Experiences as a newbie

If you send a postcard with correct postage, an address, a nice message, and the Postcrossing ID, you’re already “doing it right”! :wink:

4 Likes

yes absolutely. postcrossing is suppose to be a fun hobby, definitely not something you should stress about. and like @truenorth_49 said, even if you don’t have the perfect postcard for someone, most people will still appreciate the card and the message. some people don’t, but honestly that is more their problem.

and also. if you enjoy postcrossing and still love sending out cards in a few years, you will probably have a lot of cards to send, like most of us. suddenly everywhere you see postcards :grin:

5 Likes

I just saw people on Facebook complaining in the comments to the recent PC statistics for 2020 that there is way to much Germany (both on the “sent to” and “received from” side). That’s a bit sad as I am also new and got the feeling I just add to the bulk. That’s why I wrote my above comment. But I know that this is not the general opinion.

5 Likes

I have received over 5000 postcards and about 25% comes from Germany. Still loving each and every one of them :blush:

14 Likes

Hey welcome!
I find getting a new address exciting too! It’s just the thought of the search to find a postcard they’d like. I love it!!

2 Likes

Hello Jarulf and other new folks. Welcome to our little neck of Postcard Paradise. :stuck_out_tongue: I just launched a new January offer of **Free ** postcards in the Forum. I had this running for 10 years in the old Forum. Neat way to get some nice cards (again FREE) each and every month. Here is the link:
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/re-opened-january-2021-gratis-postcards-unwritten-postcards-for-you/42443

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Personally I’m relieved when I draw a German address, because I know that (1) it will arrive, and (2) it will take less than 3 weeks to arrive. Your postal mail system is outstanding.

24 Likes

@Jarulf @kampfetka @SiLV @MaWe @EdinburghLady

I recently picked up WASHI tape which is NEW to me! Thanks to Postcrossing I found out its use. For
decorating the written side of the postcards! Who knew? You’ll see what I mean when you receive a postcard where someone has done this. I’m so excited to try it too!!

8 Likes

Another newbie here and I felt the exact same. I admit with lockdown here I’ve spent some time looking and shopping online for new cards. But that part has been fun too! I’m a collector at heart (of stamps and now postcards) so there will be something of value in every card, the message, the card, the stamps or maybe all three! :slight_smile: It’s amazing what this hobby has done to encourage mail usage and all these small businesses across the globe selling cards, it’s truly wonderful. I put some sparkly stickers on a few cards I sent out recently and now I realize I need more stickers too! I loved stickers as a child so this is rejuvenating that interest as well, truly amazing.

14 Likes

I like it, too… from the very north of Germany to the very south where my sister lives in a small town at Lake Konstanz a letter takes ONE day, a parcel may take two (pre-Christmas 3 or 4) days, and in general, German post is very reliable I would say.

5 Likes

:heart:Welcome to the world of post crossing… I’m relatively new also but I’ve learned along the way a little effort goes a long way but I also know most people are genuinely happy just to be send a post card. I do my best to match who likes what but sometimes I struggle and I have over 400 to choose from​:joy: but sometimes I do over think as well. I think the majority of people are delighted just to get the card I know I am and I always love a surprise. Its the thought that counts. Happy post crossing :heart::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hello to the newbies! I’m a semi newbie compared to others as I started in January of 2019. I live in a tiny town with only one place that sold a few cards; so almost anytime I’ve driven anywhere new I look to see if they have a store that might sell cards. In the US I’ve found them at Hallmark stores, state tourist “rest stops”, gas stations (big ones where truckers go), antique stores, or any tourist type place-I just go to their gift shop. I’ve ordered online too.

I will say, patience is key. I personally felt PC was very slow to start. I’m at 17 cards traveling now, and I still think it’s a slow year, but here in the US it’s probably due to the Post Office/Covid/elections and worldwide due to Covid. I was anxious to send out more cards as I’m on the happier to send then receive side.

And I completely agree with those that stated…what doesn’t appeal to you might appeal to someone else. One of the cards I picked once to send was due to the person stating on their profile to choose a card you wanted to get rid of. It ended up being one of my more popular ones! So you just never know. :slightly_smiling_face:

This will hopefully be a lot of fun for you. From choosing a card to picking out stamps. Knowing you will make someone else happy is a good thing! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Don’t stress too much…the ideas given are just options but if you can’t match it then it’s not the end of the world. :grinning:

3 Likes

Exactly! I think I’ll always be curious and a little eager just before I hit that button to request a new one. I hope I do at least.

Oh, that’s a very generous offer. And you’ve been doing it for ten years! Wow. I’ll check it out, thanks.

1 Like

I learned about WASHI tape the other day, a youtuber I think. People really make fantastic things with just a few strips of that, a few coloured pens, a sticker or two (and neat handwriting). And then there are the people who make their own cards. Some are really amazing, and I hope I’ll get one or two of those.

I’m not sure I’ll go down that rabbit hole, but I did buy a sheet of stickers from a French shop.

3 Likes

@whitefroststreetboi @PinkNoodle @GrapeGirl

Ok, I won’t throw anything away. These cards may get their own box though.

I just thought of a way of getting a few rarer cards, I occasionally support a kickstarter for comics and these often come with a card or two, and I know I have a few. I think some of the creators have more to sell as well. It won’t be cheap, but it’ll be a way to support a creator a little extra, and hopefully a few interesting cards for anyone into these kinds of things.

6 Likes

Come on, it’s awful, and hardly even in the fun kind of way like The Room :sweat_smile:.

Prove them wrong :blush:, make up for quantity in quality. If I ever feel let down by postcards from Germany, it’s because it’s another generic photo of an industrial site with all of “Hello from Duisberg” on the back, but those postcards would be a bit of a letdown from anywhere.

This is one of my all-time favourite postcards from Germany, I love the retro aspect of it:

And this one recently went up on my fridge, it just carries its mood so well:
3 Likes

Anyone receiving such a card should appreciate it from the collector’s value alone :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: (as there is no DuisbErg :laughing: :innocent: :joy:; edit: I realized now you meant the one-liner-message; well, without the official typo the collector’s value might not increase that much, but still).
It’s offtopic, but there really is a dynamic where super-cards from superuser-countries are received somehow less enthusiastic than standard-cards from superrare-countries. Still, that should not make feel superuser-countries-users to be forced to send extramile-supersuper-cards. It’s send a card … not feel guilty about the popularity of postcrossing in your country. (instead all complainers could/should think what they can do to increase the number of users in their neighbourhood)

Back to topic: museums might be another good place where local cards can be found (see also various threads where to find cards, also in the local-language-communities here)

3 Likes

First of all it’s “Duisburg”. Secondly Duisburg is part of the Ruhrgebiet (Ruhr area, Ruhr district). The Ruhrgebiet was (and still is) affected by coal mining and steel production. The Ruhrgebiet can be considered as the heart of Germany’s Wirtschaftswunder (economic miracle) after WW2. So those industrial sites are places full of history and culture and a lot of Germans (at least those living there) are proud of them. Also there isn’t much more to see due to this very special and unique history. You always have to keep this in mind when receiving a card from this part of Germany.

BTW: Two of those industrial sites in the Ruhrgebiet and in the Saarland are now UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex and the Völklingen Ironworks.

1 Like