice! I will try the wax tipp for sure! :bulb: :astonished: @hexyr , thank you so much.

For the life of me I can’t think of the name of a product they make that works like wax. But I find wax works just as well and cheaper

I also use any water proof ink that is not Noodlers