Expired Postcards

I only do that for addesses in Chinese. Unless your handwriting is below average, not necessary.

6 over 60, even from Australia, seems awfully slow? Have these folks been registering other cards, but not yours? Or, have they been registering nothing since your card was sent?

2 Likes

Of the 6 … 1 is inactive for 2 months, 2 inactive over 1 month. The other three are active… 1 last registered a card in mid March and the other 2 on the 13th of April. I print my addresses and is readable considering my other postcards are received. I was so frustrated…I even showed the post officer if the way I addressed it is correct or not. Not sure why so slow consideringI live in the city and send from the General post office.

2 Likes

The three long-term inactives are bad luck on your part, leave them alone and move on (unless they start registering again later). The rest seem a bit slow, but will likely arrive.

4 Likes

I would advise members never to send a second card at all, because some may think, “If I don’t register this one, they’ll send me another one.”

6 Likes

I think that is a rare possibility, along the lines of the (few) reported cases of members who have been reported to admit to not registering unwanted or disliked cards. I would rather have the “slot credit” even if they were hoping for something ‘better’ next time.

5 Likes

I once had a case - I asked the recipient if she had seen the ID postcard of such and such, the postcard depicted this and that… Because it was the last few days, before a year passes and the unregistered postcard disappears from the system. At first, the addressee said that such a postcard had not arrived, but a day later - registered and admitted - “It is something familiar…” (it was not some indifferent landscape that you can’t remember, it was an animal hissing furiously).
So sometimes a reminder is useful. I have sent the second card a couple of times, but in general it is too expensive for me. And some may not register for that very reason, because then they will receive a second card.

2 Likes

Why don’t the post crossing itself register a card which expires after 90 days

That’s not how it works. Only with accounts that are closed, any cards traveling from that account are automatically registered.

1 Like

What for? Only postcards that actually reach the recipient are registered and that is perfectly fine. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

5 Likes

Sometimes cards travel longer time than that.
I would not like having a card on my received wall or received list, if I didn’t receive it in truth.

Neither would I like to see something in my sent, if the receiver didn’t get it.

I don’t know how it would work even, and think what complaints it would cause?
Would the receiver get for example: “Surprise! A card to you has travelled over 90 days, so the Postcrossing team registered it. You will see it on your received list, and you still might get it later, but can’t register it anymore.”

That would be so confusing.

7 Likes

I wonder which countries the expired cards are travelling to? It does seem like you’ve been unlucky to have so many expired cards but if they are going to somewhere like China or South America (maybe India) I think there’s a reasonable chance that’s just the normal travelling time. Under 40 days is (unfortunately) nothing to worry about for Australia…

2 Likes

Touch wood , I have no problems sending to China, as I get mum to write address in Chinese. My problem countries is Brazil and Ukraine. I have 6 expired cards

India one month not logged in. Taiwan not logged on for 2 months. USA active and replied has not received my card. Belgium active, but has not registered any cards since March. Brazil active and did not reply to check if missed or not. Netherlands …not active… address is Netherlands but sending is China… so obviously person is not in Netherlands to receive and register postcards. In summary, I think probably only 2 are missing

4 Likes

It really seems like you’ve just been unlucky, unfortunately! I will say that mail from Aus to Belgium seems to be strangely slow (compared to its neighbouring countries). My official average is 52 days (based on 49 and 56 days) but I think two months is about normal based on private mail — I’d love to know why!

1 Like

You can contact the postcrossing team about that and they will have a look on it. I recently had a profile where the postcrosser had written that he’s not at home and don’t know when he’ll be back to register postcards. (It wasn’t there when I sent the postcard.) He was still sending postcards and so his address got out several times. I contacted the postcrossing team, they registered all cards travelling to him and set the profile inactive.

Same about the inactive profiles in case there is a large difference between sent and received. Had this with a chinese profile after they finally could receive postcards again. The postcrosser had a difference around 100 cards (or even more) and wasn’t active for more than 2 or 3 months. The postcrossing team registered all the cards travelling to this person.

It may take some time as they’ll try to contact the postcrosser first - maybe there’s a reason why no cards got registered (for example the user changed address and the cards were sent to the old address) and they can solve this together.

Most of the postcrossers I have expired cards travelling to are still active (except the two from the US):

BTW: I only contacted the person from Germany, but she replied that she didn’t receive it. So that’s the game.

4 Likes

I just checked and the difference btw sent and receive is only two. However looking at that person’s stat it looked like they spend time btw two countries. If they keep to same ‘routine’ they should be back mid year. Fingers and toes crossed.
Looking at your expired , I shouldn’t complain. Hope they get registered before they drop off. I take it you don’t send a 2nd postcard?

2 Likes

There is nothing that can be done with postcrossers who have not been logged on for a long time.
At the time you got the address they were active.
If the poscard arrived and the receiver does not register the postcard (for whatever reason), or the postcard has not yet arrived, nobody can tell (except for the receiver).

I have no idea how many of my postcards that never made it before it is out of the system (after 365 days).

I might contact the person from Poland, if not send a second card, as I’ve found their postal system reliable.

1 Like

That’s a good tip. I had someone like that in the past, except I didn’t know to check, and when he finally registered my card, he said he had returned from a long holiday abroad. If I remember correctly, it’s was at least three months, lol. And their regular country of residence is Germany, which is normally fast.

1 Like

Over time/hundreds of cards I’ve found very few get lost/remain unregistered. Keep trying - its amazing how robust the postal system worldwide is. Enjoy the ride x

4 Likes

I’m running about 1-2% as complete losses; 98% of cards have been registered.

2 Likes