Expired Postcards

I asked the P-team to have a look at abandoned children accounts. I did sent some PM’s but no response.

What is your opinion about abandoned children accounts?

Is there a difference between abandoned accounts of children and those of adults?

1 Like

It is the responsebility. For both catagories adults are responsible.
Children account
Adult accounts

But the parents do not take responsebility. Did the child really signed up with parental permission?

The fact is that I hate (am not so keen) such parents. If after a year the children get back, sent out one card, they can harvest cards due again (and forget to register).

Did you never notice any difference?

No. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Thank you for your help, I shall try that.
Have a nice evening.

It’s not about my expired postcards, but those sent to me but not arrived and expired ones.

Sometimes I get messages asking me to register an expired postcard. I usually just ignore these messages, or report them to the Support if the message is impolite to an extent etc.

Though those messages stating “I register expired postcards, so you have to do the same and register my postcard!” can always get to my nerve, especially when it’s from an experienced postcrosser.

Just like the one implies “I don’t care your rule, I register expired postcards so I ask you to register it.” which I received from a postcrosser with 8 years’ experience some hours ago. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: Is it just me or does anybody feel the way that I feel?

4 Likes

Okay, I first thought you talk about don’t registering expired cards you receive - that would be off-standard.

But now I think you talk about messages asking for registration without receiving. That, in my eyes, you can easily ignore. In fact, postcrossing does not want users to register cards without really receiving them.
Maybe you could develop a standard answer. Mine goes like ‘thank you for your inquiry, but I will register cards only when they really find my home. Let’s hope the journey will come to a successful end soon’.

And all the users that claim ‘but I do it, so you should do’ … well, they are wrong. So stick to your way and don’t take them serious. And if they are really impolite, report them to support, just as you already do.

4 Likes

Ouch, my English…:scream: Thanks for letting me know this! I’ve added “not arrived” into the sentence, hopefully it makes more sense now.

I used to have a standard reply like yours. But soon I found that being polite will only result me even more “register my card” messages to deal with. And earlier this year I even got spammed on Instagram with many swear words, just to get me register a card that I never received. So I settled for just ignore such messages.

I did report the one I received to the Support. (Well I just asked if the Support can remind this postcrosser of the rules.) I’m just frustrated that I’m still annoyed by this “I do this so you should do the same” kind of message. :confused: Well, never should’ve taken it serious… :confused:

2 Likes

That’s really rude, creepy and against the rules! I’m sorry you met such a boor :worried:

Luckily I haven’t received such requests yet, despite I’m from a “slow” country. Actually I receive most postcards in reasonable time. But my outgoing cards travel sooooo slow :disappointed:

I don’t feel like resending or writing an e-mail. Some of my long-time expired postcards reached their destination, it was a pleasant surprise (and a bit hilarious, I wrote about winter, and now winter is coming again). I have little hope that the rest of the expired postcards will be registered. It they’re lost, then so be it.

I’m shocked that even experienced postcrossers do not respect the rules.
I’m okay if someone risks to register unreceived postcards, but they can’t ask others to do the same. Actually, due to my mediocre English, I may have misunderstood the rules:

Never register a postcard that hasn’t arrived yet; if you see requests otherwise, please report it to us!

They say that such senders’ demands must be reported, but doesn’t say that offers of not-yet-recipients must be reported. At start I was thinking to write an offer in my profile but then I realized that it will provoke senders to break the rules! Anyway, it’s no good.

My situation this year is opposite to yours: while the countries we can send to are quite limited, most of my sent cards arrived very fast (most of them arrived within 2 weeks, some even only took 1 week!). But my incoming cards tend to travel way longer before the covid. I guess this is why I got more “register my expired card” messages this year.
It is a little disappointing each time I found an empty mailbox, while there should be 40 or more postcards traveling to me. :disappointed:

The Support replied me and said that “asking a member to register an ID for a postcard they haven’t received is against the Postcrossing rules.”, and the Support is going to remind this postcrosser that “they shouldn’t be doing it for their account either”. So this does sound a little tricky. Perhaps it is not against the rules, but it will make others break the rule. So until your offer to register not-yet-received-but-expired cards are noticed or reported, you are safe? :thinking:

I think maybe some people have a good reason to suggest registering expired postcards (such as exceptionally unreliable local mail service). I saw one profile telling that their postman often puts their postcards in the neighbour’s mailbox and the neighbour is away for months.
I’m not sure if I would ask to register even in this situation.

That’s upsetting. I hope all these postcards will arrive soon.

2 Likes

One of my expired cards finally arrived at its destination today - US :us: to Finland :finland: in only 256 days.

8 Likes

This year I got a few of similar messages - due to a long strike most of the cards sent to me expired. I ignored most of them, but I remember one that was interesting “I don’t want you to register it if my card has not arrived yet, but in case I forgot to write the ID…” that one I made sure to answer and told them about the delay.

Anyway, after some time I got all the cards and registered each one. So I guess it’s ok to send people a message asking if they got your card, but only if you’re polite and don’t demand they do anything.

5 Likes

Tomorrow one of my card will be expired to a child account.
Her activity in postcrossing shows a weird pattern.
In 2018 she only registered card in January and May.
In 2019 she only registered card in May and all of these cards was sent in September 2018.
She came back in October 2020 and registered 4 cards. Now she is missing for more than 1 month. Maybe she will come back next year to register my card :rofl:

I have another card that I suspect will be expired also.
This card went to a member who has 9 sent and 3 received.
She joined PC in 2017. She sent 2 cards and registered 1 card in 2017.
She sent 3 cards and registered 2 cards in 2018.
She sent 3 cards and registered nothing in 2019.
She came back on November 2020 with 1 sent card and now missing again.
Do you think she will come back next year? I hope so :rofl:

3 Likes

I put my return address stickers on almost all of my postcards and they do make me feel a little safer for if the post office can’t deliver them, they will be sent back to me. The expired cards on my accounts now are mostly to people who haven’t logged in for months. :pensive:

However, a great news is that today after 137 days my card to Australia finally arrived. :partying_face:

5 Likes

I have a lot of expired cards to people who had long gaps in registering this year, then started registering again but all they registered were cards sent recently. I really suspect that a lot of cards were lost in the hottest days of the pandemic (I know it’s still bad in a lot of places but mail seems to have improved - slow, but at least it arrives).
I am wondering if all those cards will arrive all of a sudden after months and months.

1 Like

is there a link showing some kind of stats on the countries where postcards get more easily lost?

I thought my only expired card to Japan was lost out there somewhere. The user was active, and I sent it in June. The other day it was registered at 184 days! Suprisingly, all the cards I sent during Covid have now arrived, but travel times have been longer. For the first time in a long time, there are no cards in my expired list. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way for a while!

4 Likes

I know I read it somewhere, but now can’t find the info: does Postcrossing do anything about ghostcrossers after a certain period of absence?

Accounts are set inactive after 30 days of not logging in, if I remember correctly. I think they also write multiple emails to remember the member to log in!

1 Like