Etsy, Zazzle and Print-On-Demand Services

It is interesting how much the two finishes change the picture. The semi-gloss looks a lot more contrasted! Is the difference this noticeable in real life as well?

Yes the semi-gloss are much more vibrant but easier to smear ink on :frowning: I wish they would do a semi-gloss front and matte back.

3 Likes

We have a printing service that makes an alert when the image won’t print well or might not look good. I like that. I tried zazzle, and it accepted everything our service warned about. Maybe zazzle thinks it’s good to let people print what they want, but on the other hand, it can make people assume it’s zazzle’s fault.

I have the chance to edit my postcards with my photos (which I sell in shops and at etsy). Shipping costs become difficult for abroad at etsy because they ask that it be sent by registered mail, and it is very expensive for countries other than France.

I’m still sort of new to Postcrossing, but Zazzle has so many options and subjects so I like it. I bought quite a few!

1 Like

I recently got 2 cards from a similar service and the address sharing was exactly my concern so I asked postcrossing if such services are allowed. Here is the reply I got:

“I should clarify that the usage of this kind of services is not forbidden in Postcrossing. We know that sending/receiving postcards via one of these websites or apps isn’t the same thing… but sometimes it is the only way for some members to enjoy Postcrossing. Think about countries without postal ties, remote places where people don’t have easy access to postcards or a post office, or most commonly, people with severe disabilities. These are some of the reasons for which we don’t think we should outright forbid them on the site.
That said, it might a good idea to mention in your profile that you’d rather not receive this type of postcards if they bother you — I’m sure most members will be happy to oblige, if they can.”

EDIT: since my post was move here from another topic, my post is about Touchnote and similar services (that print a postcard including a message and mail it to the recipient), not Etsy or Zazzle

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that response from Admin - I can understand their response but I’d say generally a large % of Postcrossers consider giving these third parties their address, without permission, a violation of their privacy.

6 Likes

Yeah I guess I haven’t been doing a touchnote type service because I get an actual postcard and fill everything out myself, I’m just creating the pictures on the postcards myself but not sharing any information.

I agree, I wasn’t happy my address was shared, but I also understand the reasoning why it’s not forbidden.
To me, these type of services doesn’t make much sense for postcrossing, it’s like outsourcing the fun part - sending an actual postcard

4 Likes

Well if we’re really trying to make Postcrossing accessible to as many people as possible, then it makes sense to allow these services to be used.

There certainly are many countries without a functioning, affordable postal system or don’t have a culture of sending postcards & the more we can include people with disabilities & make Postcrossing accessible to them, the better.

3 Likes

Also, one problem with these third party services is, the sender never sees the card and the “quality”. (Unless they test send one for themselves.)
I have received one with not exactly the same image as the sender uploaded, and the text ended suddenly. To me seemed the sender copied their profile text, but didn’t check if all fits there (and the service didn’t warn?). The card was sent from different country and continent than the sender lived, so it felt a little disappointed :grin:, although I know it can happen when the person sends the card themselves. (So I wonder would they have sent it knowing the image is different and not all text fitted there?)

(But I have received nice ones too, one sender explained they had some accident, and that’s why they use the service, although they don’t own explaining me anything, but it felt nice.)

"Keep private information private.

The addresses given to you are private information and can only be used for Postcrossing purposes. Do not share them with anyone or make them public on the internet. This also applies to what is written on the postcards you have received, so please do not scan it."

this is what the community guidelines say and i am a little bit confused about the “can only be used for postcrossing purposes”-part, now.
i am just asking, because i received two postcards through such services recently and quoted the guidelines to the senders, but now i feel i was wrong to do so. .:upside_down_face:

and if a 3rd party like touchnote is okay to use, does it mean i can ask anyone in the world to write and send a postcard to an address i have been given here, because it’s
for postcrossing purposes?

2 Likes

Long before Postcrossing I used a similar service like Touchnote to send postcards with my own photos via mobile phone to my friends.
The postcards had an “okay” quality. But…to make it short: in the end I had to change my mobile phone number and email address because I got spammed without an end. Though they promised my data will never be shared with a third party “except the used mail services” :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

And I know at least one friend got mail spam for several years after receiving the card. We’re sure it was that postcard service because I made a strange typo in his name and all the spam mail wrote his name with the same typo.

I would never again use such a service and hope also that anybody who draw my address will read in my profile that I do not wish to get such cards.

10 Likes

How I see it, no. Because these third party services should have some responsibilities and people pay for it and I suppose these are legal. Just some random person, or friend, in my eyes is not at all the same.

A little same as I can leave my mail for post to deliver it, but it’s not ok to give it to someone who travels to Germany, and let it bring it to this person.

I think it’s ok to tell it, nothing wrong there. And of course to tell that you don’t like your address shared. How will they know it otherwise.

(I actually think the not able to write etc, is a little exaggeration. They do need to write the touchnote or similar card too, so they are able to produce text. They obviously have ways to order these cards to be sent, so why not rather order these home, write the text, print etc. And a remote place reason not very likely either, I have received these cards mainly from German and USA members, not very remote places at all. So are these allowed for one in a million just in case? I can live with it, but if someone shares my address they must live with it that I will tell I don’t like it :smile: (I still thank for the card of course, and I do understand sometimes this is the easiest way.))

If it’s really remote place where mail doesn’t work, and they must use other country’s postcards sending service, how will they get the cards themselves then?

1 Like

If you dont have a local source for cards perhaps you can contact a regional museum and see if they have cards in their gift shop. I call or email these places and ask them to assemble a variety pack; they charge my credit card and send to me. This helps support them and I get cards that are reflective of my area. Personally Im not a fan of Zazzle cards so I look for other options

3 Likes

Oh that’s a good idea. I’ll see if any of our museum’s do that. Thanks for the suggestion @Izzy2018

1 Like

I used to order postcards on print-on-demand platform. I use Photobook platform to make and order print-on-demand postcards. It’s available in Asia-Pacific and some major countries.
I haven’t used another platforms due to I’m not sure that they’re available in Thailand. (It’s easier when I use some platforms that available in Thailand and it can pay by the domestic method.)

Sometimes I want some postcard that matches with stamps, or related with the destinations I go (because the postcards are rare items in some provinces.), or I’ve some photographs that I take and I think it should share my journey memories to another postcrossers, especially some tourist attractions.

You have to select the pictures, design and order yourself. You can order 15/30 postcards per order (1 design or 15 designs for each order). It costs THB 400 (15 postcards) and THB 500 (30 postcards) and shipping fee about THB70, but it can be reduced for some promotion period. It is shipped with a postcard box. — You can design postcards yourself for personal use. (Your pictures are not shown by another one.) So, it has no problem about the copyrights. (And if I use my taken photos, no worry with the copyrights at all!)

I used to order it 2 years ago, and I’ve just order it again for my trip next week. Postcard size is 14.5cm x 10cm, and the paper is ultra thick fine art card without any laminating (that it’s good for making maxicards and marking the postmark in it).

I’m OK if I receive some print-on-demand services. I’m also send some print-on-demand services sometimes that these postcards (especially the pictures on the postcards) meet the receiver’s requirement.

1 Like

So I am torn about what kind of material to get postcards in. Lately, I have been taking advantage of Zazzle (Here in the U.S. it’s one of the best websites to get postcards). I am on a budget, yet I like to keep a variety on hand to have a little something of everything for everyone. :rofl: I am not thrilled with their size though, but it’s still a standard postcard size. The thing I am torn about and find myself contemplating which to choose, should I use glossy (like the glossy photo paper type) or paper (thicker cardstock)? The paper quality is heavy stock but to me, the picture quality at times isn’t as “polished” looking as if I get it on glossy paper. Also, I know some are picky about their postcards (especially Deltiologists). I guess I am looking for what others prefer, paper or glossy?

1 Like

I’ve used Zazzle since the beginning of my PC journey & I love getting postcards made or making my own designs. I love their sales as I can get cards for 80-85 cents each, making it most affordable.

I used to choose glossy at first because sometimes the images pop more, but not always, but I realized after a while that the matte paper isn’t that different colour/image wise & that they are a much heavier weight paper & can stand up going through the postal machines much better.

So now I do all my cards on matte paper & I get lots of compliments on them. Have fun!

3 Likes

You should look into “Where To Buy Postcards” in the Forum. You will find a number of sellers** who offer a variety of good quality cards. I never cared for Zazzle. I won a bunch of their cards at auction …cheaply. Very poor quality + I never liked generic cards. I eventually gave them away.

Concerning price, look for sellers who offer good, high quality cards at a reasonable price per card. Don’t go the cheap route; you will be unhappy and so will be the people who get your cards. I would say you should expect to pay between $0.50 - $1.00 per card; $2.50 each is excessive. Enjoy.

** including yours truly.

5 Likes