Edited/deleted posts

Since this topic created last November has reappeared on my radar, I stand by my original question. What is the point of having post-edits available for everyone to see? To @Feuerstuhl, how many people edit wikis? A tiny number.

However, as in so many other things, it’s not my forum and that’s how it is run. One has to take it or leave it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sure ,my point is they can limit seeing edits to just members or moderators.Or giving users a choice do you want to be visible edit or not?

You can see the edit history by clicking on the pencil icon in the top right of someone’s post. If there’s no pencil, they haven’t edited it.

Edited so you can see the differences

1 Like

Hello dear @SailingBy and @bayankod,

Yes, you still can read edited posts , even when you’re not a forummember .
( I also checked the edited posts, a few minutes ago. I wasn’t logged in . )

You could check this page occasionally :

https://community.postcrossing.com/faq

“We may amend the rules on this page occasionally. Please check this page now and then, to make sure you’re up-to-date on any changes. Last updated: 12 Dec 2020.”

2 Likes

I don’t know if that’s possible in Discourse (this forum’s software) and TBH I’m not about to research that.

1 Like

It depends on the nature of the wiki. I have a wiki as gallery in the Goody Two Shoes :ballet_shoes: Chaotic Nonsense RR where everyone can add images of received cards and, especially if you consider any future participants, I think there are going to be quite a lot of people who edit this wiki.
But independent of wikis, I think it is a very useful feature. As host of three RRs, I am quite glad that I can check there if I accidentally delete or add the wrong thing to/from a group, accidentally delete a whole group – this already happened :grimacing: So, yeah, the edit history is great :+1: Sometimes, it is just interesting. I really like it in tags as well. Sometimes, the rules of a game are changed – and often, we are not notified. In the old forum, it used to be a source of great confusion for me. But now I can see that, no, my memory does not trick me, the rules were indeed as I remember, but they were changed. It is easier to protest against these changes, too, now that we can see them and exactly how and when they were changed :slight_smile:

@saintursula There is a five minute grace period (for typos etc.) where changes are not recorded as edit in the edit history. If you want it to actually show up as edited, you have to wait at least five minutes before you edit your post.

5 Likes

I guess just for typos not for deleting a lot of words or deleting a comment

Ah I had no idea about that, thanks!

1 Like

Yes, well, some of us don’t do round robins, tags, swaps, trades. We’re only here to send postcards and get some back. Are you saying that showing the contents of edited posts should continue for all the round-robbiners, taggers, swappers and traders? Answer: yes, probably.

Therefore, as previously surmised, it’s just something we have to put up with.

1 Like

This is one of the reasons I’m glad we can see edits. In the old forum I recall a tag game that led to a discussion regarding the original rules, which of course we couldn’t see anymore. That will never happen again :blush:

Wikis are great! My favourite is the one with suggestions on where to buy postcards.

2 Likes

If you are a member or not you can see comments edited parts too?What about giving a choice to users like do you want to visible edits or do you not want visible edits?

There is a “grace period” from the time of the original post. I think it’s 5 minutes. If you edit within that time, edits are not visible.

Edit: Oops, I see Feuerstuhl already mentioned this.

2 Likes

Thank you @saintursula, now I understand :slight_smile: I thought the edit mark is just an icon!

Edit. but I didn’t see your edit, but some else edits.

That’s been discussed here:

4 Likes

For the first time ever, I feel like flagging a post for being Off Topic. How would that go down, reporting a Moderator for being Off Topic? (probably badly, so I didn’t)

The topic is: Edited/Deleted Posts, not Polls. It had died a death until @bayankod exhumed it two months later. But as kids say, “whatever…”

It also reduces confusion in normal discussions where everybody can edit their post to theoretically say the exact opposite. If people can see the original post, too, the whole discussion might make more sense for everyone who reads the topic later.

5 Likes

I really don’t see what exactly is the problem. If people are bothered by the old versions being visible, I have one advice for them: whatever you think shouldn’t be visible in your edit history - don’t post it in the first place. Problem solved :slight_smile:

Friendly reminder: nothing ever dies on the internet!

12 Likes

Why is it “off topic” when someone refers to something which you yourself have posted before?
Shouldn’t you flag your own post instead because you were the first who went “off topic”?

14 Likes

I am very uncomfortable with this feature. What if I accidentally post my address, thinking I am replying to someone privately? If I edit it out it will forever be visible to all. If I delete it it will be there for a day. Do I not have the right to withdraw my data if I so wish? What if I’m posting here drunk and say something very rude and regret it later?

Sure, display the usual edited four minutes ago but let us have the right to erase what we wish. At a minimum, have a clear notice displayed every time a post or reply is being written, letting us know that whatever we say is public and permanent.

3 Likes

This happens sometimes in the penpal section, for example. The best thing to do is flag the post for the moderators, they can delete the post sooner than after 24h.

8 Likes