People who haven't logged in for a long time

Well there are expired cards to people who have not logged in in month. That is frustrating indeed.
What I find even more frustrating is when there are cards traveling to people who log in regulary but who only register once a month or once every two month some I had even only registred every three month. Than there are the once who do not set their profile inactive for example when they have a postal address at the university were they live and then go home for a while. They still send postcards but obviously canā€™t register while they are away.

What I am trying to say is that I think it is difficult to deal with people who have not logged in in a while when there are so many other circumstances that people do not register cards but log in regulary.

BTW: The longer people wait to register cards to more I fear that they might forget to register a card when having so many cards to register at once.

8 Likes

Hi there!
I am pretty new to postcrossing but I collect postcards for over 25 years now. I was so happy to find this site.
Like I said I just started and my sendable cards are limited. 3 out of 6 cards are on the way since more than 30 days. I contacted one lady and she instantly excused postservices would be slow due to Covid, which is funny as she lives in a state close to my penfriends area and letters to him take about 2 weeks to arrive. I checked her profile again and she hasnā€™t been online since I sent my email. There should really be a button or rating system for these people. I also donā€™t understand why people collect received cards and register them like once a month.

3 Likes

Different states have been affected differently, and even within one state it can be different from place to place. Also Iā€™ve been told in some countries postcards arenā€™t the ā€œpriorityā€ so the letters move faster. I donā€™t know how true this is. But please donā€™t make any assumptions about anyone that I think Iā€™m reading.

But I agree, and itā€™s not an opinion, but in the guidelines, that postcards should be registered as soon as possible. I think it might be good idea to report a person, if it looks like they register the cards very rarely. They might not know or remember about the inactive function they can use.

I donā€™t see the need for rating system. But I can imagine someone would use it as, ā€œregister my card now or I will give you a bad ratingā€.

6 Likes

Yes. Iā€™ve had several expire under these circumstances. I also think they probably received my card but mislaid it before their next huge registering session.

2 Likes

I have 78 expired cards this very moment, ranging from travelling 60 days to 362 days.
About 30 of these go to people who didnā€™t check in during the last 2-11 months.
About ten go to newbies who have sent 1-11 cards, registered 0-3 cards.
A handful of cards of these might be registered still, according to past experience, either by the recipients themselves or through the administrators, because the account might be deleted by them. The vast majority will be lost.

11 Likes

Few days ago Iā€™ve got Hurray from postcrosser that register cards like thatā€¦ this person register 65 cards that day, on 10th May there were 34 cards, previous register day was at 18th April with almost 50 registered cards and so on. So 150 cards with different sending dated was register just at 3 days in 2 monthsā€¦ for me, itā€™s most annoying thing than lost in the way card - it looks like itā€™s more possible this ā€œrare-registerā€ person just will not register my card because itā€™s lost in tons of other cards rather than card was lost by postā€¦

12 Likes

Oh well, in this particular case, I checked her received wall and all cards from Germany took exactly 10 days. And they were all sent in April 2021. So, no, Covid delays do not count as an excuse. Also she hasnā€™t been online for 18 days.

Do not countā€¦? Maybe itā€™s the true reason, not an excuse.
Of course there are so many other reasons too. If some cards travel in 10 days, it doesnā€™t mean all travel in ten days. Quick random look to cards from DE to US gave travel times up to 31 days, sent in April 2021.

I donā€™t actually understand what you are even saying. Are you accusing this person of something (because it sounds like it)? That they got your card, and just refuse to register it? Why would they do so? If you think thereā€™s something wrong happening, you can contact the Postcrossing team, they can look it more closely, and see if others complained too.

6 Likes

Wow, just because any other cards arrived quick, IT must happen with every other card?? And in no way it could happen that there are still delays due to Covid? :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I did not think it could happen but I have an expired card to Germany and (at least ) one where I thought I could have walked there quicker and hand delivered it. A package of cards I sent in a giveaway also does not appear to have made it.
The thing with losses and delays over the past months is that to me they appear random.
I donā€™t assume that the recipients are doing something improper, just rejoice that any cards ever make it!
Thatā€™s the joy of Postcrossing for me -that this card i am touching contains greetings from someone hundreds or thousands of miles away, and has made it all the way to me

8 Likes

I am not accusing anyone. Just a lot of coincidences at one point? The person has not been on for 3 weeks. And before that she was absent for over a year. Like I said in a previous post, I am new to this website. I will contact the postcrossing support to have them look at it.

Iā€™m astonished that of my nine expired cards, three of them are to Germany. All posted this year. I canā€™t remember this happening at all last year.

2 Likes

I have 2 expired in Germany! One to an active member so that is lost forever (itā€™s over 200 days now if I remember correctly), the other to someone who hasnā€™t logged in in 3 months or so.

Even before the pandemic, I had a card that never made it to Germany to a member that was still registering, and at least 2 to German members who stopped logging in. Even Germany is not immune! :wink:

That said, if someone registers 150 cards in two days, Iā€™d probably go to the adminsā€¦ There might be a good reason but if thatā€™s what they regularly do, itā€™s not exactly niceā€¦

I sent a postcard to a ghostcrosser in December, and was a bit annoyed it never got registered because it would have counted towards the ā€œpostcards for a good causeā€-challenge. Contacted the person to no avail, asked admins to look into it in February I think, nothing they could do. Ach well, I thought, so be it, who knows how many postcards to me got lost on the way, it just it what it is.

And then today, months later, I got a message that it was auto-registered because the account was closed. Of course I donā€™t know why, but I have to admit I felt a bit of satisfaction over the ā€œinjusticeā€ of them just disappearing having been eradicated. Of course I would have preferred them actually receiving the card and hopefully getting some joy out of it, but the card being auto-registered now is the second best option.

Who knows what happened, and I do hope they havenā€™t died or something - something I suspect happened to one of the people I sent to a couple of years ago, a very active elderly person with thousands of cards, who suddenly stopped all their activity, and weeks later their account was closed.

5 Likes

To be completely fair, the recipient may not read/write in the language proficiently enough to write a response they feel confident in sending. Admittedly, if they havenā€™t filled out their profile/donā€™t appear to be active, they may not be interested in Postcrossing anymore for whatever reason.
That being said, they may not know what to say, or they may not feel confident enough in their written language skills to write out a long profile. The post card may make their day, but they may not be able to confidently express that. That doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t/shouldnā€™t use Postcrossing, it just means they have room to grow in that respect. :heart:

10 Likes

May be you are right, I could visualize your point of view. Thanks.:pray:

3 Likes

Just as some clarification from part of the discussion ā€“ accounts do get deleted. I had an account (same username) that was last truly active in 2009. (No loose ends though - I had sent & registered any postcards I got.) Life got in the way and I stopped Postcrossing for a while, and when I came back a few weeks ago all traces of that old account were gone and I had to sign up again. At least I can view my old stats in the emails I never deleted, lol.

Itā€™s tricky with the accounts that seem to just be abandoned in the middle of things though. I imagine there are so many different reasons, but itā€™s certainly a bummer to never have your postcard registered regardless. It would be kind of neat if there were a ā€˜sent but expiredā€™ list I suppose, instead of just an auto-register for expired ones.

3 Likes

It happened to me too!

My sugarandspice account was deleted and its content lost :disappointed:

I had to start a new one.

3 Likes

Over the years Iā€™ve been postcrossing, many of my expired postcards have gone to postcrossers who had signed in the past 30 days when I got their address, but never signed in again. And, by the time the expired postcard goes to poscard heaven after 365 days, the receiver has not been logged on for 11 months. In a way I wish those postcards could be registered automatically. If the receiver ever got the postcard, but doesnā€™t bother to register the postcard, or if the postcard got lost, I have no idea.

For those postcard where the receiver is active, the postcard might have been lost, and I sometimes send a message and ask if they have received the postcard or not (I might have forgotten to put the ID on). Most of them does not answer. If I get an answer I might send a new postcard.

6 Likes

A card sent in November last year to a newbie (sent four, received two) comes into this category - though they did log in to their site around six weeks ago. I wish that these accounts were closed and the cards sent to them auto-registered.

I have been lucky this year, no ghostcrossers so far! Though some to Russia and China have vanished, which is pretty normal in my experience.