Event : International St Patrick's Day Meetup

Ireland and beyond
Ireland
15.00 UTC
This is an Internationl meetup on Zoom which unfortunately
we cannot have in person due to the current pandemic.

We will produce a special postcard for the occasion and you can see it below thanks to @lenny-fox .
If you are interested in joining us on 17th March for some fun and Craic please post below and I can send you a link nearer the time.

9 Likes

Hello Fellow Postcrossers!

If you would like your signature on the meet-up card, please message me by Wednesday March 3rd.
https://www.postcrossing.com/user/lenny-fox

Sláinte,
Christine
(lenny-fox)

2 Likes

I would like to attend but this is in the middle of the work day for me - so I’ll see how I can work around it.

1 Like

This sounds fun! Hoping to join you from Wisconsin, USA.
d

1 Like

I would love to join you!

1 Like

I would love to join the Ireland St Partick’s meeting! And to honour that great day, I will made a special discount code in my shop with 50% off for all Ireland related postcards (valid only 17 March 2021)! :smiley: Just use the code STPATRICKS50 in my shop - and you’ll receive that nice discount :slight_smile: https://postcardsmarket.com/discount/STPATRICKS50
PS - EU MOTW and EU FOTW are included also :wink:

4 Likes

I love to join the St Patrick’s day meeting, looking forward to see everybody

1 Like

Count me in, I had a great time at the last Irish meetup I attended. I note that this occurs after we shift clocks ahead here for summer time, so I’ve set it on my calendar as it is posted for 1500 UTC, which will be 1100 here on the east coast of North America. Do you shift to summer time in Ireland? Should I use four hours difference or five? Will St. Patrick be altering the speed of the earth’s rotation for this event to compensate? Do tell!

1 Like

Hi Eric I am no expert on time conversion LOL.
If it is 3pm Irish time it will be 11am Eastern time on 17th I recon.
Kind Regards
Brian

DST does not start here until 28th March

1100 local is what I’d figured as well. The problem with the whole time conversion thing is that it is not just straight math. There’s the date line, for one thing, but we don’t have to mess with that being in the same hemisphere. The math is easy, just arc to time conversion (arc on left, time on right):

360 degrees of arc = 24 hours, so
15 degrees of arc = 1 hour (or 60 minutes)
1 degree of arc (60 minutes of arc) = 15 minutes
15 minutes of arc = 1 minute of time

Well, you get the idea. Thus each time zone would normally be 15 degrees of latitude wide (barring political boundaries/deviations), so all of the time zones are centered on longitudes divisible by 15 and 7.5 degrees of longitude wide. You guys are centered at at the zero meridian, which should make it easy. But go look at a a time zone map and you see the zone boundaries all deviate all over the place. Political boundaries. Then add in who keeps summer time and who doesn’t , and when they shift, and it becomes, well, ugh. Knowing when you shift in Ireland was the key, thanks!

I would love to join this meeting, so count me in!

2 Likes

Hi. I’m new to Postcrossing and have never been to a meetup. I would love to attend your St Parrick’s Day one. I think it will be 7am for me so I may be a bleary-eyed!

1 Like

Count me in (7am PST in the USA), especially since it will be my Birthday! :four_leaf_clover: :birthday: :partying_face: :champagne:

3 Likes

Hi I am interested in attending. Send me the link

1 Like

I have a headache now!

Last call!! Would anyone else attending the Meet-up like their signature/stamp added to the postcard? I’ll be sending them to the printers in the morning.

Cheers,
Christine

3 Likes

Hi, I’d like to participate too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to participate to this meeting

1 Like

I would like to try to participate :smiley:

1 Like