Etiquette question: sending holiday cards (Halloween, Christmas, New Years)

I like sending and receiving Christmas and New Year cards.
If the recipient of my Postcrossing card mentions they do not wish to receive any holiday cards, I send them a different postcard.
If there is no preference mentioned, I usually decide what to send based on what their profile says.
I think most postcrossers wouldn’t be offended if you sent them a holiday card.
I have never celebrated Halloween, but it’s ok to send me a Halloween card. :wink:

1 Like

For me that’s neither fish nor flesh. Either the religious content of the holiday means something to the sender, so that it feels right to name the holiday, or the holiday means nothing to the sender, then just omit it at all.

2 Likes

Personally I chose to put in my profile that I’m okay with (and would love to get) holiday cards no matter the holiday or religion they are from.

2 Likes

Yes. I think this is where people think that is “our tradition”, while christianity is something “religious” and forced here/not our own thing

Yes, this too!

I love Christmas and I would love to receive many postcards, I am from Chile, if someone exchange… Let me know.

Well, lutherans celebrate reformation day on that date and catholics celebrate all saints day the next day, both no events to sell huge amounts of stuff…

No,I’d take “happy yule” as religious as “merry christmas”, it is just your northern name for it.And even if yousay it has nothing to dowith christianity, then it has todo with the old northern gods like Thor and is also religious.

1 Like

Yes. This I was thinking should I explain, but it’s hard to do it in a neutral way.
I know christianity is also part of our our culture now.
But, christianity has taken what already was here, given their names to things, and what didn’t fit to their frame, was/is forbidden.

What I call tradition, traditional religion, is tradition in that “older” way, that is was formed by the ones who were here, they felt some places special, or some signs, they felt gifting to birds is gifting to dead loved ones. Things like this christian church wanted to forbid. (So it’s easily seen invasive.)

So, I think I want to say, institutional religion is often easily seen as worse, regional/folk religion more as “just tradition”. And I can understand this.

A little like chain clothing vs traditional costume. Both are clothes. Some think sending HM commercial is not nice, but still like card of traditional dress.

(But; as any topic, or in normal life, I can listen what someone has to say. I don’t have to agree. To me the texts and topics in the cards are like that.)

But I understand to you both can be equal religions, I wanted to clear what I mean, why to me yule is not (as) religious as christmas is.

2 Likes

But traditionsl religions were also institutional. The institutiins were the headlings, chiefs, leaders and the shamans.

I don’t see it that way. Traditional religion is shared within ethnic groups, while christianity wants to take over that too, and put it into it’s mold. Like HM taking the traditional costume, saying it’s the same they have maybe, trying to sell it to so many as possible, forbidding the others shops. While the one who originally wears this costume, has no will to take it outside their land/living area, and knows the situations and ways to wear it.

The HM shop as an institution is rebuildable almost anywhere, like christianity, but the costume, as a tradition, taken out of context, might be absurd, and the costume is not meant to be the only clothing for anyone.

I don’t know if you already understand my view and you just see these as a same :slight_smile:
If so, I’m sorry for the repeat.

2 Likes

I see your point. I just do not share it. In my opinion, religion is religion, no matter if it is traditional.

I see them more as fall and winter seasonal cards rather than holidays and I stocked up on sugar skull stamps as well as Santa ones. Many profiles specifically ask for Halloween and Christmas cards, but I dont generally send them to majority Islam nations unless requested

1 Like

I only send them when they are requested in their profiles. Personally, I like Christmas postcards but I do not like to receive those relating to religious nativity theme or Santa Claus.

But what is religious holiday differs to everyone even if it is the same holiday. Christmas is religious holiday for Christians but it is just a cultural holiday for atheist. Easter is considered religious holiday in some countries but not in others. I don’t think we should avoid using “merry Christmas”, it is the name of the holiday.

I have been wished happy Halloween, happy Lunar New Year and happy Diwali. I didn’t know I was supposed to get offended because I don’t celebrate them. I don’t know what makes people so afraid of their own culture. It is not the first time I see this discussion and I just don’t understand it. It is always only about Christmas or Easter. Some people are so scared to talk about them but why?? I don’t see people from other cultures to be worried to tell about their celebrations (and rightly so because there is nothing to be ashamed of). Sorry for the rant.

11 Likes

The birth of Jesus Christ as son of God and as God’s present to the world showing his love, is the core of Christmas. So it sounds strange to me if someone likes Christmas cards, but not if they show the cote of Christmas.

In the USA, Christmas is very commercialized, so a lot of people celebrate it as a cultural holiday, and not so much as a religious holiday.

8 Likes

I think the etiquette is simple, don’t send cards with these themes to those who write on their profiles that they don’t like these themes, as few have stated above :blush:

Of course these themes no need to be sent to places that culturally are similar. That would be boring, wouldn’t it? As postcrossing is part of knowing and learning new things (for me)

Like I’m not Irish and I don’t understand what’s Saint Patrick’s Day. But I’ve received card about it written by someone who’s part of Irish and explain some part of the culture and activity about the day. That’s what makes it interesting! A personal message. Same with Christmas, I’m sure tradition of Christmas in US isn’t the same as in Italy, or Japan etc for example. It goes with many international holidays

I also don’t celebrate few religious holidays, however if someone wish me about it, I take it as general good wishes :wink: and the fact that they also share they joy about it

4 Likes

Same here, nevertheless it is strange to me.

I think when people really don’t like a type of card, they’ll note it in their profiles. So if someone doesn’t specifically say they don’t want holiday cards, I would consider it ok to send those types of cards to them. Although, personally, I don’t send holiday cards as it’s not something I’m used to doing. I’m making more of an effort now due to Postcrossing and how people seem to enjoy it. :wink: Although I have to admit, I fail miserably sometimes and only send out 1-2 cards. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One thing I do want to point out, though, is that some people prefer postcards and not double-sided cards. That’s probably the only thing I would be careful of when sending someone a holiday card.

4 Likes

I think those of us who are not part of that faith group have learned to work around it. I enjoy gift giving, special foods, seeing friends etc…all the fun stuff. Its like being a vegetarian and going to a steakhouse; they have great salads, potatos & desserts. You just learn to ignore the other stuff.

10 Likes