Expired Postcards

Yeah, I know about the code, usually a priority mail has it, but there is nothing except what is on the photo.

Most American stamps are sold with the word Forever on them, which can be used if the rate increases no matter that you paid less earlier. Small denomination stamps with numbers are still issued.

3 Likes

Oh, I realise my confusion with denomination stamps. Forever stamp in the USA is a bit similar to dollar denomination stamps in Ukraine: if it still costs 1$ to send a postcard abroad, no matter how much you paid before, even if the current hryvna/dollar exchange rate changed, you can still do it without adding additional stamps. It is like the price for delievery is not fixed in hryvnas, but is in dollars. But in the USA you have Forever stamps for domestic deliveries and people forget to add more stamps for sending abroad, right?

I think those people may not realize there are different domestic and international stamps. We have a Forever domestic postcard stamp that says POSTCARD on it (44¢), Forever domestic letter stamps (60¢), and International Forever stamps ($1.40) for both postcards and envelopes, same rate each outside USA.

3 Likes

Anyway these people are lucky to get their postcards received despite the lack of the paid sum, while some fully paid ones get lost.:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I want to share this link

… it inspires to have a more positive look on the chance & possibilities coming from expired cards! :smiley: :wink:

1 Like

Good news: After travelling 157 days this card finally arrived! :smiley:

This means, besides the one card I lost more than a year ago (to US), there are only 5 expired cards (2 China, 1 US, 1 Indonesia, 1 India) now travelling from my account :four_leaf_clover: Hopefully some will arrive in time too …

… but one card is already close to becoming expired (54 days to Russia).

So, whatever I’m posting about positive thinking, I still feel with all my cards on their journey. :wink: Looks like I’m still on my journey to more calmness considering expiring cards. :innocent:
But for now it’s as exciting as watching a race … :wink:

I’m trying to confirm that an expired received card does not count towards sender’s next slot, but a timely replacement card does instead?

In other words, 100 Sent including one expired means one more sent needed?

When a card expires, it no longer occupies a slot in your travelling cards and you may send another one. If that card gets registered later, there is no slot to be released. But all the registered cards count as sent, so if that expired card was your 100th registered card, the amount of cards you can have travelling increases by one.

4 Likes

I was on this website years ago, and none expired. During this return, I’ve had a few expire. My Russian card was actually returned to me, which I understand that one. In a few days, I’ll have 2 more expiring.
I understand the pandemic, but is this really why my cards are expiring?
When I see a profile that seems extra special, I try to do a really good job. I try for all actually, but an example is the card to Belarus I made is very special,
I was wondering if this is happening more now for everyone?

USPS suspended service to Russia, Belarus and China (source), that’s probably why you have expired postcards travelling there. USA postcrossers are not getting addresses to those countries at the moment (you can check postal monitor at the main postcrossing website to see all restrictions for USA). Germany is usually quick, but I also had one delivered there after 258 days, so don’t lose hope yet

3 Likes

I moved this topic to the matching category.

1 Like

Ok, thank you.

I knew about Russia and China. Thanks for letting me know about Belarus.

2 Likes

This is probably the worst year for mail delivery. This upsets me a lot.

2 Likes

I had a Belarus card that took about that much time, so yours might be registered soon.

1 Like

So far this year 3,75% of my sent postcards have expired, that’s a bit more than last year (3,15% in 2021), but less than in 2020 (4,17%).

It’s not fully comparable because this year I’m sending less cards (I often have free slots).

1 Like

I always had lots and lots of expired so I don’t find a lot of difference in recent times.

Wow! That is so few expired compared to how many you have travelling! And this is worse than usual for you? I wish I could do something to have so few! I usually have 8-10 expired and never more than 8-10 travelling with less than 60 days. So most of the time, at least 50% of my list is expired, usually more. And I had so many cards disappear after one year, like 3 of them in recent months and 2 more in the next month or so (members that abandoned the website so they will never be registered). It is sad.

6 Likes

Ohhh! I’m so sorry so many have expired for you. That is really sad.

Also, I want to thank everyone for the replies.
It’s sad that China is suspended on here temporarily, but I guess I understand why. Then work Belarus, I now understand. I hope some of your disappeared cards arrive for you

I guess that means other than those countries that there are known situations, I really only have one card that disappeared without a hint (because Germany typically arrived so quickly).

@xxxxyyyyzzzz, you brought up a good point. It’s pretty amazing thinking about the success rate.

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

I was curious about how people handle expired cards. In the case you receive a message from a postcrosser asking to register an expired card, would you do it? would you ask the other person if the situation was you had your card expired?

Thanks!